Author Topic: Serious post on MC hand signals for those new to riding bikes..  (Read 3219 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Serious post on MC hand signals for those new to riding bikes..
« on: September 01, 2014, 06:04:49 PM »
Everyone who rides needs to pay attention to these hand signals....stolen freely from O.C. at the UK site.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Strawboss

Re: Serious post on MC hand signals for those new to riding bikes..
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 06:27:40 PM »
Good things to remember on the road. I'm not sure what a rakia shop is though.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 06:32:01 PM »
Must be something that hasn't made it out here to the colonies.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 06:51:45 PM »
Fruit brandy popular in the Balkins.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 06:54:21 PM »
My group just makes phallic objects to communicate? Just kidding the bluetooth communications are amazing.
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 12:07:24 PM »
I'm not sure how serious the first post was, but this post is a serious question in keeping with the topic. :)

Seems a lot of road rage and or just bad feelings could be nipped in the bud by a simple acknowledgement of "Yeah, I fucked up. Sorry."
Is there a hand signal for that?

I do screw up occasionally, especially when I'm hot and tired but I still think I can continue on. Of course once I screw up I take a rest stop and get a gatorade or two
and give thanks that it was a survivable screw up. Most recent one was, I missed a sign that said (I assume it was there, I never saw it) two lanes were merging into one
and I was trying to pass a small 6 wheel FedEx truck on the left and he came over and squeezed me off (easy boys n girls!). It was OK as he was still ahead of me and I quickly realized my mistake and I gave him the "D'OH" sign where I tap my helmet at the 10 o'clock position with a closed fist 3 times.

Is there a better or more acceptable hand signal that I should have used to acknowledge my screw up? I suppose an open palm to the forehead could be used but I thought it would more likely
be misconstrued as "OH good grief, You're a terrible driver." I use the Homer Simpson head fist slap to the forehead because I think anyone younger than me on the road (95% maybe) would know what it means. Maybe I should be just reaching around and slapping myself on the back of my head for clarity, although that doesn't seem as safe or visible enough.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 12:58:46 PM »
I'm not sure how serious the first post was, but this post is a serious question in keeping with the topic. :)

Seems a lot of road rage and or just bad feelings could be nipped in the bud by a simple acknowledgement of "Yeah, I fucked up. Sorry."
Is there a hand signal for that?

Yes, there is for me, although I am not sure there is a universal one.  I usually stick out my arm, half raised, with my fingers spread.  It just seems instinctive to me.  Similar to the "thanks" signal.

I quickly realized my mistake and I gave him the "D'OH" sign where I tap my helmet at the 10 o'clock position with a closed fist 3 times.

I am not sure that would be interpreted by me to be a mistake acknowledgement or a complaint that someone else was hard-headed.  I do wish there were something more specific to use.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 08:01:37 AM »
I've used the "Dance like an Egyptian" sign but to signal "WTF was that?"