Author Topic: New member, new bike, few questions...  (Read 8681 times)

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
Re: New member, new bike, few questions...
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 06:31:26 AM »
Welcome and glad you got it sorted out.  I'm down in Fairfax County.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2014, 09:10:42 PM »
Hi RFH...Thanks. Where abouts are you located? I am around Alexandria and have been looking for a fellow Concours owner who lives close by.

Welcome and glad you got it sorted out.  I'm down in Fairfax County.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 05:27:45 AM »
I live in Mason Neck just before you go to Woodbridge off of Route 1, the dot on the profile map is pretty much on top of my house.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »
Thanks RFH. I'll have to PM you if I am in your corner of the woods.

Do you know of a gathering of Concours owners in our area?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »
Our area has been pretty quiet.  The last wrench session I went to was in the southside of Richmond (Chesterfield) in the month of January.  It was a 100 mile ride at 13 to 19 degrees.  What joy it was!  I thought of doing one but my garage is still full of crap.  Craigslist and a large trash can have been helping me with that lately.  I got the tools - just not the space.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2014, 02:38:18 PM »
How do you learn of these wrench sessions? I'll go to one if it's not in Jan!

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 03:22:45 AM »
How do you learn of these wrench sessions? I'll go to one if it's not in Jan!
Check the events section in this forum and check here:

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/board,9.0.html

and here:

http://cog-online.org/clubportal/Calendar.cfm?clubID=1328

You do not have to be an official COG member to attend virtually any COG event.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 11:13:55 PM »
So now that my carbs are good, as recommended I am going to do the film thing to clean my left leaking fork seal before I consider replacing both. A couple of questions please:

1) Do I need to pull the dust seal off before I go in and scrape with the film? Or just slide the film with the dust seal on as-is?

2) My seal leaks only if I don't ride the bike for a few days!! If I ride it everyday the leak never manifests itself. I check before and after ever ride. The leak is about 3-5 drops and shows up if I let the bike sit for more than 3 days. Why?

You might want to try this technique first.

How to Clean Motorcycle Fork Seals

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 07:57:10 AM »
I've always moved the dust seal out of the way if possible (which has been every time).  They are usually tapped in and not glued.  Just a thin smooth edge (putty knife) to see if it can be pryed loose then slid up the tube.  This will aslo let you soak up the oil that is laying between the seal and dust shield.  Otherwise, even if you clean and stop the leak, you may have oil residue seeping for a while and not realize you corrected it.

Perhaps in the resting position there is a bug or blemish on the forks?  When you clean them, lift the front wheel off the ground with a jack so you can see as much of the fork tube as possible.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 10:12:16 PM »
I tried to pull it off using my nails and it is very tight. I don't think it can be pried off from the top. Or maybe I am not using sufficient force.

I've always moved the dust seal out of the way if possible (which has been every time).  They are usually tapped in and not glued.  Just a thin smooth edge (putty knife) to see if it can be pryed loose then slid up the tube.  This will aslo let you soak up the oil that is laying between the seal and dust shield.  Otherwise, even if you clean and stop the leak, you may have oil residue seeping for a while and not realize you corrected it.

Perhaps in the resting position there is a bug or blemish on the forks?  When you clean them, lift the front wheel off the ground with a jack so you can see as much of the fork tube as possible.