Author Topic: MC crash bars instal  (Read 5784 times)

Offline redbraid

MC crash bars instal
« on: May 24, 2011, 04:41:07 AM »
Just picked up the MC crash bars and the instructions seem pretty straight forward. Just wondering if anybody had any advice or hints that aren't in the instructions.

Thanks for the help

Offline Armyguns

Re: MC crash bars instal
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 05:06:03 AM »
Just picked up the MC crash bars and the instructions seem pretty straight forward. Just wondering if anybody had any advice or hints that aren't in the instructions.

Thanks for the help

I put mine on three weeks ago.  Front and back.  The backs are EASY.  The fronts are more difficult, but the instructions are very good.  The left side is much easier to install than the right side due to the top bolt on the right side being difficult to access when the fairing piece is in place.  Also the metal spacer, both sides (sleeve thing) is a PITA to hold in place and then insert the bolt through.  It's doable, but a third hand would be helpful.  Unfortunately, there isn't room for a helper.  When I take the tupperwear off again, I will cut the two pieces of the front edge of the middle fairings (both sides) so that they can be removed without needing to remove the bars again. Currently there is no way to remove the tupperwear without removing the bars.  It's a simple fix and I should have done it originally, but I wasn't sure I was going to keep the bars.  After a couple of trips with them in place, and after adding the LED lights to the brackets on the bars, I know I am keeping them.  I got the black bars so they really do blend in with the bike.  I stayed away from the chrome because I didn't want them to stand out, visually. 

Take your time and it will come out fine.  Consider cutting the fairing so that you don't have to 'thread' the bars through the openings for installation. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline redbraid

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 04:36:05 AM »
Remembered the cutting from the old website. Not as bad as I thought, just tedious. Lock tite on all bar bolts. Good excuse to check the air cleaner and exhaust nuts also. Could you send or post a pic of you lights. I build squad cars and have a few ideas. Now need to look into passenger peg lowers.

Offline robbie

• Tampabay, FL
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 05:38:24 AM »
Pretty straight forward, no problems. I did choose to snip the little piece of plastic on the fairing were the air deflector is so that I could pull the fairing without removing the bar. I highly recommend doing this. It is very simple, I sniped mine with a pair of wire cutters. I did not remove any material just made a snip. When its put back together it is covered up and you cant see it.
2009 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2003 Goldwing, 2002 Goldwing, 2015 F-150, 2018 JK Wrangler, 2002 TJ Wrangler

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 06:05:51 PM »
Remembered the cutting from the old website. Not as bad as I thought, just tedious. Lock tite on all bar bolts. Good excuse to check the air cleaner and exhaust nuts also. Could you send or post a pic of you lights. I build squad cars and have a few ideas. Now need to look into passenger peg lowers.

Pics are contained within this thread:  http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=207.15

I'm changing the way I have them wired as soon as I get back from the OBX (this weekend).  Currently, they are wired thru a switched circuit (off when the bike is off) to a left handgrip mounted toggle switch which I can easily reach with my left thumb.  I ordered an LED dimmer and a Single Pole Double Throw relay.  The lights will be fed from both sides of the relay.  One side of the relay (the normally closed side) will run through the dimmer and will allow the lights to be on, but dimmed anytime the bike is running.  The other side of the relay will run full current and be switched ON when I hit the high beam switch on the bike.  I might keep the toggle.  I haven't decided yet.  I really won't NEED it as the dimmer will allow me to run the LED day and night when the bike is running.  These lights are really TOO bright to run even in the daylight at full bright.

Hope this helps. 
2010 C14 ABS

Offline Jose C-14

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 02:13:11 PM »
I installed mine last year. The installation was pretty strait forward but I over torque one of the engine screws, be carefull it was a pain in the you know what to correct it.

Offline redbraid

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 07:25:03 PM »
Finaly got the rears in the mail today, very easy install. Definitely utilitarian look. Feel like I'm riding something from Mad Max, kinda like it. :)

Offline Armyguns

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 07:46:48 PM »
Finaly got the rears in the mail today, very easy install. Definitely utilitarian look. Feel like I'm riding something from Mad Max, kinda like it. :)

I completely understand about the utilitarian look.  One thing that I found is they make a GREAT place to grab onto when hoisting the bike up on the centerstand!  If you have anything in the side bags and with the Givi 55 mounted, the bike is HARD to get onto the centerstand.  The extra weight just makes it more difficult since there really isn't anything to grab. The bars help out a lot. 
2010 C14 ABS