Author Topic: Brutal Fuel Odor  (Read 8736 times)

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
Re: Brutal Fuel Odor
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2012, 12:32:43 AM »
You were able to get 4 years from a rebuild? I got 4 minutes when I did my rebuild.  That is why I buy new. The link I gave you is for new and not for a rebuild.
Please rethink automatic versus  manual petcock. When you have no overflow tubes  your chances of hydro locking go way up when when you have a manual.
We have had many discussions  as to why that is.
Just get over flow tubes ASAP before something bad happens.

Nope, no more vacuum petcocks for me.  Carbs aren't coming off ever again either. 

If it hydrolocks, I'll part her out.  I would much rather put 50lbs of tannerite in the tank, take it out to the desert and film the results but I'm not a litterbug.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 02:50:50 PM »
Daytona Mike, you were absolutely right.

Why pay the extra dough for a Pingel when I'm hopefully only going to have this bike one more year, if that?

Ordered parts from murphs today.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline Leo

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 07:57:52 PM »
My 1995 has less than 60,000 on it.  Carbs have never been off, the emission plugs are still in the housings and the original petcock is still on the bike.  No fuel filter has been added to the line, depending completely on the strainer screens in the tank.  It starts and idles, even after winter storage.  The bike has gotten a couple ounces of Marvel Mystery oil almost every fill up since it had 1500 miles on it.   My 1997 had carb, petcock, and tank rust problems when I got it that I never got sorted out completely, the 1st owner never used marvel, but he loved screwing with the cabs and though he could solve everything with fuel system cleaner.  The original owner never used Marvel oil.  One of the 2004's needed the carbs pulled and cleaned at the 600 miles, after setting several months in the showroom with some gas in it.   The fuel line also got flakes from inside.   I think the alcohol in the gas is murder in the whole  fuel system, and the Marvel oil counter acts the corrosion, rust and rubber rot.     

I know I just jinked myself, my 1995 bike will probably hydrolock and burst into flames tomorrow. 
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 05:48:15 AM »
... When you have no overflow tubes  your chances of hydro locking go way up when when you have a manual.

Only if your forgetful....
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 06:45:15 AM »
Only if your forgetful....
   Forget what??
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 07:09:20 AM »
Tony P. Crochet

Offline JDM

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2012, 07:26:13 AM »
what is a what? I forget.
If you have seen heaven, I am sure something scared the hell out of you.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2012, 07:47:44 PM »
what is a what? I forget.

A little OT but I need to vent....

An Engineer on my team has been in jeopardy of loosing his job (+100K PY) since he started with us well over a year ago because he is forgetful....

Along with lazy, sloppy and he has a frigging excuse for everything.....

Yet I'm the BG cause I keep extending his probation and giving him another chance to turn it around.

Being in charge of the operation, upkeep & repair of a +60 million dollar Tug & Barge (plus 10 souls) I have ZERO tolerance for forgetfulness or sloppy work!

Y'all understand right?
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2012, 10:44:38 PM »
  Tough call.And it's your call!
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2012, 12:10:13 AM »
A little OT but I need to vent....

An Engineer on my team has been in jeopardy of loosing his job (+100K PY) since he started with us well over a year ago because he is forgetful....

Along with lazy, sloppy and he has a frigging excuse for everything.....

Yet I'm the BG cause I keep extending his probation and giving him another chance to turn it around.

Being in charge of the operation, upkeep & repair of a +60 million dollar Tug & Barge (plus 10 souls) I have ZERO tolerance for forgetfulness or sloppy work!

Y'all understand right?

You have a responsibility to the responsible.  Sounds like he needs another job.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red