Author Topic: Tires  (Read 8875 times)

Offline paulthibodeaux

• Arena
Tires
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:16:28 AM »
I've had a C14 for a while. I'm back to a C10 now. What are the best tires for handling and good mileage?

Offline VodkaAndPickles

Re: Tires
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:41:41 AM »
The ones that are attached to the C14.   ;D

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:20:42 AM »
best tires for handling and good mileage?
I do believe  those two qualities are mutually exclusive.  Another words 'you cant have your cake and eat it too'.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 08:35:26 AM »
There are some tires that have good traction that are higher mileage tires.  However, if you are looking for really sticky tires, those tend to not last as long on the Connie.

As long as you aren't looking for cutting edge performance (i.e. you are planning to tour more, instead pushing the bike to it's handling limits), there are several options.

My info on this is out of date at this point (my tires of choice are now discontinued), although I can say that the Avon Venom AM42 is a decent tire, but there are some other interesting options at this point of time.  I'm sure others will chime in shortly with recommended tire combos.  There are several recent Shinko threads as well that discuss current tire availability and some recommended combos (use the forum search).
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 12:57:56 PM »
I'm gonna try the BT45V since I can't get the Pilot GT's anymore.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline kisley

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 05:57:24 PM »
Put the BT45's on about 3000 miles ago and they are great.  Well I did have the 880 on the rear which seems hard as a rock.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 11:38:56 PM »
Put the BT45's on about 3000 miles ago and they are great.  Well I did have the 880 on the rear which seems hard as a rock.

Several people here have shared issues with the Metzeler ME880 tire.  The tire has a long tread life, but has been reported to have less traction performance than other options (with at least one crash reported by a ME880 user involving traction), especially in wet weather conditions.  That's what I've read in various posts over the years.  Thus, you probably should look at other options if you are looking for above average grip performance, especially in inclement weather.

This comment does not apply to the BT45 Battleax tires, of course.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline paulthibodeaux

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:56:00 AM »
I tried 880s before. They were OK, but I don't ride in the rain. Wet roads scare me.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 04:02:28 AM »
best tires for handling and good mileage?
I do believe  those two qualities are mutually exclusive.  Another words 'you cant have your cake and eat it too'.

You can get fairly close with the AVON Venom Bias Belted in the stock 150/80-16 size in the rear and the AVON Radial in the front in 110/80-18 this combo even got a thumbs up from Don Ricks and we all know how fussy he is about his tires. I've run Wing sized Venoms before and had no complaint in the grip dept just that the tires were a bit heavy and had to be pushed with a bit more effort.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 06:23:21 AM »
I tried 880s before. They were OK, but I don't ride in the rain. Wet roads scare me.
Wet roads dont bother me  until I rode  an 880.  You should be scared with those tires or anything else as hard as 880's. They scare me on dry roads.  I live (sometimes) in Florida. If I was worried that it was going to rain I would never be able to get the bike out of the garage. It rains everyday somewhere in FLorida.
Ultra Strom2 and  PR3 are my tires of choice.They grip very well on wet roads, better than an 880 on dry.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:08:29 AM »
Overall for my style of riding nothing beets the BT45. 47 years of riding daily (11 1/2  months a year, 8000 to 12000 miles a year}
Tried the OEM dunflops, hated them. Avons, poor mileage, bad quality control but outstanding in the rain.

Offline paulthibodeaux

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »
What kind of mileage with the BT45s?

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 05:48:05 PM »
PR3 in front, 110-80zr18, Michelin Commander II in stock size in rear, please note the II after Commander. I had a stock size Avon Venom in back, had to replace prematurely do to some sort of carcass failure on my last trip. As an aside, I had sworn off Avon Tyres 30 years ago cuz they sucked then. Convinced from others on how "good" the Venom was, I tried one. No more. The Commander II on the back lets me accelerate out of a corner without getting squirelly, and rides a LOT smoother. They also have sliica in the thread to help with wet weather, but it will/did slip slightly when  heavy on the throttle coming out of a corner on wet, very new blacktop. I was trying to locate a Shinko Journey 890 for fitment, but could not find one in stock in the Mpls/St Paul area. I found the Commander II and pulled the trigger. I was almost in the "if it's black, round, fits, and holds air" mode of shopping, as I was on a trip. The Commander II is a pleasant surprise, tho will probably fit the Shinko next. When the Shinko wears out, the bike should have over 200k miles on it. I think I'll get something different to ride at that point.

Not to inflame folks here, but Avon Tyres sucked thirty years ago, and they still suck, IMHO. Your opinion, and mileage, may vary. My experiences with Avon tyres has not been good, at all, ever.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline VodkaAndPickles

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2012, 07:30:05 PM »

Not to inflame folks here, but Avon Tyres sucked thirty years ago, and they still suck, IMHO. Your opinion, and mileage, may vary. My experiences with Avon tyres has not been good, at all, ever.

+1

I have Roadriders front and rear.  I'm pretty disappointed with them.  The rear wore out in quite a bit less than 10k miles (front is still good for a long time), and despite the short tread life, they were never particularly confidence inspiring in the corners.  Very bad in the wet.  I have a Venom to put on the back next.  I hope it will be better.  If not, I'll be looking for a new brand.  How many miles are you getting on your PR3/Michelin tire combination?

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »
What kind of mileage with the BT45s?
last tire change was almost 11000 on the front, about 9000 on the rear. I replace my tires sooner than most would so many would get more mileage. The rear I have on now is the excedra max which the same as the Bt45 but is belted. It shows almost 9000 miles and looks to get at least 3000 more. I'm well pleased with the belted tire. When I bought the rear they were not making a belted in our front size. Maybe later. 

enim57

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2012, 08:19:56 PM »
I had a stock size Avon Venom in back, had to replace prematurely do to some sort of carcass failure on my last trip.

Interesting you say that, I've read a bit about Avon carcass failures. Have a look at this post:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9707.0

Regards, Russell