Author Topic: Cox Rad Guard (modified Fred's Washer Location) 2008  (Read 3329 times)

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

Cox Rad Guard (modified Fred's Washer Location) 2008
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:40:04 AM »
Yesterday I was installing the Cox Racing Radiator Guard on my 2008.

I was using Fred's Washer method (Thanks) and thought to share the details as my washer tie down location point differed from Fred's.

My reasoning to use the new location was that Fred is a better mechanic than me so I took an easier to get to mounting point.

If anyone has concerns with my mounting point let me know.

BTW: Once I figured out the easier washer mounting point, install takes about 15 minutes.
However, it took me over an hour to figure out where to install the washers. (1/4" SS washers)

===

URL TO FRED's COX RAD INSTALL

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/radiatorguard
2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
Re: Cox Rad Guard (modified Fred's Washer Location) 2008
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 05:20:45 PM »
how bout another shot from a little further back if you have one?  thanks.

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 07:08:25 AM »
Photo was taken in sunlight at an angle almost straight down on the right side of the fork yoke with the handlebars turned fully left. Could not find a photo further back except for the 2 attachments.

(one a little out of focus .. the other way far back)  :)

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 10:32:54 AM »
Thanks, I was trying to get a better orientation and that helps.

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:34:47 AM »
After I put the bottom bolt it was bear trying to get to the washer so with the horn in place and the bottom bolt in I didn't attach the top of the guard and have had no problem at all, the horn holds the top of the guard in place.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »
So Cal

I recalled your posting about not using the top tie wraps, I was going that way, but Fred's install made me think and I had a few extra tie wraps in hand.

(I used over 10 tie wraps trying different methods and attachment points until I found the one I settled on).  (Kit comes with 3)

note: I am kind of a paranoid ..... I installed both Murph's fender extender and the cox radiator guard  :-\

Offline Rawman

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
I use ProjektD Radiator guard, so I have no idea.....

I hope the Cox Radiator also uses some sort of bolt in addition to tie wraps?  I would be reluctant to use tie wraps on something that will heat cycle all the time.  They WILL get brittle and eventually break.  Run it over or drag it down the road doesn't sound pleasant......

BTW, ProjectD took 10 minutes, 2 minutes reading the directions, 8 installing it, no tie wraps or finding washers....
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »
Rawman,

Your concern about long term heat cycle failure of the Cox racing tire raps is valid from a physics of failure viewpoint. If any on this news group has had the cox radiator guard issues or tire wraps failure please post the details.

I selected Cox Racing after doing a review of all the posts on rad guards and even did a poll on the old forum. Cox won over ProjekD.

(ProjekD older design rubbed against the radiator and caused a leak in at least one case and ProjekD took a while to make it right).

One personal note is that given Fred also had Cox rad guard install photos, his choice helped me decide. (sort of a tie breaker)

From what I have understood the current ProjekD radiator guard is at least easier to install that the Cox racing one.

ProjekD rad guard may now may even be better than Cox racing, time will tell.

Also, the place I decided to attach the tie wraps to the Cox guard may suffer more heat cycling that where Fred placed them or where Cox racing would suggest.

If I have any trouble with the Cox Racing Radiator Guard or the Tie Wraps, I will post such issues to the group.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 02:05:38 PM »
I am not saying Cox is better or worse than any other, was just making a common sense comment.

I had the "older" ProjektD radiator guard, but I was lucky (I guess) that I had no damage from rubbing on the radiator (not even a few scratches on mine).  But ProjektD made good by sending EVERYONE (not just those requesting one) who had ever purchased their guard a free rubber protection kit.

ProjektD uses a bracket under the bottom of the radiator and bolts to the top, after you put the new anti-vibration rubber piece between the radiator and the guard.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L