Author Topic: Adding to the stereotype...  (Read 5942 times)

Offline MiniCog

Adding to the stereotype...
« on: July 01, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
I absolutely hate having to be grouped with these idiots. Freaking stereotypes, I wish people would get over them. http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/070111-4-Motorcyclists-Crash-on-Toll-Road
Past: XR650R, 250 Ninjette.
Present: None...
Next: C-14, '08-09 Speed Triple, and/or Sprint GT.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
Re: Adding to the stereotype...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
I absolutely hate having to be grouped with these idiots. Freaking stereotypes, I wish people would get over them. http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/070111-4-Motorcyclists-Crash-on-Toll-Road

Such a needless shame... glad the rider who was being harassed survived it...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
Yeah, it sucks, but at least the guy that was riding responsibly is OK. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:55:52 AM »
Funny, this thread comes up. I was out yesterday for a ride to join my sons firefighting buddies in a softball game. It was a 50 mile ride through some very nice country roads, some nice long sweepers and a few tight turns. It was Fri morning traffic though, so I really couldn't hit it the way i like. But I did get passed by a kid on a GSXR, no warning, no beep of a horn, just a blitz by at an est. 80 mpoh or so. He tried to pass the car in front of me also, but we were approaching a hill and backed off. I had to follow him for a few miles, and I was just waiting for something to happen, considering how close he was on the cars bumper. If there were any dead animals on the road, this guy would never be able to avoid them with that short distance. He finally got to pass, and did so with a front wheel rise and then a major blow by.
I got to the ball park, found a spot to park, and low and behold, what was parked at the restrooms, that same Gxr. I parked and got out of my gear, he came out and saw me and came over. I said hello, he did the same, and I asked him if he was ok, because he did look flustered. He said he almost lost it on the turn a mile or so back, when the car he was passing came left of center. I asked him if is horns worked, he said yes, and i said, try using it next time when you want to pass, a couple of short honks at least allerts them your intentions. He thanked me for the suggestion, he had never thought of that, really?
By the way, his idea of gear was a helmet, a leather jacket, shorts and tennis shoes. An accident waiting to happen, but like my son, the paramedic says, these guys help keep him employed.
ATGATT, ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 08:39:01 AM »
I'm in the D.C. Metro Area of VA.  I see a lot of sportbikers riding stupidly, in shorts and t-shirts, clearly displaying horrible judgement and riding skills.

Stereotypes come about for a reason...  whether we like it or not.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline wildwilly

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 10:48:09 AM »
I get zoomed by the crotch-rocket gansters around Seattle occasionally.  You can see them coming up from behind most of the time.  It'll be 4 or 5 sport bike coming up fast, weaving in and out of traffic at speed.  I just stay in the middle of my lane and slow down to match the speed of surrounding traffic. 

Usually, they'l just pass me and maybe flip me off.  But sometimes they pass really close by and pop a wheelie or some other crap.  If they start stunting, I'll try and leave the freeway so I don't get lumped in with them when the WSP starts taking action.

Offline Leo

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 02:35:17 PM »
I was not there so I cannot say what happened.   Why is it assumed the harley rider was comnpletely innocent?    I have been on the opposite side.  I have been riding briskly without doing any foolish actions and trying to pass in a civilized manor,  and had some of the pirate costume riding crowd decide to pull out of their slow moving vehicle formation and try to block me from going around.  It does not happen often,  but it does happen.  Maybe the guy was trying to block the passing bikes (who may have been driving too fast).  I have had a truck door purposely open up on me while trying to get around styopped traffic to get to my off ramp.  People do stupid stuff sometimes.    Like I say, there are always two sides of the story and then there is the truth.  Either way, I hate to hear when any biker dies on the road.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 04:44:10 PM »
There have been several recently around here.  I can't remember the others but I'll post when I find the link.  Note the wreckage spread over the length of TWO FOOTBALL FILEDS.  Mind-boggling.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/124282299.html

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 05:22:27 PM »
http://superbikeblog.blogspot.com/2011/05/bad-facts-lead-to-bad-laws-4598.html

I just hate how when a law is made, like when they tried to say that ANY sportbike (Even the CBR250R and 250 Ninja...) has to be ridden by someone 18 or over and license to ride it.  Any passenger had to be able to ride (have a class M license) and be 18.  That's major crap, because then everyone who is turning 15 (like I was 2.5 years ago), they would have to buy a Honda Rebel or Suzuki GS250, both of which are slow and can barely go highway speeds (and not even ALL highway speeds).  If anything, a 15 year old on a "sportbike" (CBR250R/250 Ninja) would be safer on the "killing machine" than the "totally safe" 250cc cruisers. 

Lawmakers don't even know how to make non-discriminatory laws...   :pukeface:

I think the next bike I get (Besides a 600/SV) is gonna have to be a Sport-tourer.  There aren't as extreme stereotypes (Bar-hopping helmet hater cruisers/squid sportbikers) that come with a Concours /C-14/FJR/ST1300...

YoDoc

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 09:35:49 PM »

I think the next bike I get (Besides a 600/SV) is gonna have to be a Sport-tourer.  There aren't as extreme stereotypes (Bar-hopping helmet hater cruisers/squid sportbikers) that come with a Concours /C-14/FJR/ST1300...

Sure there are. Extreme practicality... LOL.

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 06:31:56 AM »
Sure there are. Extreme practicality... LOL.

Ohhh man, that's worse than not being able to go see a movie or something with someone because you have a "crotch rocket" and their parents are closed minded people that stereotype people...  :o

Looks like I WON'T be getting a sport-tourer then...  ;)

Offline Leo

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 07:15:37 PM »
Mini Cog, 
You think dating on a motorcycle is tough with the parents,  35 years ago I drove a van.  It was a panel van and the whole floor, ceiling and interior sides were covered with red shag carpet.  There were a lot of speakers in the ceiling hooked up to an 8 track player that was mounted to the ceiling in the cab.  Something else of the era was a panel on the ceiling that flashed different color lights in time to the music.  The front and back was seperated by red and amber hanging beads.  Of course it doubled as a camper, so the back had a bed covered with throw pillows and stuff.  Next to the bed was an ice  box, just like in a camper.   I thought it was a pretty trick truck back then. 

Several fathers told me to leave and never talk to their daughters again when they saw my van.  One girl got grounded for giving me her address.  One father actually threw a hatchet at me.    I thought those fathers were very uncool. 

When my soon to be wife came home from college, I rode my open exhaust, cafe racer styled honda 500 4 cylinder so her dad would not see the van.  Since she was over 18 her dad figured that he coundn't completely seperate us, so he gave me the keys to his car.  It was a green and fake wood side Pontiac grand safari station wagon set up for towing a camper trailer, not as cool as a van or a bike.

I am now a grandpa, and I learned something back then.  If a boy comes around my grand daughters driving a van or a motorcycle, I am going to calmly go in the house.........

and get a hatchet to throw at him!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 07:50:26 PM »
Mini Cog, 
You think dating on a motorcycle is tough with the parents,  35 years ago I drove a van.  It was a panel van and the whole floor, ceiling and interior sides were covered with red shag carpet.  There were a lot of speakers in the ceiling hooked up to an 8 track player that was mounted to the ceiling in the cab.  Something else of the era was a panel on the ceiling that flashed different color lights in time to the music.  The front and back was seperated by red and amber hanging beads.  Of course it doubled as a camper, so the back had a bed covered with throw pillows and stuff.  Next to the bed was an ice  box, just like in a camper.   I thought it was a pretty trick truck back then. 

Several fathers told me to leave and never talk to their daughters again when they saw my van.  One girl got grounded for giving me her address.  One father actually threw a hatchet at me.    I thought those fathers were very uncool. 

When my soon to be wife came home from college, I rode my open exhaust, cafe racer styled honda 500 4 cylinder so her dad would not see the van.  Since she was over 18 her dad figured that he coundn't completely seperate us, so he gave me the keys to his car.  It was a green and fake wood side Pontiac grand safari station wagon set up for towing a camper trailer, not as cool as a van or a bike.

I am now a grandpa, and I learned something back then.  If a boy comes around my grand daughters driving a van or a motorcycle, I am going to calmly go in the house.........

We just bring out the guns for a good cleaning  8)

Offline Karl

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »
I was not there so I cannot say what happened.   Why is it assumed the harley rider was comnpletely innocent?    I have been on the opposite side.  I have been riding briskly without doing any foolish actions and trying to pass in a civilized manor,  and had some of the pirate costume riding crowd decide to pull out of their slow moving vehicle formation and try to block me from going around.  It does not happen often,  but it does happen. 

That has happened to me also.
"did you check them points?"

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 10:20:23 PM »
Mini Cog, 

That is pretty slick!  Who'd you sell it to (I wanna track it down and get it!)

My other ride at the time was (is) a 1993 F-150 with fender skirts, a bug catcher, a camper shell and a bed liner with carpet on the bottom.  Needless to say, I took all that stuff off...  Because I wanted to (I don't care for a camper shell, fender skirts or a bug catcher!)

I got a few of the "Free Candy" and "Little boy" jokes thrown my way...  ;D

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 06:56:47 AM »
It was a green and fake wood side Pontiac grand safari station wagon set up for towing a camper trailer, not as cool as a van or a bike.

Am I correct in picturing the "Family Truckster" from National Lampoon's Vacation?

"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Leo

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »
Jon, you got the idea!   It was not much different than that car.

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 10:13:03 AM »
"I don't want my daughter in your van, you will take advantage of her in that. Take my STATION WAGON instead. She'll be safe there..."

Yeah, right!
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline MiniCog

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
"I don't want my daughter in your van, you will take advantage of her in that. Take my STATION WAGON instead. She'll be safe there..."

Yeah, right!

"OH, so you want me to take the Shaggin' waggin' instead of my stabbin' cabin?  Cool, gotcha."   ;)

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 02:49:28 PM »
Jon, you got the idea!   It was not much different than that car.

Yeah, I looked up the actual Pontiac Grand Safari Station Wagon after I found that pic.

I'm pretty sure it's where National Lampoon got the idea.