Author Topic: What level of protection in riding boots?  (Read 23970 times)

Offline JS_racer

Re: What level of protection in riding boots?
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2015, 04:57:03 AM »
Replaced my Strada Air, about 9 years old with some of this.  ;)

My Strada Gore Tex are long in the tooth and will need to be replaced soon!
Coming from a dirt background I love the tall boots!

For me, Sidi boots are all-day comfortable straight out of the box!

:thumbs:   SIDI Vertigo here

Offline jtk1531

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2015, 11:22:06 PM »
I just got these a couple of days ago and the are comfortable,waterproof and has enough protection and isn't going to break the bank.the first day I got them I put them on and did some in house work for about 3 hours the went for a 50 mile ride and my feet felt great.these boot didn't even need broke in.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-cape-horn-boots#activate_zoom

i wear Forma Adventure boots to work everyday. boots worn for at least 8-9 hours per day, it's comfortable enough for walking around.
doesn't feel that hot in tropical temperatures around here. totally waterproof so far, and i've been using it for at least 3 years+. i do ride in the rain quite often.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-adventure-boots

too bad cape horn boots weren't available when i was shopping for a new pair of boots.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2015, 06:06:26 AM »
I wear TCX infinity Gore-tex boots.  Absolutely waterproof, great traction soles, and awesome protection. http://www.revzilla.com/product/tcx-infinity-gtx-boots?gclid=COTT1q7G1cYCFdgZgQodltUCfw

Looks like they have a new improved boot.http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-infinity-evo-gore-tex-boots

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2015, 09:37:42 AM »
Just came back from Gettysburg bike week last night, I put my forma cape horns on at 7:30 am and they didn't come off till 11:00 pm my feet didn't hurt at all these things are like sneakers.they did get alittle warm but it was 80-85 degs out my feet were not wet or sweaty and I only had liner sock and a light pair of socks.when these wear out I will be getting another pair.

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2015, 09:48:09 PM »
I just got these a couple of days ago and the are comfortable,waterproof and has enough protection and isn't going to break the bank.the first day I got them I put them on and did some in house work for about 3 hours the went for a 50 mile ride and my feet felt great.these boot didn't even need broke in.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-cape-horn-boots#activate_zoom

I went with almost the same. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forma-adventure-boots   After all this rehab I have 7 screws and a plate in one ankle and a hardware store n the other leg. Tried several boots and Revzilla just kept em coming. Ended up with the Forma Adventures as they had hard protection over the screws sticking out the sides of the ankle bones. The Formas feel like a really comfy sneaker on the bottom although they are stiffer. The 3 buckles just click in place and they are most def waterproof. I have owned lots of touring boots by several different companies including Forma, TCX, Sidi and was wearing a TCX when the idjut pulled out in front of me. Too late for the Forma Adventures at that point but I would tell anyone to grab a pair of boots with hard ankle protection knowing what I know now.....and as the inmate who makes his living repairing broken feet.

Best walking around boot I ever owned was the Harley Lynx. Made by wolverine....it is just a great boot that feels like a tennis shoe.  You can do what you want but I think the boots with hard ankle protection in the riding you are doing is a smart choice.

2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline PH14

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2015, 08:56:53 PM »
I just got the TCX Explorer Evo Gore-Tex  boots for me. They have Goretex. Motorcyclegear.com has them for $169. I was looking at the TCX X-Five Plus Gore-Tex Boots since they are leather, but they were out of my size. The Explorer Evo may be better overall since they are lighter and will probably breathe better. We'll see.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/boots/tcx/explorer_evo_gore_tex_boots.html

I got the TCX X-Cube Waterproof Boots for my wife. They are on closeout for $69.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/tcx/x_cube_waterproof_boots.html

Offline PH14

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2015, 09:12:33 PM »
^ :rotflmao:

^ :rotflmao:

Well placed typos in your post, Rhino!  :chugbeer:

Sorry! Resuming boot-talk: These might be too 'boot' for you, but I like my TCX X-Ride waterproof boots a lot :) http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-x-ride-wp-boots

Not as comfortable as a sneaker, but for me very comfortable to walk around in. Easy on/off ... zipper & velcro only.

What are your thoughts on the micro fiber material? I ordered the Explorer EVO Gore-Tex boots and they are made the same way. I really wanted leather but they were out of my size in the X-Five. I liked the fact the Explorer also has some areas of cordura so they should breathe a little better and be lighter than all leather, but I am still wondering about the micro fiber.

Offline xsv

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2015, 09:31:52 PM »
Not yet mentioned, but not cheap either.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-all-road-gore-tex-boots

I've ridden in hot weather and cold and am pretty satisfied.  Most of my 24,000 mile on my bike have been with these boots.  From a commute to the grocery store to 2500 mile rides.  Easy and quick on and off.
2015 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2015, 09:08:15 PM »
What are your thoughts on the micro fiber material? I ordered the Explorer EVO Gore-Tex boots and they are made the same way. I really wanted leather but they were out of my size in the X-Five. I liked the fact the Explorer also has some areas of cordura so they should breathe a little better and be lighter than all leather, but I am still wondering about the micro fiber.

Didn't realize micro fiber was involved (til now), but I've only worn shorty socks with them and the boots are very comfortable on the legs, and overall. Feels like good construction. And I was looking for something more subtle that doesn't scream motorcycle boot too loudly when a pant leg is hanging over it.

Offline PH14

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2015, 10:39:17 PM »
Didn't realize micro fiber was involved (til now), but I've only worn shorty socks with them and the boots are very comfortable on the legs, and overall. Feels like good construction. And I was looking for something more subtle that doesn't scream motorcycle boot too loudly when a pant leg is hanging over it.

Thanks, good to hear. According to the description, the micro fibre is what they use on the uppers instead of leather. It must be okay if you didn't notice.  :D

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2015, 11:35:56 AM »
What Brant said, ankle protection. I also think easy on/off is important if your lazy like me. If they are a PITA put on, I'm more inclined forgo the boots. I have a pair of lace Icon boots with a ski boot type buckle. I replaced the laces with LockLaces.com. This allows instant on off but the buckle system keeps them on in case of crash. I always slip them on before hoping on the bike.

I wear something very similar that I picked up at Cycle Gear a few years ago for well under $100 (not the $140 for those Icon's). Not sure of the brand, but they've got great protection. They look similar to one of the Bilt branded boots, but not exactly.

I see that CG has a sale on these that you might like to try, especially given the price ($70 on sale). http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Sprint-Racer-Leather-Motorcycle-Boots or even these http://www.cyclegear.com/BILT-Pit-Motorcycle-Boots
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
Don't look like motorcycle boots to me.  I want 12" minimum.  Not just crash protection.  Heat protection from engine heat.  Rock and stick protection.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

elp_jc

« Reply #32 on: July 17, 2015, 01:51:25 PM »
I have 2 pairs of Sidi Strada boots; the tall waterproof and shorty air. I like them because they have minimal sole, which minimizes knee bend while on the pegs. And still reach the ground close to flat footing (always a compromise), which is enough for solo riding. Noticed the Connie spews more heat than other bikes, and it was roasting my ankles on my first trip. I can wear longer socks, but it's safer to move up to a mid-height boot for summer. They're longer than shorties, but not more than 10". They should provide the protection I need, but having a hard time finding one with a low 'sport' sole. I don't mind a little higher heel, but the sole forward of the heel needs to be low. Sidi only makes their mid-height boots with freaking tractor sole, which is like an inch taller. And don't have an 'air' model. I could settle for a normal boot (not air), but not waterproof, since they're a lot hotter for summer riding. And the fairing has fairly good rain protection if I happen to catch a shower. If somebody has a good alternative, please post it. Looked at Alpinestars, Sidi, TCX, and nothing. Even though my shorty boots supposedly have ankle protection, I agree with the comments that is not the case. Already have to ride with a flimsy summer jacket, but want my feet better protected. I'm a safe rider, but like to ride fast and aggressive, so need to take better precautions. Already ordered a Kula XD cooling vest, which will afford me to get a more substantial summer jacket, not the Joe Rocket Phoenix 4 I have now. Might look into air pants too, since Draggin' jeans wouldn't cut it in a fall either. The good news is I don't ride in summer much, but want to be as safe as possible. At least my noggin is well taken care of with a Shoei X-12. Take care.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline PH14

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2015, 10:03:59 PM »
Our boots arrived yesterday, motorcyclegear.com has great service. We ordered them on Monday and they arrived on Thursday.

My wife's boots fire her perfectly but mine seemed a bit too big. I prefer them to be bigger rather than tight, but thought these may be too big. I have issues since my right foot s a little bigger than the left, and I have trouble with boots being tight across the top of the right foot. I had ordered the TCX Explorer Evo Gore-Tex Boots in 43, which usually would fit. I tried them around the house and decided I would keep them, then I tried them on the bike. The left foot seemed to slide int he boot while trying to shift so I went back in the house and put on my old boots before riding.

I had originally wanted the TCX X-Five Plus Gore-Tex Boots but they didn't have a 43. They did have one 42 left, so since the 43 seemed too big, and I was going to order a 42, I ordered the X-5 Plus. I doubt it will breathe as well as the Explorer since the Explorer is synthetic and has a couple textile panels and it seems to use a newer performance Gore-Tex liner. Had I have realized they had a newer type Gore-Tex liner I might not have ordered the X-5. My thought though, was that the X-5 would be warmer in the cold months. I also though the leather would conform to my foot a little more after they break in if I have any slight tight spots. We will see.

They had the X-5 in 42 on closeout for $169, the same as they had the Explorer. Free shipping as well.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2015, 12:44:22 PM »
I just experienced a CBF (Catestrophic Boot Failure) with my CruiserWorks boots. I had them on getting ready to ride to a client and I heard a clicking type noise.  I've been hearing this on and off for awhile now.  So I took them off and the heel on the right just about fell off and the one on the left wasn't far behind.  Plus there were holes in the sole I wasn't aware of.  I've had these boots quite awhile but I was going to get another pair (different brand) when I came back from vacation. 

As it was we were in Ohio, sans bike, going to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the AF Museum with some antiquing along the way.  Saw a MC store (Ride MC Inc. between Columbus and Dayton) from 70 and decided to stop by and see what they had in stock.  I wanted a high top boot.   One of the brands was the Kili High Boot from First Gear.  Sizing was interesting as it took a 13 US size (I wear a 10.5 to  11) to fit correctly.  It was a 46 Euro and 12 UK.  I'm really glad I did not order on line as I would have went with an 11 and it would have been too small as was 12.  I can't imagine that my feet had gone from 10.5/11 to 13.  I did check later to see if anything else had grown but no luck there. :-[

These boots cost $150 and they feel pretty good so far.  I'm wearing them around the house today and tomorrow to get them broken in before I ride.  I can see that shifting might be a bit different.  We'll have to see.

Also bought a pair of Mesh overpants.  Next is another helmet as mine is being held together with epoxy at the moment.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline bbhzx12

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2015, 07:57:05 PM »
Boots with ridgid support, like my old Sidi Vertigo Corsas, offer alot of ankle protection.  Such as preventing you from shattering them if your feet hook the bars while you're being ejected over the front.  Just sayin'

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2015, 08:26:55 PM »
Cruiserworks boots don't have rigid support.  The Kili's do.  Will take a bit getting used to that, but after wearing them a few hours they feel quite good.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline mikeb2411

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 05:07:50 PM »
I just got the TCX Explorer Evo Gore-Tex  boots for me. They have Goretex. Motorcyclegear.com has them for $169. I was looking at the TCX X-Five Plus Gore-Tex Boots since they are leather, but they were out of my size. The Explorer Evo may be better overall since they are lighter and will probably breathe better. We'll see.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/boots/tcx/explorer_evo_gore_tex_boots.html

I got the TCX X-Cube Waterproof Boots for my wife. They are on closeout for $69.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/last_chance_bargains/tcx/x_cube_waterproof_boots.html

TCX X-Five for me...love them!
Mike
Ojai, CA
2016 Black Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2015, 08:31:23 AM »
I'm going to pull the trigger on a new pair of these. I've had mine for about 4 years but for the last year and a half I've been commuting with these and wearing them all day at work. They have been great but now the soles are starting to delaminate. I still think I got my money's worth.