Author Topic: How many miles per day?  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Scaffolder

Re: How many miles per day?
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 06:58:39 AM »
On the 2008 I had, I was commuting 260 miles per day. I also worked all day. I figure a 1000 miles should be had with ease. I just have never been able to get on the bike just to ride. I use it for commuting. I worked 4 states away for the last 8 weeks and dared to bring it 2 weeks. In New England it was a huge gamble, but it payed off. It is 225 miles each way. Then the ride to work and back from the hotel.
Joel from Maine.

Offline IDZG14

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 10:16:55 PM »
I always seem to have my longest day on the last day.....   Usually that is due to poor planning on my part.   I also seem to have some 'gethomeitis' by that time too....
;D  LOL, so true!   I am planning on a 2,200 mile round trip, six day (four days riding) ride in July.  I have a feeling I will be looking for all the concrete slabs I can find by the end of my trip.
2010 Concours 14, 2008 HD Softail Custom

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 10:53:07 PM »
Like others have said, if I have to get somewhere I'll bang out a couple of long days on either end. But my max has been ~900 miles in one day. Many of my rides have no particular destination and on those days can be as little as 200 miles. It's more about the journey then getting there.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »
Response to
//
If you believe those Touring books and articles, your first days ride should be the longest. It will usually be the day that is met with the most anticipation and energy. As the ride progresses, your miles should drop by anywhere from 15 to 25% per day, to a simple minimum. Stay on that minimum for the rest of the ride.
Judging by some of the responses here, that theory is out the window.
//

The theory is sound, for IBA-type BIG mileage rides.  The assumption is that you are trying to make maximum miles in minimum days.  If the plan is for 200-300 mile days, then you are completely outside of the parameters of the theory.  The theory addresses the question of maximum safe. alert mileage per day, on consecutive hard days, from a standpoint of physiology rather than personal preference. 

More theory:  First day you are freshest, so you can go the longest.  After that, fatigue sort of accumulates, and you are progressively less rested each day for 4-5-6 days, then you bottom out around 70% of your maximum day and stay there until you get some heavy rest days.  Assumes IBA levels of saddle time, like 16-20 hours daily.  Anybody with a few 1000+ mile days under their tank will be able to confirm that.

The first 1000+ mile day is the easiest.  So is the first 700+mile day.  Or even the first 250+ mile day.  The last day is typically the most dangerous, since we are usually pushing to get home.

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!