Author Topic: What did you do to your Concours today?  (Read 887758 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: What did you do to your Concours today?
« Reply #1540 on: September 29, 2015, 12:06:49 PM »
I can't wait until my next tire change. Those things are outta here and replaced with plain ol' valve stems. Goodbye flashing panic cluster.
I'm a grown man. I can tell when my tire is low, and can verify with my gauge.

Kinda hard to do though when you're movin on down the road.  ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #1541 on: September 29, 2015, 12:55:04 PM »
I'm that guy, remember?

No warning at all. So don't count on it.
My 2012 ZX14R doesn't have it. If it was so important, all bikes would have it.
Since mine are serviceable, I'll sell them here when I remove them.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1542 on: September 29, 2015, 01:13:13 PM »
Well, there is a sort of cloud hanging over your head.....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1543 on: September 29, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »
Why oh why didn't they make these with a simple battery replacement. I would replace the battery every time I put on a new tire.

Because they can't make money that way...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1544 on: September 29, 2015, 03:14:08 PM »
If you are concerned about the warning screens, change the batteries when you change the tires.  It's not that big of a deal.  I've done both of mine.

Unless they are the newer version or have been replaced under warranty with the newer versions that are potted and can't be opened, like mine.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1545 on: September 29, 2015, 04:10:57 PM »
Correct.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1546 on: September 29, 2015, 04:57:05 PM »
The really short version is that you are right- the batteries in the potted versions are not [readily, easily, reliably] replaceable. That said, potted devices can and are dissected every single day to do something just such as this- to put a new battery in a $300 (or so) sensor.

I have been dying to get my grubby little paws on a potted version of Kawasaki's new sensors for just this reason. The key to the whole thing is that at least one, and maybe two or three, almost certainly have to be destroyed to find the path to get to the battery without destroying the sensor. It would not be practical to do that with Kawasaki sensors as they are so expensive but there are other ways to glean the needed information....

And of course, the other method is to 'short- sheet' the entire Kawasaki sensor and use something from GM or Ford or similar. That will not be straightforward but it can be done....

Brian

Unless they are the newer version or have been replaced under warranty with the newer versions that are potted and can't be opened, like mine.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1547 on: September 29, 2015, 06:00:37 PM »
And of course, the other method is to 'short- sheet' the entire Kawasaki sensor and use something from GM or Ford or similar. That will not be straightforward but it can be done....

If I ever replaced it with anything non-Kawasaki (and it would require using the Kawasaki dash, which I guess is unlikely), I would want something that had the battery on the OUTSIDE of the wheel (near the stem) so it could just be easily replaced whenever.  OR perhaps a sealed li-ion battery on the inside with contacts that allow charging through the valve stem.  Even a tiny Li-Ion battery could last over a year on a single, 15min charge or something like that.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1548 on: September 29, 2015, 06:04:47 PM »
The really short version is that you are right- the batteries in the potted versions are not [readily, easily, reliably] replaceable. That said, potted devices can and are dissected every single day to do something just such as this- to put a new battery in a $300 (or so) sensor.

I have been dying to get my grubby little paws on a potted version of Kawasaki's new sensors for just this reason. The key to the whole thing is that at least one, and maybe two or three, almost certainly have to be destroyed to find the path to get to the battery without destroying the sensor. It would not be practical to do that with Kawasaki sensors as they are so expensive but there are other ways to glean the needed information....

Brian

Why did they put the potted plant in jail?  It was potted...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1549 on: September 30, 2015, 04:37:17 AM »
Why did they put the potted plant in jail?  It was potted...

:o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

sailor_chic

« Reply #1550 on: September 30, 2015, 07:09:44 PM »
Didn't you have a Laam?
Why the switch?

When Seth made my seat, he cut it down to accommodate my short inseam. This resulted in a lot  of foam being removed. So I have put plenty of seat time on it now and in a short period and the foam compresses to easily. He warned me of this.
So I basically was sitting on the pan after long hrs in the saddle.
No fault of Seth Laam, it was my persistence that caused the flaws.

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #1551 on: September 30, 2015, 08:50:23 PM »
Thanx SC. I was just curious because I had a Laam on my 08 and have ordered another for my 14. I am 6'4' so shouldn't be an issue.
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline Beary

« Reply #1552 on: October 01, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »
OK, I fixed my glove compartment so I can open it with the key off and installed Advance riser adapters.

I know, I know, easy. But I'm a new owner and i'm starting slow.

Next on the list is adusting slack out of the throttle cable. Jumping from 1100 rpms to 2000 rpms makes shifting a bit sporty right now.  ;)

Advice is welcome.

Beary

Offline seagiant

« Reply #1553 on: October 03, 2015, 07:43:36 PM »
Hi,
       Thought I would throw up some pics of install on my Ohlin's parts!

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #1554 on: October 03, 2015, 08:47:39 PM »
Hi,
       Thought I would throw up some pics of install on my Ohlin's parts!

Looks great.  8)
How's the ride now?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #1555 on: October 03, 2015, 10:25:05 PM »
Thought I would throw up

Nothing like a good purge :)

Offline seagiant

« Reply #1556 on: October 04, 2015, 04:43:08 AM »
Hi,
       The ride is more "supple" now.

Before I had to dial up the rear shock so much it made the ride harsh and stiff!

That is the best way I can describe it.

I bought these off of e-bay and they came off of a 2012 C14 from a guy in the COG.

I called the tech at Ohlins and told them the spring # on the rear shock and he said for my weight it would work and if I thought I wanted to go up a number I could do it when I did the rebuild later.

Admittedly it was a lucky thing the PO had a heavier spring installed than normal!!!

Because of my weight!

Be advised, if you buy a set of Ohlin's ZX-14 forks for your C14 (that came off of a ZX-14) you will probably have to change springs as the C14 is heavier than the ZX-14!

This is my understanding!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1557 on: October 04, 2015, 06:14:06 AM »
Hi,
       The ride is more "supple" now.

Before I had to dial up the rear shock so much it made the ride harsh and stiff!

That is the best way I can describe it.

I bought these off of e-bay and they came off of a 2012 C14 from a guy in the COG.

I called the tech at Ohlins and told them the spring # on the rear shock and he said for my weight it would work and if I thought I wanted to go up a number I could do it when I did the rebuild later.

Admittedly it was a lucky thing the PO had a heavier spring installed than normal!!!

Because of my weight!

Be advised, if you buy a set of Ohlin's ZX-14 forks for your C14 (that came off of a ZX-14) you will probably have to change springs as the C14 is heavier than the ZX-14!

This is my understanding!

I like your postings over on the COG site better for some reason...    ;)

Offline seagiant

« Reply #1558 on: October 04, 2015, 07:48:43 AM »
I like your postings over on the COG site better for some reason...    ;)

Hi,
        Yea.....But they need all the help they can get over there!!! :o

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1559 on: October 04, 2015, 07:55:47 AM »
Hi,
        Yea.....But they need all the help they can get over there!!! :o

We may not need that kinda help over here but we* sure do like it!

* most of us that is...