Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 887987 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #2400 on: August 25, 2016, 09:43:41 AM »
I now have 3 fobs, 2 battery style and 1 non battery style. I know the non battery style works, I've used it several time while working on my bike. Didn't know about the passive and active, but will be checking first thing in the morning. Thanks for the info. Still sucks I got to break down the tires to get the codes off the TPMS sensors. You would think that they could have pulled all that info out of the old Kipass ECU.

3 fobs? I see that you got 2 with the order of the new ECU, where did the 3rd come from?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline robval1987

« Reply #2401 on: August 25, 2016, 07:00:40 PM »
Only one comes with the new Kipass ECU, I was told by the dealer initially that all I needed was the two fobs 1, main and 1, emergency. Then I was told after I had already ordered them and payed overnight shipping fees that they could not just reprogram the new key fobs without at least one original fob and that I had to order the new Kipass ECU and that it would come with a new fob. So I decided after this big f-up that I would keep the first two that I ordered as backups. I keep one on my belt loop on a d-ring into my pocket. I took the emergency fob and bought a hide a key box (snapped off the magnet and installed it in a hidden spot, I did seal it up in plastic first), and then I keep one fob at the house (just in case). I did have key blanks for all fobs and had a locksmith cut them (verified they all worked as well. I was told that the main keyfobs are (active and passive), active being the battery is god and the bike talks to the fob, then passive if the battery was too weak to transmit or even dead then you could hold it up to the front of the ignition and it would allow you to start the bike. I tried mine by taking the battery out as instructed, but got nothing on either main keyfobs. Talked with the service department and he stated that why you have a emergency keyfob, so I'm a little confused there. Any help would be appreciated. If you could provide any kawasaki instruction that I can show this service guy would be great. Hell I had to pull my wheels off to get the TPMS sensor info to give to the dealer so that it could read the tire pressure, he hook my bike up to the computer typed in the 2 codes for the front and rear tires in less then 10 minutes and charged me 85$ for that, yesterday  85$ for programing the keyfobs. Then he tells me if I can prove to him about the active and passive status of the main keyfob that I'll be charged another 85$ to fix that. I'm gonna contact Kawasaki Customer Care about these 85$ charges when he as service manager should be able to tell me what needs to be done and I get everything together and he does it all at once not all these seperate charges.
Retired U.S. Army, Retired Law Enforcement Officer
"Don't ride faster then your Guardian Angel can fly."

Offline tomp

« Reply #2402 on: August 25, 2016, 07:45:19 PM »
Sounds like his CP hourly rate is $85, with a one hour minimum. He's paying the tech $15-20 for the book hour, and the dealership is pocketing the rest, less expenses to run the dealership.  They may do three or more One Hour billings in a one hour period, and that's how the tech and dealership make real money doing service.  LIke it or not, that is the norm for auto and motorcycle/powersports repair costs.  Changing the rules, and adding on extra billings, which it seems like this one is doing, isn't good business, but mother Kawi won't come to your rescue, as the dealers are their lifelines. 

Yep, I've been involved with service for auto and motorcycles, and because of what you described, I will never be involved in either, again.  If I can't be honest with customers, I will NOT work for whoever, dealing with whatever.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2403 on: August 26, 2016, 03:30:40 AM »
Make sure you have all the fobs present when programming.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2404 on: August 26, 2016, 05:15:00 AM »
Only one comes with the new Kipass ECU, I was told by the dealer initially that all I needed was the two fobs 1, main and 1, emergency. Then I was told after I had already ordered them and payed overnight shipping fees that they could not just reprogram the new key fobs without at least one original fob and that I had to order the new Kipass ECU and that it would come with a new fob. So I decided after this big f-up that I would keep the first two that I ordered as backups. I keep one on my belt loop on a d-ring into my pocket. I took the emergency fob and bought a hide a key box (snapped off the magnet and installed it in a hidden spot, I did seal it up in plastic first), and then I keep one fob at the house (just in case). I did have key blanks for all fobs and had a locksmith cut them (verified they all worked as well. I was told that the main keyfobs are (active and passive), active being the battery is god and the bike talks to the fob, then passive if the battery was too weak to transmit or even dead then you could hold it up to the front of the ignition and it would allow you to start the bike. I tried mine by taking the battery out as instructed, but got nothing on either main keyfobs. Talked with the service department and he stated that why you have a emergency keyfob, so I'm a little confused there. Any help would be appreciated. If you could provide any kawasaki instruction that I can show this service guy would be great. Hell I had to pull my wheels off to get the TPMS sensor info to give to the dealer so that it could read the tire pressure, he hook my bike up to the computer typed in the 2 codes for the front and rear tires in less then 10 minutes and charged me 85$ for that, yesterday  85$ for programing the keyfobs. Then he tells me if I can prove to him about the active and passive status of the main keyfob that I'll be charged another 85$ to fix that. I'm gonna contact Kawasaki Customer Care about these 85$ charges when he as service manager should be able to tell me what needs to be done and I get everything together and he does it all at once not all these seperate charges.

Have you been reading any of my posts? See #2397. I gave you the instructions that you needed plus I mentioned to two programming modes.

Jirod reposted the link to those instructions too.   

See page 3. Print out the whole thing and show your Kawi tech, he'll learn something.
http://www.zggtr.org/MGalleryItem.php?id=455
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #2405 on: August 27, 2016, 12:43:28 PM »
Full Muzzy's exhaust and Guhl flash.....

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #2406 on: August 27, 2016, 12:51:30 PM »
Then he tells me if I can prove to him about the active and passive status of the main keyfob that I'll be charged another 85$ to fix that.

This is clearly dealer service ineptitude, it's in the 2010 owner's manual (available online if needed Page 82). I'm never sure how boldly to complain to the dealer when they have you by the short hairs, but after the fact Mama Kaw should hear about this in a loud manner.

OH, and after you do all this you'll find the original FOB that you lost, so be sure to keep your old ECU in case the FOB shows up and maybe you'll be able to recoup some of your losses on eBay.

Offline tmswa11

« Reply #2407 on: August 30, 2016, 02:40:10 AM »
Today I finished adjusting my valves and took her up and down the street. She feels like brand new!

Offline tomp

« Reply #2408 on: August 30, 2016, 06:17:08 PM »
Off tomorrow, and hoping to finally get to ride the thing again.  Not suppose to rain, but probably will anyway.  tp

Offline tomp

« Reply #2409 on: September 01, 2016, 06:49:57 PM »
OK, was off today.  After watching Nicole's videos of her Hwy 93 and Beartooth Pass rides on youtube, I was inspired to ride too.  Granted, nothing around here comes anywhere close to her rides, but the C14 performed perfectly.  Love the hard acceleration in the lower gears, as it really leaves the car traffic behind. 

Through it all, still averaged 48.1 MPG.  Basically the same as my Ninja 650R twin's mileage.  So much easier to ride comfortably than the Ninja too.  A great weekend to all, and enjoy riding, as I will be working, with no time for riding.  tomp

sailor_chic

« Reply #2410 on: September 05, 2016, 06:08:32 AM »
Tom  I'm glad that you enjoyed my videos. It's fantastic riding out west. I need to move!

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2411 on: September 05, 2016, 10:09:14 AM »
What is the handle on youtube? or a link. Thanks
Wayne
PS Friends just went through the pass yesterday. Snow, rain, wind and cold. Most of Montana is getting hit hard with rain right now. Glad it was dry for the most part when we were through there in mid August.

OK, was off today.  After watching Nicole's videos of her Hwy 93 and Beartooth Pass rides on youtube, I was inspired to ride too.  Granted, nothing around here comes anywhere close to her rides, but the C14 performed perfectly.  Love the hard acceleration in the lower gears, as it really leaves the car traffic behind. 

Through it all, still averaged 48.1 MPG.  Basically the same as my Ninja 650R twin's mileage.  So much easier to ride comfortably than the Ninja too.  A great weekend to all, and enjoy riding, as I will be working, with no time for riding.  tomp
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline tomp

« Reply #2412 on: September 05, 2016, 10:23:29 AM »
What is the handle on youtube? or a link. Thanks
Wayne
PS Friends just went through the pass yesterday. Snow, rain, wind and cold. Most of Montana is getting hit hard with rain right now. Glad it was dry for the most part when we were through there in mid August.
Here's a few of hers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fgo-lpWjmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSbA7nXEwDU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIDnyuEpt2Y

Offline robval1987

« Reply #2413 on: September 05, 2016, 02:27:55 PM »
Well sense I purchased my Connie used (2nd owner with 10,233 on odometer) and I was told by the dealer that they did the service that was due, I decided to look and see what they did and didn't do. As I looked at the oil and filter I began to realize that the service couldn't have been that great as they didn't look like they changed either. So I headed out to get some supplies as the K & N air and oil filters came in the day before. So I picked up some Mobil 1 10W40 synthetic oil and  75W90 gear oil for the diff. I also went with the Zerex Asian Fromula  (pink color) and 3 gallons of distilled water. I also picked up some Dot 4 Brake Fluid (had to order pads store didn't have any went with EBC brake pads front and rear). Removed lower and middle skins, glove box and 3 top black plastics, & windshield. Oil and filter pretty straight forward as well as the diff. I drained the antifreeze into a milk jug then to the garden hose and flushed out any left over antifreeze. Then I put the plug in and filled with just distilled water and ran the bike 3 seperate times till I was good and sure their was no antifreeze or regular tap water left in the cooling system, I also flushed the return lines and the  overflow lines so no contaminates remained in them or the overflow tank .Then added in the Zerex as instructed per repair manual. Let run and topped of the overflow tank till it was just below the full mark. Even after running an hour no color change (stayed pink). Then I flushed out all the old fluid in the front and rear brake reservoirs and the clutch. I began by taking a syringe and suck out almost all of the fluid, topped off and began the long process of pump and opening bleed valves till I got clean fluid coming out at the bleeder's (get a large bottle you'll need it). Lot of work , but we'll worth the hassel, plus I got to get to know this bike and during the process I removed all the blue Led lights the previous owner installed and replaced them with a bed Led strips and cleaned up all the wiring he had done, I like to daisy chain my lights and not run 10 different wires. Plus I added in a switch on the dash opposite side of the 12 volt socket. Now I'm gonna go ride...
Retired U.S. Army, Retired Law Enforcement Officer
"Don't ride faster then your Guardian Angel can fly."

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2414 on: September 05, 2016, 08:33:32 PM »
Went to RIC and back.  Got the infamous "FI" error for a few seconds on the way back.  I think it has been years since I had one.  Beautiful weather, just like yesterday (huge contrast to Fri/Sat)  64-74F.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

sailor_chic

« Reply #2415 on: September 11, 2016, 06:02:04 AM »

Offline tomp

« Reply #2416 on: September 11, 2016, 11:54:46 AM »
Thanks for posting the link Tom. I was offshore and didn't have Internet service
You are welcome.  Enjoy your time off.   tomp

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #2417 on: September 11, 2016, 03:09:25 PM »
Replaced the clutch slave cylinder spring and seal. Had been putting it off but it was getting pretty bad in the morning.

sailor_chic

« Reply #2418 on: September 11, 2016, 04:22:45 PM »
You are welcome.  Enjoy your time off.   tomp

Not yet. 5 more days until I'm paroled

Offline tomp

« Reply #2419 on: September 11, 2016, 04:30:36 PM »
 :(  :(  :( 

At least you know when you are going to be off and for how long.  This semi retired retail work has my hours and days change every week.  Never the same.  I believe they do it on purpose, just to screw with us underlings... ;D