Author Topic: Need help with installing a relay for grip heaters.  (Read 2356 times)

Offline sq61708

• Arena
Need help with installing a relay for grip heaters.
« on: September 22, 2011, 05:23:21 AM »
Hello everyone
I am installing grip heaters on my 91 Connie with a relay and I need a bit of help with the wiring.
I pretty much figured out most it but I want to know wich of the 2 wires going to my license plate light I should tap into to get power to control the relay ( I think it's called a hot lead or something like that).
I'm at work right now so I'm going on what I remember but I think there is a brown/yellow wire and a red one.

Anyone knows if it makes a difference or not.
Thanks

Offline DarkKnight

Re: Need help with installing a relay for grip heaters.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 01:39:45 PM »
Brown/ yellow is ground and red is 12 volt or +

Offline sq61708

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 04:07:13 AM »
Thanks for the help DarkKnight. I hopeless at reading wiring diagrams. Got everything plugged in last night and it works perfectly.

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 07:19:21 AM »
I have never bolted on any extras on the Concours that were electric. Does the Concours have spare wires to wire electric extras, or must you use a relay? The grip heaters could make for warmer rides. I need to look into this more.
2005 Concours

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 08:05:48 AM »
Connie has 2 sets of accessory leads, but both are always "hot" without the key being on. I would hesitate to use those without a relay for fear of forgetting to turn the grip heaters off (or someone turning them on while you were away from the bike) and draining your battery. One of the sets of leads is under the seat, the other is under the fairing in front of the left pocket. I used these leads for my grip heaters, but ran them through a relay triggered by the marker light circuit so they would only be on with the key in the on position. Let me know if you want more details. Eventually, I installed an accessory fuse panel, also only hot when the key is on, and wired my accessories to that.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:40:42 AM »
I used these leads for my grip heaters, but ran them through a relay triggered by the marker light circuit so they would only be on with the key in the on position.

This is exactly how I did mine.  Easy to do too.  You just need to figure out where you want your switch.  I put a 1/2" hole in the inner right fairing panel (black plastic) just above the glove door (leave room for the door to open) to mount the hi/lo switch.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 11:57:08 AM »
I have never bolted on any extras on the Concours that were electric. Does the Concours have spare wires to wire electric extras, or must you use a relay? The grip heaters could make for warmer rides. I need to look into this more.

You also have to be concerned with overloading any particular circuit if you run the lights off an existing used circuit. You can use the the existing circuits to trip the relay, since that does not use much power, which runs the power for the lights either off the battery or a added on accessory circuit like the ones from Murphs.