Author Topic: Bafflectomy???  (Read 6925 times)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Bafflectomy???
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:30:22 AM »
OK...I'll admit it. I'm a newbie. That being said, are there any advantages/disadvantages to doing it? Besides raising the ire of neighbors/constables in the area. Detectable HP/torque/mpg gains?
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Mettler1

Re: Bafflectomy???
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 12:29:42 PM »
  Been done many times. Does not increase torque, power, gas mileage or much of anything other than a little more noise. If that makes you happy have a shot at it.

Read this by the man who knows.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=175.msg1225#msg1225
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 03:11:51 PM »
According to past threads, Dyno runs, and the link you listed, it will increase HP by 2 to 3 HP and only increase sound by a little.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 04:46:26 PM »
  Been done many times. Does not increase torque, power, gas mileage or much of anything other than a little more noise. If that makes you happy have a shot at it.

Read this by the man who knows.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=175.msg1225#msg1225

Then why does  the 'Man who Knows' say this (I read this in the  link you posted):

Mufflers - Used Cobras, Holeshots, Staintunes. Prices will range from a couple hundred used to 600 for the holeshots. Generally only good for 2-3 hp at best, and some noise. You'll accomplish the same thing by just drilling or punching out the baffle in your stock mufflers.

I had my stock mufflers done years ago by Sunny Steve . I was expecting and maybe even worried that it might be loud(er). To my surprise the bike was much faster and quieter and smoother running. The only time I thought it was any louder was when I stood behind the bike and listened to it idle and thought it might be a tiny bit louder. 
I should mention  that Steve did the whole package for me at one time-  Exhaust sprocket mod, 7th Gear Mod,  carb clean and re-jet,bafflectomy and much more but the end result was a much smoother , faster quieter better running bike. Thankfully Steve talked me out of buying a set of Holeshots  and  had me divert  my money towards a much better 'bang for the buck'. 
2 to 3 horse power ,a little better gas mileage , little to no noise increase and  for the cost of borrowing  hole saw is a very good deal indeed.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »
I did mine last year.  Slightly more throaty sound to the exhaust now.  Well worth the couple of minutes it took to do. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 06:20:48 PM »
What size hole saw? Does it cut easy? Would not want to get something stuck in there. I punched out the ones in my last Connie but want to cut them out this time.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 06:42:00 PM »
I used a step-drill from Harbor Freight and an extension I picked up at Home Depot.  (12" extension I think)  The extension has a quick-release that the step-drill clipped into quite nicely.  The step-drill was just a bit smaller than the end of the exhaust anyway, so I put it in until it hit the baffle, and ran the drill until the step-drill went all the way through.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 11:22:46 PM »
I used a 1 1/8" hole saw, which barely fit in the pipe.  1" hole saws are used fairly commonly for Connie Bafflectomies.

Bafflectomy reduced my buzz slightly, and I'm happy with the results.

Also, my Connie sounds meaner now...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »
Yup 1 1/8 is a perfect fit. As mentioned you will need an extension; just make darn sure that the set screw is tight on the extension.  I damn near lost my hole saw doing a baffelectomy for a friend. I was sweating getting it back out :-\
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 10:07:38 AM »
Beings I'm an electrician, it shouldn't be too hard to find a hole saw. WLL make sure it is good and tight before starting. Thanks.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 10:39:28 AM »
Beings I'm an electrician, it shouldn't be too hard to find a hole saw. WLL make sure it is good and tight before starting. Thanks.
OMG electricians with hole saws, what's next; dentists with pick axes?? :o :o
Hydraulic/pneumatic slug busters are the way to go  :chugbeer:
Just kidd'n ya I use hole saws all the time also.
Electricians do it more frequently and we do it till it hurtz
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 11:48:12 AM »
Yup 1 1/8 is a perfect fit. As mentioned you will need an extension; just make darn sure that the set screw is tight on the extension. I damn near lost my hole saw doing a baffelectomy for a friend. I was sweating getting it back out :-\
[/color]
I could see that happening to me!
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 05:35:58 AM »
Hydraulic/pneumatic slug busters are the way to go 

Can't argue with that. Gotta be on both sides to make it work though  ;)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »
Hydraulic/pneumatic slug busters are the way to go 

Can't argue with that. Gotta be on both sides to make it work though  ;)

I believe that SISF recommends using Rebar and a hammer to punch your holes in the baffles...
 ;D

:stirpot:
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 06:07:09 PM »
I believe that SISF recommends using Rebar and a hammer to punch your holes in the baffles...
 ;D

:stirpot:

:thumbs:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 09:34:39 AM »
I've done the deed bothways. Either way works.
NOTE: I had 1 guy say his bike ran worse after the baffelectomy. I suspect that the baffelectomy was not the cause of the problem but only intensified a problem he already had.
I suspect his problem was carb float height or crack in the air box.

Ride safe, Ted