Author Topic: ECU flash latest releases  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Seneca

ECU flash latest releases
« on: March 28, 2021, 09:31:57 AM »
Hi, new C14 owner here, coming from ZX1100E and BMW K1200lt. 

I've read the posts regarding reflashes here and elsewhere, seems that Steve's flash is the flavor of choice here but elsewhere the Ivan's flash comes highly recommended.  I get it that this is a potential can of worms question but here goes.

My super aggressive riding days are over (I think) but better throttle response and smoothness would be great plus I do like an occasional DIY adrenalin rush.  Honestly I'd heard LOTS of superlatives about the Connie's power but didn't seem to me to be excessive BUT my "normal" includes the ZX11 gpz which has lots of low end throttle response.

So, is Steve's the no brainer way to go?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: ECU flash latest releases
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 09:36:56 AM »
Well, I haven't tried anyone else but I didn't have any complaints about Steve's flash at all.  Very pleased with it and you didn't need to take the flies out to use it.  He's spent quite a lot of time developing and working with it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 10:01:30 AM »
I've read the posts regarding reflashes here and elsewhere, seems that Steve's flash is the flavor of choice here but elsewhere the Ivan's flash comes highly recommended.  I get it that this is a potential can of worms question but here goes.[...]So, is Steve's the no brainer way to go?

Depends on who you ask.  It (Steve's/Shoodaben Mountain Runner) is much better than Guhl's because it is far more refined.  It matches the expectations and role of the Concours well.  I have no first-hand experience comparing Steve's  to Ivan's.  Pretty sure nobody else on the forum does, either.  So all you will get will be recommendations on what people have tried and speculation.   I give high recommendation to Shoodaben Mountain Runner.

But the results of stock vs. any of the three flashes is like night and day.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 05:23:46 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 10:48:24 AM »
Seneca, if you've been to my webpage, you've seen I have 3 different flashes depending on your riding style and needs. You don't have just a single choice, and these flashes are very different, it's not just words. So when you want to compare my flashes with the competition, which of my flashes are you wanting to compare? My Hammer flash is the most comparable, but it's not the one most people choose. Maybe there's a reason for that.
  Steve

Offline zarticus

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 12:03:53 PM »
Seneca, if you've been to my webpage, you've seen I have 3 different flashes depending on your riding style and needs. You don't have just a single choice, and these flashes are very different, it's not just words. So when you want to compare my flashes with the competition, which of my flashes are you wanting to compare? My Hammer flash is the most comparable, but it's not the one most people choose. Maybe there's a reason for that.
  Steve

The Hammer flash has dramatically changed my bike. Besides the incredible smoothness it has given my bike the power increase is INCREDIBLE !. The mountain runner premium has a bit more engine braking but with the Hammer in the twisties I stay in a gear thats low enough to give me the engine braking I need & let's me rocket out of the turn. The hammer's power comes on eary and quick but still smooth. 
2012 Kawasaki Concours 14 -  Candy Arabian Red
2014 Kawasaki Vaquero - Candy Burnt Orange
1986 Honda V65 Magna - Black
1984 Honda V65 Magna - Black

Offline CDII

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 05:18:24 PM »
I have experience with both. PM me if you like for impressions. 

Offline bmidd

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 04:11:13 PM »
Depends on who you ask.  It (Steve's/Shoodaben Mountain Runner) is much better than Guhl's because it is far more refined.  It matches the expectations and role of the Concours well.  I have no first-hand experience comparing Steve's  to Ivan's.  Pretty sure nobody else on the forum does, either.  So all you will get will be recommendations on what people have tried and speculation.  My speculation is that Ivan's is closer to Guhl's.  I give high recommendation to Shoodaben Mountain Runner.

But the results of stock vs. any of the three flashes is like night and day.

Since you don't have a clue, then why speculate? Mine(Ivan's) is buttery smooth, my Yamahas were too. Your speculation just adds to the ****-storm about flashes.

As to the OP, just go with who you want, pretty sure they're both an amazing improvement. The reason I went with Ivan's is more than a decade of using his products and flashes on other bikes. If I had never used an Ivan's product, then I too would have gone with Steve's flash.

Offline Mr2U

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 04:43:23 PM »
I have the mountain runner on my c14 and its perfect.
its so smooth, and the engine braking makes a big difference
when you are in tight twisties, with a big heavy bike.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 05:24:22 PM »
Since you don't have a clue,[about Ivan's vs. Steve's] then why speculate?

Good point- I have removed the speculation part, since it adds nothing productive to the posting.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc