Author Topic: URGENT HELP NEEDED  (Read 2713 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
URGENT HELP NEEDED
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:16:01 PM »
Damn, damn, damn! I know, never do anything yo your bike just before a big ride.
I was wiggling my exhaust to get to to bust loose to change my rear tire and my exhaust broke.  It broke off inside the muffler....
I'm not sure how to fix this. Here is a pic of the exhaust.
Crap the rally is way to close for stuff like this.
I'm not sure I can get the broken piece put without destroying the packing.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Summit670

Re: URGENT HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 12:47:12 PM »
take a hacksaw blade and cut it, then gently pry it loose.  I've never had to do it, only an idea if it was me.  then maybe weld it back on or weld on a new piece which has the same OD and maybe you can get from a muffler shop?
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

jirod

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 03:56:36 PM »
If you can get to the edge from the inside maybe you can use something with a ledge to go around an pull it out one small step at a time without breaking the packing. Bend the muffler tube out first so you don't have to fight it. I think Summit670 suggestion to go to a muffler shop is a good one.  They have tools.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »
Problem averted. I ended up going to a muffler shop. They took a 1.5" pipe and stretched one end to 1.58" and the other end to 1.68".
The 1.58 is a press fit into the cross-over pipe. The 1.68 is the size of the existing price that broke off.
I picked up some high temp packing for the flange and a tube of metal paste. My plan is to put the paste on the pipe and press it into the exhaust. This before I assembled everything (test fit). I think it will work for now.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »
Nice last-minute fix! Think of us while you're on your big trip, we'll be waiting on a closing, or if we're really lucky, moving into our new house  ;D
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190