Author Topic: Mad Max in NYC  (Read 8597 times)

Offline Toxz Qwaste

• Arena
  • stuff & things

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Mad Max in NYC
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
 :yikes: HOLY $HIT!!! Sure wish he hadn't run over one biker but he was legitimately in fear of his life and with the family in the car I don't blame him.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »
That story was all over the place.  This is another case of not knowing what really happened.  I sure wish we had the entire video that starts with why the biker placed himself in front of the SUV at the start of the video.  Surely the passenger/wife called 911 during the incident, I sure hope so.  I also hope some of the bikers called.  Kinda funny how one bit claims the only injury was the driver, just after commenting on a biker having a broke leg, or 3 bikes hit, one rider.  Which time?  This story line as written actually has me leaning to the bikers side and a writer who dislikes bikers.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 03:06:27 PM »
Holy **** is right! People can be SO damned stupid!

Those bikers who tried to pull the diver from the SUV and the one who smashed the driver's window with his helmet are VERY lucky that the driver didn't have a gun. The dude smashing the window should have been shot!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 03:06:52 PM »
As someone who had a bunch of idiots try something similar on me with high noise making combustion engines, with wife and child in the truck, it isn't a nice feeling. I on one hand wouldn't have wanted to run one of them over, but I wasn't about to let a single one of them touch me or my family. They were total idiots trying what they did, blocking all lanes of traffic, and riding on the shoulders so nobody could pass... and slamming on their brakes in front of my truck... they thought it was pretty funny... My daughter crying her eyes out.  It wasn't till they saw me on my cellphone with CSP that their stupidity ended.

All of this because I wouldn't slam on my brakes to let one of the idiots slide over into my lane because he pointed his finger at me to stop?!?!  :o  You can wait and go behind me, where there is space and nobody has to put their brakes on to let you in.  That didn't sit well with the pack of animals... 
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:15:47 PM »
It all hinges on what happened at the scene when he hit the bike. "Sources said Lien stopped, but “feared for his safety” as several of the bickering bikers began to damage his SUV." If it actually became an unruly mob I don't blame him for taking off, especially with the family in the car. If on the other hand, the bikers were not physically threatening, then hitting a biker breaking his leg and running over 3 bikes would be unacceptable. I agree with Silverdammit that who ever wrote the article is vehemently anti biker. But it is really easy for me to believe a mob mentality could have occurred and that can get dangerous quickly. 

Son of Pappy

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 03:17:34 PM »
+10

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 03:49:54 PM »
Don't see it as being much different than a flash mob beating people on the street. Need some manners taught. Learn how to live in a polite society. Right or wrong this guy feared for his family.
I lived through young and stupid and have very little tolerance for it now.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 03:54:01 PM »
There's just nothing good about any of that situation...  :(

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »
That story was all over the place.  This is another case of not knowing what really happened.  I sure wish we had the entire video that starts with why the biker placed himself in front of the SUV at the start of the video.  Surely the passenger/wife called 911 during the incident, I sure hope so.  I also hope some of the bikers called.  Kinda funny how one bit claims the only injury was the driver, just after commenting on a biker having a broke leg, or 3 bikes hit, one rider.  Which time?  This story line as written actually has me leaning to the bikers side and a writer who dislikes bikers.

+1 this case has been "tried" on the internetz all day, trillions of times over.

I'll be glad to hear the outcome once it goes through the judicial system too.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »
"The commissioner said police were monitoring the ride " Doesn't seem they were 'monitoring' it very closely.

Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 08:52:16 PM »
"The commissioner said police were monitoring the ride " Doesn't seem they were 'monitoring' it very closely.
Maybe it was an undercover officer who got hit?  Looks like some LA PD tactics were in use at the end :o

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 09:03:57 PM »
I like most here, am usually on the side of the biker.  As stated before, the SUV dude might be guilty as !#@.  But, there are a whole bunch of bikers that are in trouble now.
I'm pretty sure I know what most of us would have done had we been in our car with our wife and 2 yr old daughter and been surrounded by those 100 bikers.....

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 09:15:10 PM »
+1
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 09:20:39 AM »
It seems that one of the knuckleheads has been arrested.

NEW YORK (AP) — A man driving with his family along a New York City highway was attacked by a group of motorcyclists who chased his SUV for more than 50 blocks after it bumped into one of the bikes, which had stopped suddenly, police said.

The assault on the 33-year-old man began around 1:30 p.m. Sunday on the West Side Highway after he got into an accident with one of the bikers around 125th Street. After the driver and motorcyclist pulled over, they were quickly surrounded by 20 to 30 bikers who began damaging the victim's Range Rover, police said.

The driver, who was traveling with his wife and toddler, struck two other bikers while fleeing, police said. The other bikers gave chase, pursuing him for about 2 1/2 miles, and again surrounded the vehicle. They pulled the man from the SUV and beat him, police said.

The man was taken to a hospital where he required stitches to his face. His wife and child were not injured. The man was not charged.

On Tuesday, police arrested the biker who was involved in the initial accident. Christopher Cruz, 28, was charged with reckless endangerment, reckless driving, endangering the welfare of a child and menacing. He was not injured in the accident.

Police said another biker suffered two broken legs after the SUV ran over him. A second biker suffered a leg injury.

Police believe some of the bikers belong to a gang known as Hollywood Stuntz. They said the motorcyclists were part of a planned but unauthorized event in which hundreds of riders gathered outside of Manhattan, with the intent of driving into Times Square en masse.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 10:08:23 AM »
I'm amazed at the 'slant' some of the writers take in their retelling of 'the event'.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-videos/motorcyclist-paralysed-after-range-rover-ploughed-through-riders-at-a-rally/23643.html

Read some of the comments. It really makes me wonder if some of those people even watched the video before shooting off their mouths.

Calling the illegal group ride a 'rally' attempts to lend a bit of legitimacy to it but falls WAY short.   
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:44:14 AM by Conrad »

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 10:20:20 AM »
What a tragedy. After watching it closely again I absolutely believe the initial bump was the riders fault. He cuts in front by inches, goes ahead 20 feet or so, looks left away from the Range Rover and brakes. Here's what I suspect (read WAG) happened after that. The Range Rover clearly stopped but instead of getting out of the car with the usual "are you OK?", "let's exchange info..." he finds himself surrounded by bikers very quickly. So he is way too intimidated to get out of the car. This makes the bikers angry and they start rocking the car. He panics and flees. Now someone is paralyzed.

I'm sure many sheeple are crying "something has to be done!" and there are many brainless legislators more than willing to "do something". None of it good for bikers.

Offline RubiconMike

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »
Like everyone else on the internet, I wasn't there and I don't know what really happened. It's easy to speculate when you only have half the information, but the results are often not correct. Since the local police have an obvious bias against the motorcyclists, it's unlikely we'll ever find out the true facts.

What I do find interesting is that the "mob" only beat the driver. Despite all the media hype about the driver fearing for his wife and daughter, the "mob" didn't harm them. They only beat the driver who ran over one of their friends and several of their bikes. Imagine you're out for a ride with a bunch of your friends, and someone hit one of them, then ran over another and several bikes while running away. What would you do?

Another interesting thing is that the story seems to start with one of the bikers pulling in front of the Range Rover and hitting the brakes, causing the RR to hit him. How many of you have pulled in front of a car and hit the brakes for no reason? Makes me wonder what the RR driver did before the bike pulled in front?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 11:08:01 AM »
Like everyone else on the internet, I wasn't there and I don't know what really happened. It's easy to speculate when you only have half the information, but the results are often not correct. Since the local police have an obvious bias against the motorcyclists, it's unlikely we'll ever find out the true facts.

What I do find interesting is that the "mob" only beat the driver. Despite all the media hype about the driver fearing for his wife and daughter, the "mob" didn't harm them. They only beat the driver who ran over one of their friends and several of their bikes. Imagine you're out for a ride with a bunch of your friends, and someone hit one of them, then ran over another and several bikes while running away. What would you do?

Another interesting thing is that the story seems to start with one of the bikers pulling in front of the Range Rover and hitting the brakes, causing the RR to hit him. How many of you have pulled in front of a car and hit the brakes for no reason? Makes me wonder what the RR driver did before the bike pulled in front?

It doesn't matter what the RR driver did (up to a point) before the rider pulled in front of him and hit the brakes. If I was to pull in front of a SUV while riding my bike and hit the brakes I KNOW what is going to happen, I'm going to get hit. Who in their right mind does that? I'm going to hazard a guess and say that these idiots on bikes were out looking for trouble and they found it.

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »

wow, don't hardly know how to respond.
It doesn't really matter what happened before the video started.  Maybe the SUV driver was an idiot.  Not relevant.  You (and 30 or your friends) cannot chase someone down, force your way into their vehicle, drag them out of their vehicle and then beat them half to death.  In the interest of full disclosure, I have wanted to do that to someone before, more than one someone.  However, I know that would be illegal and I would quite possibly end up in jail.  Vigilante justice is illegal in the country.