Author Topic: Almost lost the Givi today  (Read 2207 times)

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Almost lost the Givi today
« on: May 25, 2011, 07:46:08 PM »
While spraying some wax on things (nonstop rain lately), the V46 moved around. WTF?

Looked at the mounting pin (the triangular thing) and discovered it was barely hanging on by one screw and a few threads.

This is a Premier rack with their mount kit and the mounting pin screws in place. Well, it got itself unscrewed. Would've hated to have $300 worth of top case go flying pass me on the Interstate!

I added new screws and some blue Loctite, but will be keeping an eye on this. You got a similar setup, might want to check it now and then.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Re: Almost lost the Givi today
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 08:13:26 PM »
I doubt it would be passing you on the interstate, so at least you can feel better about that....

Make sure bolts and screws and nuts are all tight. I have never had anything come off a bike, but I did have a nut come off and the screw almost came out, but I happened to stop (I missed the turn on a group ride when no other riders were around me and I figured I was lost). It was for the clutch lever and was the pivot bolt....  Would have been really bad to loose that one...
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Bob

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 02:37:48 AM »
No it probably would have been more like it deciding to get off the bike and take the bus instead without telling you. All because you ride to fast and you scared it!  ;D

Actually your lucky you caught this.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 06:24:01 AM »
While spraying some wax on things (nonstop rain lately), the V46 moved around. WTF?

Looked at the mounting pin (the triangular thing) and discovered it was barely hanging on by one screw and a few threads.

This is a Premier rack with their mount kit and the mounting pin screws in place. Well, it got itself unscrewed. Would've hated to have $300 worth of top case go flying pass me on the Interstate!

I added new screws and some blue Loctite, but will be keeping an eye on this. You got a similar setup, might want to check it now and then.

good catch
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 07:20:41 AM »
Glad you caught it.