Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 728618 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #2180 on: December 09, 2015, 05:30:25 AM »
Not a bad idea...what's the mpg on that?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2181 on: December 09, 2015, 09:22:57 AM »
Not a bad idea...what's the mpg on that?

Depending on which way the wind blows, 8 to 12.   :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2182 on: December 09, 2015, 10:04:18 AM »

Sounds like you need to drive downhill more ;)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2183 on: December 09, 2015, 10:20:18 AM »
I don't think that's too awful bad until you have to fill up the tank again..  It's better than an Abrams tank which gets about .6mpg, but worse than your VW.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #2184 on: December 09, 2015, 09:12:32 PM »

Not only which way it blows, but also how hard it blows.
Hate to admit it, but one trip with the camper trailer into a nasty headwind got no better than 6 mpg out of the old Suburban. Usually average about 10 mpg towing the camper, around 18ish w/o.
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2185 on: December 10, 2015, 05:00:47 AM »
Hate to admit it, but one trip with the camper trailer into a nasty headwind got no better than 6 mpg out of the old Suburban. Usually average about 10 mpg towing the camper, around 18ish w/o.

True this. On a recent trip down south I was heading into the wind on the way down and then the wind changed directions and I headed into the wind on the way home as well.   :censored:  :o   

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #2186 on: December 10, 2015, 05:56:52 AM »
Did you have a personal rain cloud, too?

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2187 on: December 10, 2015, 07:14:56 AM »
We pilots have been experiencing head winds in both directions since the Wright bros. Statistically this is true since a wind directly from the side acts like a head wind since you have to compensate for it. Depending on your airspeed and wind speed it's not until it is a rear quartering wind does it actually help or even be neutral. I would think this is somewhat true with a camper as well.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2188 on: December 10, 2015, 09:14:20 AM »
Did you have a personal rain cloud, too?

I used to have one but since I got a C-14 I outran it.  :)

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2189 on: December 13, 2015, 02:28:09 PM »
Just stumbled onto this thread. Stubbed my toe. I think it's busted.

Other than that, I got nothin'.
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2190 on: December 13, 2015, 02:36:52 PM »
Traveling east - west on I 80 and I 90, everything was going great... getting just over 40 MPG.... then I took I 29N to go from I 80 to I 90 after Chicago, turned left onto I 90 in SD and ran into the most obnoxious headwinds I have ever experienced. Mileage went from in the 40's MPG to 28 MPG in about 10 seconds. Spent the next bunch of hours riding at about a 15 degree lean angle on the bike, with my torso resting on the fuel tank. In addition to the gazillion MPH steady wind, it was gusting up to about three gazillion MPH. I 80 is a fantastic highway, and SD is a beautiful state IMO but I gotta' say, the ride through, three times out of four total, was truly awful.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2191 on: December 13, 2015, 05:09:03 PM »
Been there, done that, lost the T-shirt to the wind.. 

Offline Eupher

• Arena
  • U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2192 on: December 13, 2015, 08:27:29 PM »
Traveling east - west on I 80 and I 90, everything was going great... getting just over 40 MPG.... then I took I 29N to go from I 80 to I 90 after Chicago, turned left onto I 90 in SD and ran into the most obnoxious headwinds I have ever experienced. Mileage went from in the 40's MPG to 28 MPG in about 10 seconds. Spent the next bunch of hours riding at about a 15 degree lean angle on the bike, with my torso resting on the fuel tank. In addition to the gazillion MPH steady wind, it was gusting up to about three gazillion MPH. I 80 is a fantastic highway, and SD is a beautiful state IMO but I gotta' say, the ride through, three times out of four total, was truly awful.

Brian

Reminds me of my trip out to Salt Lake City in 2000 to take a job. Had just bought a new car and driving through Wyoming, I had the wheel cranked over to about 2 o'clock. Thought something was wrong with the steering/suspension. Nope, it was the damned wind.  :yikes:
2012 C14 Arabian Candy Red
2003 Honda 919
1981 Suzuki 650E
1965 Honda S90

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2193 on: December 16, 2015, 04:54:52 PM »
Way more than normal military activity around AP Hill, VA.   Lots of aircraft.  Lots of booming to the point I thought it might be another earth quake.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #2194 on: December 16, 2015, 06:39:36 PM »
Way more than normal military activity around AP Hill, VA.   Lots of aircraft.  Lots of booming to the point I thought it might be another earth quake.

Rotary or fixed?

Offline Sgt Mac

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2196 on: December 16, 2015, 08:07:18 PM »
Rotary or fixed?

They don't do much fixed around here, more rotary.  I've seen a bunch of Marine V-22 Osprey's as well.  It's entirely possible some of those exercises I'm hearing is part of that US-RAF-French goings on but it's not jets I'm hearing.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #2197 on: December 17, 2015, 11:10:17 AM »
I have to admit it- this would not have occurred to me but is pretty slick (pun intended).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZSmjxBLIc

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2198 on: December 17, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »
I have to admit it- this would not have occurred to me but is pretty slick (pun intended).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASZSmjxBLIc

Brian

He needs a longer bar...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2199 on: December 17, 2015, 12:40:57 PM »
Yeah.  I don't think I could bend down for more than a few seconds at best.