Author Topic: Random nonsense  (Read 63584 times)

Offline Strawboss

Re: Random nonsense
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2023, 02:12:03 PM »
The last non-U.S. car I bought was a '86 Honda because Ford did not have anything close to it I cared for.

Being from a Ford family where all my family and wife's family worked this was difficult.

Since then, all my vehicles were Ford as they made much better stuff for me.

I now will be looking for a new car in the next year or so.

It will not be a Ford, or a GM or a Chrysler. THEY DON'T MAKE CARS ANYMORE, only SUV's. I want a car.

Since making that stupid decision, I have written letters and told the dealer, we won't be buying our next car from Ford.

The current Honda Civic is a beautiful little car that will most likely be my next vehicle.

I know all the reasons U.S. makers are not making cars anymore, well, they make them, they just don't sell them in North America.

History repeats itself.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2023, 03:02:30 PM »
Even the used market bears that out. People want trucks and SUVs. Very few people want cars.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2023, 09:16:59 PM »
THEY DON'T MAKE CARS ANYMORE, only SUV's. I want a car.

Yep, I have noticed that as I start my long search for what might be my next car.  But your observation is not limited to just those brands.  ALL manufacturers are pushing cars aside for these SUV things that will have much poorer performance (they weigh more, have a higher center of gravity, and worse aerodynamics).  Weighing more = slower to accelerate, harder to stop, worse at cornering, and worse gas mileage (or electric range).  Higher center of gravity further hurts cornering and stability.  Plus more materials so they are more expensive.  And won't fit well into small garages.  Most people probably don't need or use that extra space, and almost none will ever leave paved roads.

But the market has spoken.  So "car" people's choices continue to dwindle.  I feel your pain.

As for "American", my first car was an 80's "American" and only now, several decades later, would I even consider an "American" car.  It has taken THAT LONG for the quality to become reasonable again.  It is worthy to note that many "foreign" cars are now made in the USA with USA labor and mostly USA or NA parts.  Not all, of course.  But it is funny because some "American" cars are actually less "American" than some non-"American" models (depending on how you measure things)  The lines can be very blurred.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2023, 03:40:37 AM »
I'm glad I'm not alone in hating SUVs and the current obsession for the damned things. I used to be able to see through/around the car in front which enabled me to see further down the road and so could gauge the flow of traffic and drive smoother. Now I have to leave such a big gap to the fat-assed opaque SUV in front that the gap inevitably gets filled with yet another fat-assed SUV.
Many of the drivers of SUVs also seem to have no clue about the width of their vehicle so they end up driving across 2 lanes. On Sunday I went for a ride on my C14 and on a narrow single lane I met a fat-assed SUV coming the other way. Since the idiot driver of it had no idea of the width of her behemoth she was too scared to pull over enough for me to pass, so we stood there for 30 secs before she realised that she had a choice of either reversing 200yds to the previous passing point, or else pulling onto the grass verge in her fully 4x4 capable Range Rover. I just stood there and waited. Eventually her passenger (husband?) got out and I thought we were going to have some words, but he just went around and took her place in the drivers seat, and drove onto the grass verge so we could both go on our way.
I drive a big 2004 Lexus LS430 because I am a big guy and am uncomfortable in most smaller cars. Our neighbours have a new e-Mustang SUV and that fat-assed monstrosity has less interior space, yet still manages to block sightlines mostly due to the tinted rear window,....in a country where it isn't sunny that often!.
The last time I was in the USA (Florida in 2016) I rented a Ford Taurus which was a nice car. The engine was a bit bland but it had plenty of space and drove nicely. It's now discontinued due to a lack of demand which is a shame, but we seem to be a minority as the people want fat-assed SUVs.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2023, 12:45:23 PM »
I'm likely in the minority around these parts. I like my SUV. At 6'5", it really helps. Fiance is 6'2", and two teenage boys, there aren't many cars that would fit the four of us. Throw in two dogs and a mess of camping gear, I've actually thought about getting a flat trailer to help... But I'm likely also in the minority that I've been driving larger vehicles my whole life. My first car was a '78 GMC 3/4 ton. Put 320 miles on a 30 foot RV this past weekend.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2023, 05:03:17 AM »
I have no objection to people having these vehicles if they need them.
My sister used to have a huge 7 seater for her + hubby + 4 kids + our Mum.
The problem is all the rest who have no need but WANT to have the biggest car because they feel inadequate otherwise.

If I was 5'10" I would happily drive a Mondeo or Focus sized car for the rest of my life.
At 6'4" I can drive them but they are uncomfortable and unsafe because I have to have the seat so far back that my head is beside the B pillar and it blocks my side view.
I have never owned a new or even nearly new vehicle because of my size. To get something big enough within budget I have to buy 15+ year old top end cars like my current 2004 Lexus LS430 and previous 2001 S-Class Merc, 1998 Acura RL, etc. Even in the SUV market, only the top end models are big enough for people my size (or bigger).

George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2023, 04:13:44 PM »
The last 4 wheel vehicle I purchased was a new 2005 Chevy Express cargo van. For track days and camping trips and for shopping for large crap like lumber. It has about 135,000 miles on it now and the only repairs it has ever needed was the AC compresser. one of my 4 or 5 bikes  (at any given time) has been my primary transportation since 2005 when Hurricane Katrina hit and gas prices around here doubled. When prices went back down I kept commuting on my bikes because I discovered it made going to work a lot more pleasant.

But  the Chevy Van was great for track days as I could just ride my Yamaha R3 right up the ramp into  it and be on my way after hooking up a few tie downs. It was also great for camping as I could just throw everything in the back and head out. I quit doing track days when Coivid closed the track and quick camping when my back got bad to bad for sleeping on an air mattress. But The van came in handing when I wrecked the C14 last year 750 miles from home.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2023, 05:58:45 AM »
I was watching Youtube the other day and caught this...  Did you know, that with Toyotas you can disable/turn off the key fob so it doesn't communicate with the vehicle?  This is for those asshats that steal cars by cloning your key fob.  I tried it on my 16 Tacoma and it worked.  So here's what you need to do.  Hold the lock button down and press the unlock twice.  This will disable the fob.  To enable, just press the unlock button.  I think it's more for the vehicles that have the ability to unlock the doors by grabbing the handle.  Not sure if it works for the older ones without that ability or it's for those with remote start.  Both of my vehicles are not remote start but it does work with them.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2023, 10:23:18 AM »
Americans are the biggest they've ever been, we've always equated "smaller" cars as things of lesser value too and less safe. The makers follow the money. If I could, I'd buy a Diesel 5-speed Fiesta from Europe or a  Ka if they still make that model, Spain?

My '22 C-14 is the first FOB vehicle I've owned, I don't care for it and I hope it's the last but I doubt it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2023, 11:40:27 AM »
Personally I like fobs and push button starting.  I rented a car the other day that used a key.  Drove me crazy trying to remember to pull it out to start the car lol as I'd always get in and look for the push button.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2023, 03:08:05 AM »
I was watching Youtube the other day and caught this...  Did you know, that with Toyotas you can disable/turn off the key fob so it doesn't communicate with the vehicle?  This is for those asshats that steal cars by cloning your key fob.  I tried it on my 16 Tacoma and it worked.  So here's what you need to do.  Hold the lock button down and press the unlock twice.  This will disable the fob.  To enable, just press the unlock button.  I think it's more for the vehicles that have the ability to unlock the doors by grabbing the handle.  Not sure if it works for the older ones without that ability or it's for those with remote start.  Both of my vehicles are not remote start but it does work with them.

My 2004 Lexus has "Smart" fobs but there is a button in the drivers footwell that switches the "Smart" side of the fob off if you want. The remote still works if you press the Lock/Unlock/Trunk buttons. The "Smart" side of it only works if the fob is within arms length of the car, so keep your fob either more than 6 feet away from the outside of your house, or else in a faraday cage (tin box?)

A colleague had his nearly new Kia stolen via a booster. He has security video of them holding the device next to his front door whilst someone else held the other half of their device next to the car. They had the car open and started in 30 secs and were gone in under 1 minute. Insurance replaced the car and he now has a Faraday cage (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09P9L3VZ6) where they hang all of their keys.

These newer security systems are not perfect, but compared to the "good old days" of keys and hotwiring they are way more secure. I saw a video many years ago of an ex-thief who took a whole 25 secs to pop the door on a car, start it and drive off. No keys and to any bystander it looked like he had dropped his keys in the foot well of the car.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2023, 08:12:25 AM »
Not sure of the rest of the world but here in Ohio we have quite a bit of a problem with people using some sort of app from Chinese tic-toc in that they are able to access the car and steal Kia's and Hyundi's to the point where dealers are offering steering wheel lock bars and law enforcement is at a loss to try to stop joy riders and thiefs.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2023, 08:20:08 AM »
I don't know the details (and don't want to know) but "apparently" the TikTok method of stealing Kia/Hyundai uses a screwdriver and a USB cable.
It is a specific defect in their cars rather than an issue with Smartkeys or such.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2023, 07:53:34 PM »
I don't know the details (and don't want to know) but "apparently" the TikTok method of stealing Kia/Hyundai uses a screwdriver and a USB cable.
It is a specific defect in their cars rather than an issue with Smartkeys or such.

^^^ This

There isn't an inherent problem with push-to-start with proximity fobs.  I have been using them for 24 years now.  The Kia/Hyundai disaster is a problem that they simply didn't include an basic engine immobilizer, like I have had, built-in, from the factory, for my last THREE cars, covering a span of **34 YEARS**.  Something we also have the C14.

The Kia/Hyundai issue isn't high-tech, they are just using electronics to get the weak DOOR electronics to unlock (yes, Kia screwed that up also) so they don't damage anything external.  Once inside the car, they get it started with a simple screwdriver because they are mechanically overwhelming the cheap ignition physical lock... the same way cars (PRIOR to engine immobilizers) have been stolen forever.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2023, 08:42:02 PM »
HAs Kia had a recall, or a fix for this yet?

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2023, 02:12:48 PM »
Not sure if they have done anything in regards to a recall if they are issuing steering wheel bar locks....maybe a stop gap measure until they can figure out how to fix it without bankrupting the company

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2023, 04:34:58 PM »
You have to wonder just how much money was "saved" by not having an engine immobilizer.  $25 to $50 per $30,000 to $50,000 vehicle?

The insurance industry must be REALLY angry.  It would not surprise me if they immediately doubled or tripled the comprehensive rates on every affected model.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2023, 07:11:43 AM »
I've owned KIAs in the early 2000's....pieces of crap.  The engine and drivetrains were good but they don't do much when the rest of the car is falling apart around them.

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/18/1177005881/kia-hyundai-theft-settlement-tiktok

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #98 on: October 19, 2023, 02:47:30 AM »
I've owned KIAs in the early 2000's....pieces of crap.  The engine and drivetrains were good but they don't do much when the rest of the car is falling apart around them.
https://www.npr.org/2023/05/18/1177005881/kia-hyundai-theft-settlement-tiktok
The early 2000s ones were crap, but they have come a LONG way since then.
They are easily a match for most of the Japanese cars now and almost as reliable as Toyota.
They offer 7 year/100k mile warranties so they are pretty confident about their product build quality.
Yes, they screwed up with the recent security issue but otherwise they are pretty decent cars.
I wouldn't buy one but that is because I wouldn't fit in any of their cars, except maybe the £60k EV9.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2023, 05:41:56 AM »
The early 2000s ones were crap, but they have come a LONG way since then.
They are easily a match for most of the Japanese cars now and almost as reliable as Toyota.

That is my understanding, as well.  I have no direct or even send-hand experience, however.  This tends to hold with a lot of Korean products (LG, Samsung, etc).  Remember that Japanese products were also crap at first and evolved quickly to match and then surpass the quality of perhaps other countries until it became, arguably, the best available anywhere.  Korea kinda followed the same path Japan did.  And I expect as their standard of living accelerates and labor becomes super-expensive, and prices get really high, another country will then also fall the same path.