Author Topic: What's your second choice to rotella?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
What's your second choice to rotella?
« on: May 12, 2022, 12:10:13 PM »
I, like many of you all, have run T6 in my connie for years. Being that it has dried up everywhere, I'm curious to see what everyone's second choice is. I'm putting Lucas in my wing right now, but dont want a 60 dollar oil change for the concours.

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
Re: What's your second choice to rotella?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 12:20:03 PM »
VR1. I run it in the old cars (50+ yrs old, one very hot rodded) with flat tappet cams, plenty of zinc. On par with regular motor oil costs, and they do make a synthetic version. .02
I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline FTB530

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 09:44:04 PM »
Wonder how much i could sell my two gallons of T-6 for on e-bay🤔

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 02:12:30 AM »
Oil, specifically 10W40 oil that meets the specs specified in the manual and does not contain friction modifiers.  ;D
I have never gone for any particular brand and have yet to have any issues caused by oil.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline m in sc

• Polluting Rockhill with 2 strokes for decades.
    • 2 stroke world
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 06:11:08 AM »
the point behind the rotella is the zinc for the most part. Personally, i don't think its necessary on the c10, or any bike TBH, and run whatever MC oil as well, but the point was what's comparable to t6 (if you cant get it).

VR1 ...its off the shelf 9.75 a qt, 10.75 for synthetic version here @ the parts store. im sure its cheaper on amazon or whatever. I run 7 qts in my big block ford and it holds up really well, and im not easy on it at all. reason again being, big flat tappet cam.

I -have- run it in a gearbox on an old 2-stroke (my t500) and its fine on wet clutches and the gearbox seems to like it. I run castrol synthetic mc oil in the C10.

here you go. 6 bucks a qt at wally world.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline-VR1-Racing-10W-30-Conventional-Motor-Oil-1-QT/196957962

I break and fix stuff.  No more concours's in the stables. see you guys around...

Offline Stasch

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 07:43:29 AM »
Its still available in Michigan anyway.

Tractor Supply sells the T6 in 2.5 gallon containers at a bit of a discount from the 4 quart jug.

I paid $49.99 before tax about 9 months ago when I couldn't find it anywhere else, and I'm for good for 3 oil changes with a little left over.

TSC cost before tax is up to $59.99 right now.  25% (corrected due to bad math - I really are graduated)  20% inflation jump.

Walmart is $23.49 on sale for 4 qt. if ordered online and is actually a bit less per quart if shipping is free (which I think it is if you have it sent it to the store for pickup or if your total order is $35 or more)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 02:58:21 PM by Stasch »
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline dboogie2288

• Beginnerbikers.org
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2022, 10:28:30 AM »
Its still available in Michigan anyway.

Tractor Supply sells the T6 in 2.5 gallon containers at a bit of a discount from the 4 quart jug.

I paid $49.99 before tax about 9 months ago when I couldn't find it anywhere else, and I'm for good for 3 oil changes with a little left over.

TSC cost before tax is up to $59.99 right now.  25% inflation jump.

Walmart is $23.49 on sale for 4 qt. if ordered online and is actually a bit less per quart if shipping is free (which I think it is if you have it sent it to the store for pickup or if your total order is $35 or more)

I actually found a few gallons available at a different OReilly.....but all the walmarts in my vicinity are out. I checked online yesterday. But for this year at least, I'm good.

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 11:41:55 AM »
I've done Lucas too but as stated above, you should be able to find a bike specific oil or an oil fitting the parameters talked about. Online seems to be the way to go nowdays, I'm lucky here in Cleveland we can still find Rotella, well, for now at least.

Maybe talked about before but what I'm seeing at the places I used to buy Rotella are now only stocking their own brand of oils made for them. And some new outlets selling Rotella that didn't before. Moving the cheese around.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Chrome Megaphone

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2022, 07:32:43 AM »
I'm using Mobil Delvac 1300 Super 15W40, purchasing 4 gallons at a time at Walmart.com because I use it in an old 4 banger car with loose mains.  It doesn't knock with this.