Author Topic: Significant heat wave likely next week.  (Read 22955 times)

Offline okxd45

Re: Significant heat wave likely next week.
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2011, 12:03:33 PM »
How'd the interview go? Good luck with it.

Thanks, it went very well!  Looks like we will be moving in September.  The job will entail working alot of hours, but very rewarding.  And besides that, the "signifcant heat waves" will be few and far between!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline WhiZR

« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2011, 01:43:24 PM »
During 2011, the Seattle area has had just 78 minutes of summer which a meterologist defined as the amount of time the temp was 80F and above. And if the calculation is based on amount of time the temp has been at or above 75 the answer is....18 hrs and 48 minutes, woohoo!!! :-\
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/dannywestneat/2015663852_danny20.html
On the bright side, moto riding has been great with cooler temps and minimal rain.   ;)
And during the summer if we want heat and dry wind we head over the Cascades to eastern WA about 90 minutes away from Seattle.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2011, 02:24:44 PM »
During 2011, the Seattle area has had just 78 minutes of summer which a meterologist defined as the amount of time the temp was 80F and above. And if the calculation is based on amount of time the temp has been at or above 75 the answer is....18 hrs and 48 minutes, woohoo!!! :-\
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/dannywestneat/2015663852_danny20.html
On the bright side, moto riding has been great with cooler temps and minimal rain.   ;)
And during the summer if we want heat and dry wind we head over the Cascades to eastern WA about 90 minutes away from Seattle.

SSShhhhh, dont tell anyone, it rains everyday, we have 2 very large active volcanos (Mt Rainer and St Helens), and live in constant fear of a major lahar!   Nothing to see, move on 8)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »
Yeah, that's me a fair weather rider.   8)  I have to be near Chicago this afternoon, if it wasn't for the stop and go traffic that I know I'm going to hit on the way back, I would have ridden the bike. I didn't relish the thought of sitting at all those stop lights with the fans kicking on while I bake in my jacket and helmet.

I can't speak for the rest of the guys but I stay here cuz it's where my job and my family are. I love the changing of the seasons and in the winter, it's time to get the sleds out!

Warming up nicely out there, 92 with an index of 105. Rather balmy.

Bring on the fall!

I didn't think the 08's had a heat problem......   :stirpot:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2011, 03:21:16 PM »
SSShhhhh, dont tell anyone, it rains everyday, we have 2 very large active volcanos (Mt Rainer and St Helens), and live in constant fear of a major lahar!   Nothing to see, move on 8)

+1... the PNW is a dump, stay away!! (especially if you're from California...  ;D )

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »
It was terrible hot today, I think it hit low 70's!  I had to figure out how to open my jacket vents.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Son of Pappy

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 10:03:41 PM »
Hit 72, had to figure how to open the vents on my helmet.  Man, I can't wait for cooler temps, I may have to cage it tomorow 8)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 05:33:34 AM »
I didn't think the 08's had a heat problem......   :stirpot:

Ha! When it's 101 and the relative humidity is 65% and your sitting at a stop light, they ALL have a heat problem.  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 05:34:19 AM »
Hit 72, had to figure how to open the vents on my helmet.  Man, I can't wait for cooler temps, I may have to cage it tomorow 8)

Why, I aughta...

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 05:41:21 AM »
Here in Saint Joseph MI we usally don't get it as hot due in part to cooling winds from Lake MI but dang if it ain't HOT up here. It was still 93 degree F at 21:00 (9:PM) last night. Supposed to have another day of the same. I went out to the garage early yesterday to do a little tinker work on a couple of my guns so mind you I'm just standing at the workbench (with a big fan) and I can feel the sweat beading un and rolling down; too dam hot to enjoy myself.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 06:25:11 AM »
Its almost like AC right now (7:24am), light rain, 79*, 89% humidity, and and a nice low dew point of 75*
I cant wait till later when the sun comes out and the humidity climbs to almost 100%  :(
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline okxd45

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 08:31:14 AM »
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 09:10:56 AM »
Why, I aughta...kick yer arse!!
Finished it fer ya ;)

chilly 59 this morning, almost broke out the gerbings, chose a fluffy liner instead.  Also closed the vents. 8)  If we see anything above 68 today it'll be a miracle.  By chance, have any of you tried the evapo vests?  They work as advertised, or better.  Have a cold glass of water or tea on me, I'll drink a hot coffee for you.  I can't wait till this winter when y'all start talking about winterizing yer bikes!

Here's to cooler weather for those of you who aint as fortunate as me,

Offline Conrad

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 09:40:13 AM »
Finished it fer ya ;)

chilly 59 this morning, almost broke out the gerbings, chose a fluffy liner instead.  Also closed the vents. 8)  If we see anything above 68 today it'll be a miracle.  By chance, have any of you tried the evapo vests?  They work as advertised, or better.  Have a cold glass of water or tea on me, I'll drink a hot coffee for you.  I can't wait till this winter when y'all start talking about winterizing yer bikes!

Here's to cooler weather for those of you who aint as fortunate as me,

:'(

I'm about ready to buy one of those evap vests!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2011, 12:28:07 PM »
Thanks, it went very well!  Looks like we will be moving in September.  The job will entail working alot of hours, but very rewarding.  And besides that, the "signifcant heat waves" will be few and far between!

Well done and congrats!

Offline okxd45

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2011, 01:14:38 PM »
:'(

I'm about ready to buy one of those evap vests!

I did the wet t-shirt trick last drill and it felt great for about 30 mins, but after that it was dry again!  The evap vests would definitely work here in OK with 15% humidity.  But alas, I am moving to PA.........woo hoo! 8)
Jeff

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »
Thank God our bikes spit in the face of extreme heat.  I run mine through the Sonoran desert without issue. Mostly at idle speed. My ADV bike was at home, and like not having the right tool fopr the job i had to do the best i could  8)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »
Thank God our bikes spit in the face of extreme heat.  I run mine through the Sonoran desert without issue. Mostly at idle speed. My ADV bike was at home, and like not having the right tool fopr the job i had to do the best i could  8)

Spit? You sure that wasn't some kinda leak Steve?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »
Steve couldnt handle our currently 60.1 and %100 humidity we have!  I guess I shouldnt have worn the mesh gear today :(

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2011, 02:40:23 PM »
Steve couldnt handle our currently 60.1 and %100 humidity we have!  I guess I shouldnt have worn the mesh gear today :(

In the past few weeks I've been in the desert tundra, snow of the rockies, and yesterday a 807 mile ride to the heat heat and humidity of Key West, Fl. southern most point in USA and 100% humidity with no rain.

naw...   my bike and I can't handle the elements
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine