Author Topic: Question about KPASS emergency start wiring harness  (Read 3457 times)

Offline RonLyke

Question about KPASS emergency start wiring harness
« on: July 01, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »

I have a few questions regarding the KPASS work around harness / fuse thing---I believe it was developed by a forum member—BDF, I think.  I’m thinking of buying a Concours, and I’d like to understand this.

1.   As I understand it, its sole purpose is to bypass the sticking tab problem and allow the key to operate. Correct? --and that it works all the time, and that’s really the only thing that malfunctions (other than dead fob batteries).

2.   Also, I was looking at a bike, and couldn’t find the gray boot with the connector inside. Is it necessary to remove Tupperware to get to it?

Thanks,
Ron

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Question about KPASS emergency start wiring harness
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 06:55:55 PM »
There's some info here..  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6976.0 but most likely Brian will be around by and by and net it out for you.  On the 08/09 bikes, the boot is under the left top black fairing cover.  I think that you would have to remove that piece to get to it.  We don't hear about that problem much anymore for some reason.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 06:57:49 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Try BDF's web site. He'll answer any questions there or here if he see this.

http://www.incontrolne.com/

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 06:26:18 AM »
The KiPass activation switch harness. There is a small switch under the key in the ignition switch housing that is activated when the key is pressed down. These get stuck on occasion and render the bike unable to start- stuck. The bypass allows that circuit to be opened and closed again easily so the bike will start.

The harness does go into the connector in the boot under the left / top fairing cover. To install it, the easiest way I think is to remove that fairing cover (not the fairing though). A couple of screws and one push- rivet is all that holds it on.

The connector has apparently changed colors on the second generation C-14 but it is still there and still wired exactly the same. The harness fits / works on all model year C-14s.

Kawasaki has been using a stronger return spring on the later bikes and that has reduced the incidence of the problem but has not eliminated it. We have seen 2013 bikes stuck with this problem. The true 'cure' would be to mechanically attach the switch plunger to the main stove knob key so that when it does stick, the key can be forced up; depending on a spring to move mechanical things, especially a spring the size used in ball point pens, is a poor design approach.

Brian

I have a few questions regarding the KPASS work around harness / fuse thing---I believe it was developed by a forum member—BDF, I think.  I’m thinking of buying a Concours, and I’d like to understand this.

1.   As I understand it, its sole purpose is to bypass the sticking tab problem and allow the key to operate. Correct? --and that it works all the time, and that’s really the only thing that malfunctions (other than dead fob batteries).

2.   Also, I was looking at a bike, and couldn’t find the gray boot with the connector inside. Is it necessary to remove Tupperware to get to it?

Thanks,
Ron
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 06:40:00 AM »
Or use a hammer.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 06:47:52 AM »
And hope it works 'cause that one is 'iffy'. The harness is a sure thing.

Brian

Or use a hammer.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 07:10:55 AM »
Or use a hammer.

And hope it works 'cause that one is 'iffy'. The harness is a sure thing.

Brian

What happens if you use a hammer on the harness?

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn