Author Topic: Shinko 777 Help  (Read 6554 times)

Offline Curtiswesner

Shinko 777 Help
« on: August 12, 2011, 05:42:18 PM »
Ordered this low cost tire and before leaving the shop, I am told "We had to put about 3 ozs on it to balance. We tried turning it 180 and it was worse." I have not heard anyone having this problem yet. Should I try balancing it somewhere else before mounting? I am not sure about the quality of the shop I went to (HOK in OKC). With ordering it online the they say I would have to send it back and wait 6-8 weeks for a warranty return. I am a long way from home on buisness. What should I do?

Offline Jet86

• California
Re: Shinko 777 Help
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »
Well i had my 777 put on by the Kawasaki shop and it's got 4 or 5 of them little Square Weights on there, the last tire my avon roadrider i think only had one, anyway i think he said somthing about it throwing a fit not wanting to balence easy and i think i herd this before some where, however the tire now has 5k on it and still looks and rides good. i have no complaints..

1986 California Connie 87k and counting

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 07:37:30 PM »
I've had tires of various brands require little weight or lots of weight to balance them.  Even at least one of my Michelin Pilot GTs needed a lot.  My current Shinko Tourmaster front tire balanced EXACTLY with the weights (few) that were on from the Shinko 757 that I replaced.  (Well, as exactly as I ever get.)

If you've got something you can put the axle up on and let the tire spin, see how it is.  A couple of chairs work.  I use jack stands, but if you're away from home, you may not have those.  Put it up, give it a spin and see where it stops.  Then spin it again and see.  Even with 45k on my front wheel bearings, it takes a surprisingly long time to come to a stop.  I do this a few times and note where the valve stem is.  Also watch as it finishes spinning.  If there's a heavy spot, the wheel will often go back and forth a few times before coming to a complete stop.  If the valve stem stops in different places, you should be OK. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 10:41:17 PM »
I just installed a Shinko 777 on the rear of my Connie.  It took 10 1/4 oz weights to make it balance -- that's 2.5 oz.  I was surprised.  My Pilot GTs only took 3 or 4.
I don't want a pickle... I just wanna ride my motorsickle.

Offline m hanlen

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 07:32:34 AM »
Ordered this low cost tire and before leaving the shop, I am told "We had to put about 3 ozs on it to balance. We tried turning it 180 and it was worse." I have not heard anyone having this problem yet. Should I try balancing it somewhere else before mounting? I am not sure about the quality of the shop I went to (HOK in OKC). With ordering it online the they say I would have to send it back and wait 6-8 weeks for a warranty return. I am a long way from home on buisness. What should I do?
That's a lot of weight for a motorcycle tire but if it balances it and it's round, you'll be fine. It won't change the life or performance of the tire.

Offline Curtiswesner

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 08:30:58 PM »
Well rechecked the balance, and mounted, went on a 250 mile test drive :) and no problems at all. just gonna run em.

Offline soyjim

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 07:10:49 PM »
I am thinking that I will get a 777 or another shinko tire for replacing my rear tire when it needs it. Shinko makes inexpensive tires. I would like to get for my next rear tire, one in the gold wing size. I think that would reduce my rpm's slightly at highway speeds.

Motorcycle superstore is still selling the discontinued shinko 747 tire in the 160/80/16 size for about  $130. I called them today and asked about it. The customer service guy said apprently they had inspected the tires and they seemed ok. He also recommended against buying that tire cause he estimated the store had a 20  per cent failure rate with shinko tires. He said there best tires based on failure rates were from meztler. They had some small fraction of 1 % failing. He also said that shinko was still honoring the warranty on the 747 tire if they failed. He is of the opinion that Shinko has fewer inspections of tires during the production process. The Shinko se789 tire is supposed to be out soon.

I am glad I don't need tires right now. wish someone would report decent long lasting results with an available rear tire before I need one. right now the 777 tire in the traditional size is about the only inexpensive tire were getting reports on.  If I were buying a rear tire today the 777 tire is probably what I would get. I had a $60 radial dunlop 220 tire put on the front recently and the azaro rear tire I got with the used bike looks good. I really am only wearing down the middle of the tire.

It seems like the only rear tire anybody being happy with is avons and the azaro might be had for $130 and venoms for quite a bit more. Hope people keep reporting what they are using and how they are fareing.

At the present it looks like we have several sport touring radials available for the front. There are several bias cruiser rear tires available and that is probably what I will go with unless I decide I can use the whole azaro rear tire, which is not likely based on the way I ride.

I know in the forum before the crash there were a lot bad comments about mixing tires. What I am reading now seems to indicate that it is OK to mix tires and that most of the handling capbilities come from the tire that is on the front. What combinations are people using?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 07:26:54 PM »
I've got a set of Shinko SR733/SR734 Tourmaster tires on my Conc right now.  In Goldwing sizes.  They're fairly inexpensive, and I like them almost as much as I liked the Pilot GTs.

I had a 747 front.  Didn't have the catastrophic problems that others reported, but it did have some issues.  There were cracks appearing in the tread shortly after installing it.  And it wore funny - Center had plenty of meat left, but just left and right of center went down to the wear bars faster than I think it should have.  I was running it at 40psi, so I don't think pressure was an issue, but it might have been. 

I'm going to try the 777s next time I need tires. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 12:24:17 AM »
Those of you running a 777 rear... what are you running up front? 

I have a 777 rear -- looking at bikebandit, the front is out of stock...and has been for months.  I've not found another supplier who even carries the 777 in an 18" front.

Offline soyjim

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 01:23:25 PM »
I have not used a a shinko tire yet, and I don't have much experience with my c10. My  opinions on motorcycle tires are formed from reading others ideas.

I believe the shinko 777 rear tire can be somewhat related to avon venom tire on the c10. They both are a long lasting sporty bias cruiser tire that comes in the c10 size. The venom also comes in the goldwing size that can be used on the c10 though. I do not know if the 777 tire has a front tire that fits the front of the c10. I would think that any of the front tires that I have read about being matched with a rear venom should work. Those include roadsmart radial, BT numbered tires, avon storms and others. I have not read much on 777 use with the c10. It seems like it should be a good tire for the bike though.

This may be a totally false rumor, I have read that avon is working on a a storm 3 tire that they will make in the c10 rear tire size. Hopefully that won't be more expensive than the azaro rear and be a longer lasting tire.

voileauciel

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »
I ran one of those once. My tyre guy said the same thing about having to put quite a bit of weight on it.

It did, however, ride very nicely once installed. Then of course I went and put an Avon Storm on the front, which totally mucked up the handling. This does work really well with the stock Dunlop front.

Offline tvpierce

• '99 Concours
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 10:13:15 AM »
Oh... and just another observation about the Shinko 777 rear:  It seems to run tall.  Meaning it's listed as the stock size: 150/80-16... yet it appears to be about as tall as the Pilot GT -- which was a Wing-size: 160/80-16. 

I'm judging the height of it by the ease with which the bike can be lifted onto the center stand, and by RPM: 4900rpm @ 80mph. (same as with a new Pilot GT)

Just FYI.

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 11:18:15 AM »
Oh... and just another observation about the Shinko 777 rear:  It seems to run tall.  Meaning it's listed as the stock size: 150/80-16... yet it appears to be about as tall as the Pilot GT -- which was a Wing-size: 160/80-16. 

I'm judging the height of it by the ease with which the bike can be lifted onto the center stand, and by RPM: 4900rpm @ 80mph. (same as with a new Pilot GT)

Just FYI.

I noticed that also when I installed my 777. It will get replaced in 2 or 3 weeks when it crosses over 12,000 miles. It'll be close enough to the wear bars to call it done. I am using a BT-45 on front in the 110 size. this has been a solid combo for me, rain or shine.
2004 C10 RIP

Offline mlf73

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »
I'm on my second 777 on the rear of my 02 now.  I'm running a Dunlop Roadsmart up front.  Hard to beat the 777 for value....around $80 for a decent tire that gives me 13 to 14K miles!  I've got a new Roadsmart for the front waiting in the garage but the current one still looks too good to pull off and replace.  YMMV
02 Conc- Corbin seat, Cee Baileys shield, MCL fork brace, 4 pot calipers w/zrxmopar's adapters, 310mm rotors, SS brake lines, 1.1 Sonic springs, C14 rear shock, TCro's stick coils, SiSF's economy jet kit, front tip-over bars w/hwy pegs, KB bar risers, fender extender, block off plates, HVMP bar end weights, grip heaters, Murphs fuse block, 55W HID upgrade, relo'd coolant bottle & helmet locks

Offline soyjim

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 12:57:25 AM »
As I have stated I don't need a rear tire and in all likely hood I won't need one for a year. I have been thinking that the 777 tire would be a top candidate though when the time comes. I kind of worried though because before this thread I haven't read of too many c10 users discussing it. The kenda kruz rear tire falls into that same boat. I could go on a trip and that would speed my needs up. The BT-45 rear seems to be mentioned a lot recently. Also I can't figure out what to make of the shinko 747 tires still being available and the Newest replacement is supposed to be out soon. So it looks like there are some descent rear tire available for the c10. I probably won't get the 17 inch rear tire unless one falls into my lap.

The be prepared ethic in me led me to send an email to Avon. Below is there response. The new avon tire I mistakely referred to as a storm 3 would have been better if I had refered to it as an Azaro dual compound tire.

Dear Jim,

At present there are no plans for a sport touring tire to replace the Storm 2 Ultra as it only came out a year ago. The commitment our motorcycle product manager made is that whenever we do come out with a new sport touring tire we will definitely make it for the older Concours bikes in the 150/80R16 size.

Best regards,

Sukoshi Fahey (Ms.)

Maybe there will be another Avon Radial in the future. At least Avon Knows were out here.