Author Topic: petcock leaked, float stuck, carbs are off.  (Read 3357 times)

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
petcock leaked, float stuck, carbs are off.
« on: June 21, 2011, 07:59:41 AM »
any instructions on how to put in overflow tubes ?
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline dbethel

Re: petcock leaked, float stuck, carbs are off.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
Send the carburetors to SISF

D.

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 10:10:45 AM »
I'm guessing you won't like this answer, but seriously, the best way to get proper press-fit overflow tubes is to send your bowls to SISF at Shoodaben Engineering (click this for info).  You don't have to send the carbs if all you want is overflow tubes - just the bowls.  Outbound they'll fit in a $5 flat-rate priority mail box and his price includes very quick turnaround, return shipping, and the job done right.

Lost threads include tales of those that tried various glue-in methods that failed over time.

George R. Young may have found a glue that actually lasts for this application?.  Maybe he'll follow-up with a long-term report on his tube install.
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline WillyP

• Suncook Carpentry
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:52:39 AM »
That page was last updated in 2008, and some have since reported epoxy did not cut it. Maybe some epoxys are better than others.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 01:38:16 PM »
The epoxy I used is still holding strong. I've read this may be better stuff but haven't tried it.
http://www.homehardware.ca/en/cat/index.htm/SEAL-ALL/_/N-1z141pf/Ne-ntc74
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline medicevans

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:51:37 PM »
Press fit is possible if you have a drill press and a little bit of skill. However, are you sure you can get them 100% correct the first time?  Becaue they have to be right, exactly right for press fit. Send them to Steve and know they're done right. Save the saving money for socks or something.

Offline yoman

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 05:04:04 PM »
I personally prefer quality socks.
2002 Semi-naked Connie

Offline throb

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 06:22:31 PM »
Send the carburetors to SISF

Straight up on this.  I live in not so sunny Wisconsin, but we do have the Packers!   8)  I send my float bowls to Steve USPS priority mail on a Monday and had them back either that same Thursday or Friday.  I don't recall which day exactly, it was posted pre-crash on the old forum, but in any event, I dare anyone to beat that as far as service!  Quality of workmanship is also second to none.  If you have to save up for the mod, do it.  $80 for this beats untold numbers for a rebuild or replacement.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline medicevans

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 10:29:32 PM »
I personally prefer quality socks.
Yeah, actually, I guess I do to, now that I think about it. When a person is in boots for 16+ hrs in a row then off and on during the night, quality socks are a must. Socks and wheat bread.  And toilet paper. Anyway..............Pick something else to skimp on.

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »
Yeah, nobody can fix anything, anymore... There are only a few craftsmen left in American.

I could do a press fit in high school.
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 11:03:06 AM »
Yeah, nobody can fix anything, anymore... There are only a few craftsmen left in American.

Wow Charlie, are you sure that's the tone you want to set when you're coming here asking for advise? Sure, press fits are easy - for you and me. Maybe not everyone else. Plus, now you know you need a press fit. Heck, now you know you need overflow tubes! Seems like you're ahead of the game already, I don't see the point of taking a depracating tone here. Steve

Offline medicevans

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 02:04:51 PM »

http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/floatDrainTubes.htm

Here you go then. Have at it. 

Also, There is a big difference between being able to press fit something and sending a job to someone that you know has done it hundreds of times and will get it exactly right the first time. I can press fit. But I'm not 100% sure I can getit right on the first try. If you can, good on you.