Author Topic: ZERO motorcycle  (Read 1629 times)

Offline Cuda

ZERO motorcycle
« on: July 25, 2021, 04:18:54 PM »
Looking at a ZERO S I want something to take RVing or just ...

I found a place that has one with 1,800 mile 2019 It's a $14,000 + bile for $9,000 delivered

https://www.usedmotorcyclestore.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2019-Zero-Motorcycle-Scooter-S-ZF14-4-Windy-City-International-10699754?ref=list

If you look at the tires, whoever was riding It was scared chitless only ran It straight up.
WHY NOT ?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 08:58:21 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: ZERO motorcycle
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2021, 08:00:38 PM »
They look like great fun.  Fast, quiet, surprisingly light.  Problem is something like 67 mile range highway, IF you drive it very softly.  Then you are really SOL if not near a place to charge it for a long time.  So it is pretty limited to pretty short jaunts around home town.

Make sure to research battery life.  Since it is a majorly expensive wearable item.  1800 miles doesn't seem like much, so I am guessing it isn't worn that much, but I am not familiar with Zero's battery technology.  It is not likely as sophisticated as an electric car.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2021, 09:23:20 PM »
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 05:20:20 AM »
Screenshot taken today from their website, S model, which is where I was getting the 67 mile range highway (with stock, brand new battery).  It can be extended some, if you add an optional $3,000 additional battery.

The SR has a 112 mile highway range, which is considerably better (their site is very confusing, I don't know if that is stock or WITH the additional $3K battery).  Anyway I now see that the used one is a "ZF14.4" (didn't know how that mapped to model names/number) so it does have the better range.  Still not enough for most of the rides I take, though.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2021, 12:41:36 PM »
It will make it to my brothers house 115 miles, I'm going to get the big windshield and bags,

It's just for nocking around town and going with the RV easy on easy off 400 lb. VS 700

I'm turning 67 that top heavy beast is no fun getting on and off by your self.

Never sell the big girl, she's a keeper.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 06:42:15 PM by Cuda »
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline ginzburg

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 01:47:20 AM »
I don't know much about these, but it seems like they come up for auction somewhat frequently.

There are a couple DSP models right now. It looks sort of nice with the bags and windshield.

https://publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=2841512

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 09:16:03 AM »
Friend of mine has a newer zero. hes ridden it from here, to the mountains and back, which is about 220 miles each way. the regenerative charging and not having it in balls out mode all the time make a huge difference according to him. (said hes usually running on like 10%) he just topped it off when he was eating lunch since it was going to just sit.   
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2021, 03:42:15 PM »
The way it is driven will very much affect range.  What kills it the most, as can be seen by the low highway range, is wind resistance.  Bikes (especially with upright riders) aren't very aerodynamic to begin with, the Zero probably less so.  Wind resistance goes up to the square of the speed.  So the 67 or 112 mile highway range is quite believable.  At much lower speeds, it will fare much better.  Braking is always a net loss, even with regeneration (but without it, that would have destroyed the city range).

Would be neat if they had a sport touring-ish version- better fairings & storage, direct drive, large adjustable screen, more do-dads.  Oh, and at least twice the upper model range.  Who knows, at that point I might be in the market (if it were affordable).  Would be odd not having a clutch or shifter, though.  Might take away some of the fun.  Could be a reasonable trade for the smoothness, quietness, loss of weight/complexity, and extremely low maintenance.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2021, 04:36:50 AM »
Solid state battery's are on the way, It will be 3 years or so, they have them working in the lab but will take a few years to make it to us.

They will cure many Ills, twice the range, simpler materials to manufacture, lighter weight.

I would only get the 14.4 battery   
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2021, 08:22:12 AM »
One day I may own an electric motorcycle, but for me that day isn't here yet.
As I've said before, once the range gets to 200 real world miles and under 30 mins for a 90% recharge, and at a reasonable price, then I'll consider it.

I have never been an early adopter, except for my C14 which I bought having never ridden one.
But I did ride C10s for 14 years and 200k miles before I bought my C14, and I did try it for size in the dealers  :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Cuda

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2021, 04:13:00 PM »
Yeah , you have to learn there speak, they sell a charge tank, $2300.00 dealer installed what it really is something that should come standard, It's a big plug, I mean a round receptacle that they use at EV charging stations, so yes you can top off In a hour or so, you should keep charging below 90% and above 15% for battery longevity, you can go lower and higher just a rule of thumb. 
So If you need to expand your Horizons you need one, but that's not why  I bought It, It will easily go up a small ramp I will build off my trailer hitch on my 35ft diesel pusher, the wife has not been on my ZG1400 in ten years so that's not a Issue, I just love the Idea of having a city 400 lb whip around toy, not looking to go on the interstate much, although It's said It will hold 80 but burn the battery in 115 miles wide open.
Town toy RV companion 8)

My ONLY Issue with the 14 is it's 700 lb can't beat it In so many way's but I'll use It, they say If you just twist the gas you'll be on your back checking the sky, 78 lb torque INSTANTLY ;) ;)  only 400 LB.
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Cuda

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2021, 04:29:54 PM »
I bought It today 8,999

free delivery, they hold there value well unlike gas bikes,  :'(

Shad makes a real nice bag set up, lots of goodies available.

Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2021, 04:40:56 PM »
Keep us posted how it goes, since it looks like an interesting buy.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2021, 06:33:45 PM »
The one I got Is $15,500 new still has the **** on the tires, 1850 miles for 9,000 to my door crazy, like ordering from Amazon.

Was out riding the 14 today, that gas take does get warm in our daily 90 degree weather.

Time for a cool change :)

https://youtu.be/mC5PBPpr7Js
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2021, 08:53:32 AM »
Sounds like a decent deal! I've always been interested in these, keep up posted on how it goes real world, maintainence, range, battery charging and costs.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Cuda

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2021, 05:52:51 PM »
Sure going to be weird with out gears to shift

That's part of the fun right, I enjoy hard down shifting with the pipes playing  a sweet tune...

Never replace the 14 but a blast around Town .

With in three years those solid state battery's will be the thing with twice the mileage lighter weight, faster charging

I'll trade up then, traction control becomes important with 120 foot lbs. of torque. ;D   
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Cuda

Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2021, 01:07:44 PM »
Found a cheaper option for quick charge...

To me, for an electric motorcycle, it wouldn't matter how long it takes to charge, only how long before it runs out of it.  Since it is recreational, my rides usually don't go anywhere meaningful, and certainly not any place I would want to sit and wait for it to charge.  I want to return home.  The exception would be to visit Mom, 100 miles away, and there would be no option at all to charge there (city condo).  So 1 hour vs. 2 hours vs. 5 hours vs. 10 hours, not a big whoop.

BTW- that is 1KW.  If the bike already has the standard 1.3KW charger (and 14KWh single battery) and the two chargers can be/are combined, that is still only 2.3KW.  That bike model has 12.6kWh of usable battery, so a full charge would still take ~ 6 hours (if you can find/use two cords from different circuits at your destination).  A "top up" might be more than twice as fast (2 to 3 hours).

But it is nice to have options, especially when your use case is different.  Another nice thing is that the Zero can be "augmented" with a power tank to take the highway range from 109 miles to 136 miles, or installation of a charger tank for integrated 3.6KWh charging.  Pricey, but available.