Author Topic: Tire bead tore up  (Read 6138 times)

Offline Awaz

• Arena
Tire bead tore up
« on: June 29, 2013, 04:53:11 PM »
Did not think I was applying that much force....

2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline sherob

• Arena
Re: Tire bead tore up
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 06:48:56 PM »
There are a few tires that are just plain hard to put on... no matter how long I leave them in the sun to warm up, or how much goopy stuff I use.  I've had I few that I thought would turn out like that... that sucks!
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 06:55:25 PM »
This is why I pay someone else to do it...

Bullwinkle's hat gag
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 08:46:44 PM by VirginiaJim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 07:49:18 PM »
This is why I pay someone else to do it...
^^^^^^
   that

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 06:10:10 AM »
I call BS. There's steel cords that would have to break. The only way a bead is gonna separate is if you cut it.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »
I call BS. There's steel cords that would have to break. The only way a bead is gonna separate is if you cut it.

Not sure what you are referring to as BS. But why would I want to cut the bead on a tire that I just paid like $200 for? My motorcycle is now sitting on a lift with stuff laying all around for another week at least until I get a new tire. It honestly just ripped when I was trying to put that last bit of bead over the rim. I thought I broke the rim or something when I heard the pop. I called up Jake Wilson to see what they can do about this. They are suppose to get back to me on Monday - lets see if they give me a replacement tire. I honestly think something not right with that tire.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline rwulf

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 07:44:01 AM »
I think you are right, something is not right.
I've pulled cars out of a ditch with tires and not broken
the bead.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 08:51:27 AM »
Shinko?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 09:07:20 AM »
Shinko?

yeah...that's what I get for being a cheap b'tard.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 10:03:23 AM »
yeah...that's what I get for being a cheap b'tard.

Ha  :D
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 10:34:56 AM »
I had a Shinko that they stopped making and had a tire recall that got mine replace because the treads were separating. I never went back to Shinko. I now have an Azarro that replaced it.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »
Talked to Jake Wilson. According to them since it was a tear during mounting, warranty does not really cover it, but they were going to take care of it for me this time. I went ahead and had it replaced with a Dunlop Elite 3. Do not think it is a great tire either (not like Avon or Metzeler), but will have to do. I do not ride that thing much anyway - just needed something for the occasional putting around town. Although, I am running shinkos on my Kawi and so far they are holding up good. But next tire change, I am going with a better know brand.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 11:51:59 AM »
The Elite 3....wagon wheels at their best. 
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2013, 12:42:28 PM »
Talked to Jake Wilson. According to them since it was a tear during mounting, warranty does not really cover it, but they were going to take care of it for me this time. I went ahead and had it replaced with a Dunlop Elite 3. Do not think it is a great tire either (not like Avon or Metzeler), but will have to do. I do not ride that thing much anyway - just needed something for the occasional putting around town. Although, I am running shinkos on my Kawi and so far they are holding up good. But next tire change, I am going with a better know brand.

Go with the Angels or the PR2's or the PR3's, that is the wise choice. Pay the price or buy it twice, heck maybe even 3 times.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 12:44:57 PM »
Just a note, Shinko bought out and took over Yokohama for motorcycle tires.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »

You ever change a tire bfore?

Just had to ask....cause you certainly didnnt have the opposite side sittin in the groove, and wayyyyyyyy manhandled the bead with a 24"bar.., or more... pop. Man 8-12" irons will work, more than that and c'ya bead....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 06:29:42 AM »
You ever change a tire bfore?

Just had to ask....cause you certainly didnnt have the opposite side sittin in the groove, and wayyyyyyyy manhandled the bead with a 24"bar.., or more... pop. Man 8-12" irons will work, more than that and c'ya bead....

I won't claim to be an aged veteran, but I have done 4 tire changes so far - two on my KZ250 and two on my C14. Not sure what you mean by 'did not have opposite side sitting in grove'. I did have the other side underneath the rim (where it should go) and had it pressed down with my knee while I was working on the other side. And I was not trying to work a big chunk at a time either - just a small bite at a time to get the bead over. When it snapped, I did pull a bit of the bead of the side I was working on to make sure I did not break or bend the rim - the sound scared me. About the bars, I will have to check - I am afraid they may be 24" spoons - smallest I can find in my local hardware store.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
I won't claim to be an aged veteran, but I have done 4 tire changes so far - two on my KZ250 and two on my C14. Not sure what you mean by 'did not have opposite side sitting in grove'. I did have the other side underneath the rim (where it should go) and had it pressed down with my knee while I was working on the other side.
The side of the tire opposite where you are levering should be pushed down into the center of the rim, not just under the rim where the bead sits once the tire is mounted and the bead seated.  If you look at the rim's cross-section, you'll notice it kind of looks like this:  └╖_╓┘  You need to make sure that the bead on the opposite side is down in that center section when you're levering.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 05:26:32 PM »
Sorry to doubt you. I've had to get very mean to beads before, and never had one snap. I've also seen people try and saw/cut through them, and it ain't easy. ;)
I've never allowed another person to work on my bike. Never will. I sweat and bust arse to mount my tires. I've torn the rubber away from the bead, but never had one not seal or work. Once again, sorry to call BS. I just can't imagine it.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »
Finally got my replacement tire - Dunlop elite 3. It went in with lot less effort. I did make sure this time that the bead on the opposite side is pushed down far enough.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14