Author Topic: Self healing fuel leak  (Read 3923 times)

Offline dagofast

Self healing fuel leak
« on: October 27, 2015, 05:16:36 PM »
I have a question for the all wise and knowing denizens here. Our temps here in Arizona have finally dropped under blazing to merely hot so I disconnected the battery tender and fired my old 2003 Connie up. About a minute later I noticed gas dripping out of the belly fairing. This happened once before after an extended period of non-use due to caring for an aging parent. When it was stored the first time all fuel was drained from the tank and carbs and fogging oil sprayed in the tank and cylinders. This time I used StaBil in the gas and ran it down to about 1 gallon before parking it for the hot months. This time the bike hasn't been started in about 60 days. Both times, the fuel leak has stopped on it's own by the time I can remove the seat & tank. (It isn't a stuck float or a leaking petcock. I checked all those things first)

Today I stuck my face all around the open nooks and crannies while it was still leaking and it appears the fuel was dripping between the 3rd and 4th (far right) carbs. When I look on Ron Ayers parts fiche, there are short tubes with small O-rings on each end that connect each outboard carb together and the fuel line connects between #2 & #3. I believe the O-ring on carb #4 is leaking as I usually park on the side stand and it is probably drying out. And then "swelling" back up after a bit when again awash in gasoline. The question I have is: Is it possible to replace these without removing the carb assembly from the engine? Or can it be done with the carbs on the bike?

Dreading the answer, as I think it will entail removing the whole rack.

Offline Summit670

Re: Self healing fuel leak
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 05:31:56 PM »
You have to remove the whole rack.  It isnt as bad as you think.

Personally, i prefer to disconnect the throttle cables at the throttle and take them out along with carbs. 
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 05:55:50 AM »
If it's only happening the first time it's fired up after a long period of non use, I would guess that it's a float that's not sealing up right away and that one carb is overflowing.

I've never heard of an o-ring that's leaking, swelling up and stopping a leak in only a minute or so.

I can tell you from experience that if it's a fuel rail o-ring that your describing as your suspected leak, that it will only leak a very small amount of gas and it will get worse over time, not better.

If it's not happening every time you start it after the first time, I wouldn't worry about it to much, but you should do some research on this site related to hydrolock and overflow tubes.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 07:28:42 AM »
This thread was a let down. Military aircraft have had self sealing fuel tanks since WWII. I thought someone was adapting this technology to a motorcycle and I was wondering if you were anticipating getting shot at.  ;D

Offline dagofast

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 10:06:53 PM »
Turbo, It takes more than a minute. Probably about 5 for the leak to quit. There is nothing coming out the airbox so I don't think it is flooding. It runs and idles fine, nothing to indicate the carb is malfunctioning. I'm not sure why the site is showing I have such a low post count, I joined up here in 2003 or so. I am aware of all the hydrolock issues and various repairs to prevent them from Pingel's petcocks to overflow tubes.

Gonna try to ride it more and see what transpires. It's been a wonderful bike and I love her but the older I get and the more arthritic I get, the more I start thinking it might be time to let her go. It ain't getting any lighter or buzzing any less. And I spent 40 years spinning wrenches. I've fixed enough stuff to last me 10 lifetimes and with my achy joints I just don't enjoy working on stuff much anymore. That new 650LT Versys is starting to tempt me. I shouldn't have ridden it at the last bike show!

And Rhino, I hope no one is planning on taking pot shots at me, but there have been a rash of freeway shootings in Phoenix over the last 3 months.  :o

Thanks for all of the replies!

Offline dagofast

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 10:33:13 AM »
It rained on Thursday & Friday so my son and I got our ride in on Saturday. We did a nice little 260 mile loop and had everything from some chilly early morning fog in a canyon to high 80's by the end of the ride. He had to be at work by 12:45 so there was a bit of a sprint at one point to get back in time. His little Ninja 500R is no slouch, it is much friskier than his moms old Zook GS500F ever was! My old Connie ran like a dream. I'd put a dash of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank before we left just out of curiosity. It might have helped it run smoother or just be my imagination, but it sure didn't hurt a thing. Still, my hands were buzzing until Sunday. And yet this bike makes you fall in love with it every time you throw a leg over. But then again, so does my old KLR. Maybe you can never have too many Kawasaki's?