Author Topic: PSA - Biker down  (Read 9463 times)

Offline twowheeladdict

Re: PSA - Biker down
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 03:04:53 PM »

Well of course that is true, but a bit like showing up for a gunfight with a knife. Like I mentioned before, you are not the typical cruiser owner/rider due to the fact that you can and do ride and own other types of bikes. You already have skill on other better handling bikes, which allows you to really work the big ole cruisers easier than others which do not. Too many cruiser guys and gals are myopic, and that does them no favors when the roads begin to twist. Subpar braking and suspension on heavy ass bikes doesn't sound like fun to me, however they are quite comfy when lumbering along.

Funny thing is that the two times I got caught speeding, I was on my Voyager.  26 over the speed limit on a mountain pass. Oops.  Went to defensive driving school to keep the points off.

What I tell my friends who ride sport bikes exclusively is that I can have a blast 20 over the speed limit on my cruiser where they have to double the speed limit to experience the same rush of adrenaline and extreme concentration.

I do agree though that there are those who ride bikes no better than the distracted cagers out there.  They let themselves get into dangerous situations which increases their risk.  Around here helmets, boots and eye protection are required.  I see more FF helmeted cruiser riders here than the average I'm sure. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 05:02:25 PM »
Crash Test Dummies.... :popcorn:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 05:23:31 PM »

Offline pistole

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2013, 09:36:48 PM »
- will comment since i have both styles of bikes (a FLSTC and the C14).

- the C14 is simply (far and away) a better handling and safer bike , at any speed , compared to the Harley. The combination of good ABS'ed brakes and traction control, decent suspension and good rubber all conspire to assist the rider to make that corner or change that line , or do that velocity or bring the speed down safely/quickly.

- the FLSTC , on the other hand , will conspire to send you into the weeds if you even try to do the same speeds or lines which you wouldn't even notice as being out of the ordinary on the C14.

- braking is poor , handling is poor , heaven forbid if you hit some mid-corner undulations with the Hd , you'd thing that there was an extra sprung swingarm in the middle of the bike. The front end does its thing, the rear does it own thing , you just hang the hell on.

- i also cannot understand the comment earlier that cruiser riders are "more skilled". I bought the FLSTC first (had her for 5 years) and then bought the C14. I learned more on the C14 in 6 months about how to ride properly than the entire 5 years I had on the FLSTC.

- the difference in handling/performance and skill levels required on both bikes are so far apart that I would question anyone who even thinks that a rider on a cruiser is necessarily more "skilled". Maybe more skilled in grinding floorboards and praying hard as the bike inches past the trailer in an overtake ... perhaps, but surely not a more complete rider.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2013, 11:28:33 AM »
yeah but those pirate types are always in control and FAST 

Actually "flying the chair" is a skill that any sidecar operator needs to master in order to stay in control.... That and my grand kids absolutely loved it!
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2013, 12:21:15 PM »
T Cro,

I actually would like to have a sidecar bike, I'm jealous if you ride one.  But perhaps a URAL brand, or Triumph, BMW, even a Royal Enfield.  But NOT a Harley for me.

The Isle of Man side car racing is awesome!

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2013, 12:38:31 PM »
... I actually would like to have a sidecar bike, I'm jealous if you ride one.  But perhaps a URAL brand, or Triumph, BMW, even a Royal Enfield.  But NOT a Harley for me.

Got rid of this last year; bought it back in 03ish... Really liked it but it just collected more dust than miles. I'll get something else to take it's odd place soon but it just might be an HD....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 07:08:40 AM »
- will comment since i have both styles of bikes (a FLSTC and the C14).

- i also cannot understand the comment earlier that cruiser riders are "more skilled". I bought the FLSTC first (had her for 5 years) and then bought the C14. I learned more on the C14 in 6 months about how to ride properly than the entire 5 years I had on the FLSTC.

- the difference in handling/performance and skill levels required on both bikes are so far apart that I would question anyone who even thinks that a rider on a cruiser is necessarily more "skilled". Maybe more skilled in grinding floorboards and praying hard as the bike inches past the trailer in an overtake ... perhaps, but surely not a more complete rider.

I never said a cruiser rider is more skilled. 

I said:
The other factor is that it takes more skill to ride a cruiser than most other style of bikes.

I guess I should have followed up with safely, or at the same pace.  You yourself demonstrated that it takes more skill to ride a cruiser than the C14.

I guess that is why people typically see cruiser riders going slower than they would expect them to go.  Because they lack the skill to up the pace.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »
Don't know why people feel they have to look down on cruisers .I ride both, and of course a cruiser won't do what sport tourer will do, but it's still a blast !  For me ,ANYTHING on two wheel is a good time !
  At rallies , I'll shoot the breeze with anybody that has a head on their shoulders ,and is a bike nut like me. You meet some great folks if you don't pre-judge them by what they ride in on.
  And I've seen as many doofuses on sportbikes as on cruisers . Takes all kinds . ;)
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 06:05:49 PM »
Don't know why people feel they have to look down on cruisers .I ride both, and of course a cruiser won't do what sport tourer will do, but it's still a blast !  For me ,ANYTHING on two wheel is a good time !
  At rallies , I'll shoot the breeze with anybody that has a head on their shoulders ,and is a bike nut like me. You meet some great folks if you don't pre-judge them by what they ride in on.
  And I've seen as many doofuses on sportbikes as on cruisers . Takes all kinds . ;)

They all bring something different to the table. I feel bad for folks that are stuck on one kind, style, power, etc.  They are missing out on other twowheel experiences.
My Concours Travels: