Author Topic: Melted fan blade  (Read 2922 times)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
Melted fan blade
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:48:56 AM »
I noticed my radiator fan must have parked itself a little too close to the header and the tip of one blade got gooey and stuck to the mount. I un-stuck it and it seems to spin ok without any vibration. I suppose I should relace it. Anyone else?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Melted fan blade
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:26:28 PM »
Someone(Muzzy?) makes a metal fan blade for it.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 01:56:21 PM »
Thanks for the input. It's ok at the moment but metal would be a better solution than replacing it with another plastic one.

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 11:03:01 AM »
2004 C10 RIP

Offline gtr1000

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 11:43:18 AM »
I noticed my radiator fan must have parked itself a little too close to the header and the tip of one blade got gooey and stuck to the mount. I un-stuck it and it seems to spin ok without any vibration. I suppose I should relace it. Anyone else?

Never noticed anyone else posting with this "problem" over the past few years.

I take it your fan does work and the blades haven't been sitting in one position in line with the exhaust header for a long, long time?
Paul OTP (near Windsor, GB).

06 C-10, 2009 to .....
A5 C-10, 2000 to 2009.

Offline John Mc

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »
Mine has one "cooked" on the end blade.  It happened within the first couple thousand miles.  It may be more common than thought.

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 07:42:43 AM »
Thanks for the link, Midnight. GTR, the fan was/is working properly. That's the first thing I checked after discovering the melted blade. It is possible that it's happening during extended warm-ups and also a lean condition that's making the header a little hot. Easy solution. New metal blade.

Offline Karl

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 09:28:35 AM »
Yep,  this happened to me, been several years back, dont recall exactly.       Its on a 95.            One day i noticed a very slight, REAL slight vibration while sitting at a long stop light.   HMMM,  fan vibrating.    Sure enough, all the blade tips were melted, and not a whole lot of air being expelled thru the vents.
I got a metal blade from Muzzy's.          Aggravating little job installing but its been working good ever since.  It is a bit louder, but air-flow seems to be a bit more than the o.e. blade.
"did you check them points?"

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 09:55:47 AM »
My '06 also had one blade with a small part of one blade melted. I found it shortly after I bought it in '06. Replaced it with a good one off e-bay. I have not looked to see if the new one is melted yet. Maybe I'll look some day.