Author Topic: Are All Balls Wheel Bearings quality parts?  (Read 18953 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Are All Balls Wheel Bearings quality parts?
« on: February 08, 2012, 06:44:00 AM »
I am replacing the wheel bearings on my C14 since I am taking them out to get the wheels powdercoated.  I will probably get OEM bearings, but wanted to make sure that All Balls bearings weren't just as good.  They are cheaper but if they aren't built as well I will probably just go ahead and pay a little more for the Kwak bearings.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline philipintexas

• Phils Farkels
Re: Are All Balls Wheel Bearings quality parts?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 07:13:25 AM »
They are a very popular upgrade often mentioned on the Gold-wing site. Also for steering-head bearings.
Need a better luggage rack?  www.philsfarkels.com

Offline tthompsr

• 2009 Black Concours
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 07:44:41 AM »
I've used both their wheel bearings and steering head bearings, found both to be good quality products that never gave me a problem after installation!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 08:06:36 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I found some mixed reviews on the web but for the most part they seem to be a high quality replacement.  I ordered everything for $35 shipped.  It would have cost well over double to get the Kwak bearings and seals.  I will make sure I post up my thoughts after installation and also after a couple months of use.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:12:32 AM »
And a link to where you order them would be nice.  ;D
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline strester

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 08:23:40 AM »
I changed my front on 2/6/12. I got they bearings from my dealer, but they did not order my oem. They were parted for KTM... I was little worried.. I questions the dealer serveral times and they were sure it was the right ones.

The old ones did not feel to bad and were a B*&ch to get out. Hammer and Drift. The new ones went in with out issues and the front it night and day.

Very limited experience with this but would think most would be good. It may be one of those things that are made by only few places and sold to company to put their names on.
All that is needed for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing....Edmund Burke
(2008 c14 silver)

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
Jeremy,

Yes.  Just ordered some for my '88.
'02 C-10

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 08:35:04 AM »

Very limited experience with this but would think most would be good. It may be one of those things that are made by only few places and sold to company to put their names on.

That was what I was thinking also, kinda like vehicle batteries here in the US.

Offline ridg219

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 05:49:27 PM »
I have used them for wheel bearing kits and rear suspension linkage kits on dirt bikes great quality and a lot less expensive than oem, I agree with Jeremy Mithell they are made by only a few and sold to companies to put their names on.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 05:54:59 PM »
I've used them in several dirt bikes without an issue.  There have been issues caused by a good friends 4000psi power washer, but nothing the bearing itself could have prevented.  I always repack them when I get them, but the same goes for oem bearings too.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »
I put them in my VFR at 55,000 when the OEMS wore out. Now have 127,000 on the VFR and the All Balls are still fine. I also have tapered rollers in the steering head but only  recent install.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline roadPilot

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »
Have used many a set on all my VFR's without issue. Will no doubtedly use them on the Connie when needed.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 07:59:03 PM »
My stock bearings were all in excellent shape (2008 with 42,xxx miles) I am sure they could have made it to at least 70,000+.  It is almost a shame to throw them away.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »
I have only seen a few sets of All Balls bearings but no, they are not the quality part that you would get from a regular bearing mfg. or OEM. They are working fine in my steering head but that is a very low speed use although wheel bearings are also relatively low speed.

You can save a few dollars and still get the same quality by buying the bearings at a bearing supply house. Bearings are normally standard sizes as are seals and any bearing house will be able to get them even if they do not have them in stock. Unfortunately the Kawasaki part number won't work and you will need the actual bearing measurement. A larger bearing house will match the bearing(s) and seal(s) you bring them though so as long as you can wait a few days that might be a good option.

Brian

I am replacing the wheel bearings on my C14 since I am taking them out to get the wheels powdercoated.  I will probably get OEM bearings, but wanted to make sure that All Balls bearings weren't just as good.  They are cheaper but if they aren't built as well I will probably just go ahead and pay a little more for the Kwak bearings.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Arata

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 02:25:37 PM »
What country are they made in?

I've used their fork and dust seals on my ZRX with no issues.

Never used their bearings.
2014 V Strom 1000
2008 C14
2004 ZRX1200R
1993 GSXR 1100