Author Topic: NHTSA Recall Notice [rear brake]  (Read 61289 times)

Offline MrPepsi

Re: NHTSA Recall Notice for 2008-2012 Concours 14
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2012, 10:46:19 AM »
Recall work completed. Took it to Mission Cycles in Daly City, and the work was finished while I waited. About 30 minutes. Spotted a 2010 while I was there.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Joncon11

« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2012, 07:46:30 PM »
I just got mine done today. My dealer had the part for one C14 on the sales floor. He said he saved it for me because I was the only one who has bought one snice the redesign. It took about a half hour to complete.

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2012, 05:36:50 AM »
Got a letter dated 9 August for my Jan 2012 - going in next week for the recall, service and new rubber.
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline silvermane

« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2012, 07:10:06 AM »
I rec'd my recall letter back in July.  Contacted the dealer immediately for my '11 and they said they'd add me to their list of thousands.  They said it'd be months.  They are a Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha dealer.  Hopefully they go by how critical to safety the recall is :/
'11 Silver Concours, '04 Aprilia Futura, '93 Goldwing, '97 750 Nighthawk

Offline crawfcj

« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2013, 11:23:23 AM »
On November 27, I took the documentation in to my dealer to order the part.  Dealer thought it would take a week or so and would call me as soon as it came in.  I watched as he loaded the VIN info and the part request into the computer.

Yesterday, January 5, I visited the dealer to see if he had forgotten to call me.  He looked it up, and no part had arrived.  H even showed me the computer screen where the part had been ordered from Kawasaki back in November.

I have to say, that with the urgency expressed in the letter and postcard, using words like "serious injury and death," it's a little disappointing that it continues to take a very long time to receive the necessary parts for a recall.
Charlie

2011 Concours 14, 2012 BMW R1200RT, 2004 BMW R1150RS

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
It's a good thing you didn't leave the bike.  ;)

Offline ugocon

« Reply #106 on: January 07, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »
On November 27, I took the documentation in to my dealer to order the part.  Dealer thought it would take a week or so and would call me as soon as it came in.  I watched as he loaded the VIN info and the part request into the computer.

Yesterday, January 5, I visited the dealer to see if he had forgotten to call me.  He looked it up, and no part had arrived.  H even showed me the computer screen where the part had been ordered from Kawasaki back in November.

I have to say, that with the urgency expressed in the letter and postcard, using words like "serious injury and death," it's a little disappointing that it continues to take a very long time to receive the necessary parts for a recall.

That's strange...

My parts arrived BEFORE the official mail, right after I received a preliminary SMS from Kawasaki.
I had to let the parts wait long at the dealer because of MY holidays... not dealer's!

I think that after the first rush of parts sent they may have now run out of parts for late appointments.
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Toaster

« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2013, 12:12:14 PM »
I have a question about recalls.
I imported my 09 C14 new from a dealer in the US (since has gone out of business after 34 years). I know I have NO warranty, but is Kawasaki obligated to do recalls on my bike, and can I have it done in Canada or do I need to take it to a US dealer?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »
Try asking your local dealer.  Have no idea about a US bike in Canada.  If Kwak US is aware of the bike as a US bike then I would get the work done in the US.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline yubee

« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2013, 04:05:23 PM »
Is it possible to place an order for this repair kit myself ? If yes, any links please ?

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2013, 04:35:32 PM »
Factory recall. Dealer only.

Offline yubee

« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2013, 01:01:37 AM »
 :( ooops, I'm curently working on Ghana and just got my bike shipped out to me. No dealers around

Offline yubee

« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2013, 06:20:43 AM »
Okay, I did a search for a 2013 C14 Brake Pedal and Master Cylinder Parts - Same with the Repair Kit.
So I placed an order from www.kawasakioemparts.com .
Will replace parts myself when they arrive.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2013, 06:30:58 AM »
Okay, I did a search for a 2013 C14 Brake Pedal and Master Cylinder Parts - Same with the Repair Kit.
So I placed an order from www.kawasakioemparts.com .
Will replace parts myself when they arrive.
Good. I wasn't aware Kaw made them available.

Offline Wayne

« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2015, 01:25:59 PM »
Since the Good Times warranty was transferable I did so. On the day I get the paperwork I get subject recall Notice. I'm assuming this is old news given this particular recall originated in 2012. I call the dealer and service says "drop the bike off and leave it here, probably 2-3 days we don't have the parts" The notice says it takes 30 minutes for the fix? I suggest ordering the part and they won't since "they're liable if I have an accident while the parts are on order"  Sounds like debris can get trapped between the pedal and pedal cover causing brake drag and overheating. My question is how pervasive was/is this issue? This service person's attitude and tone wouldn't have won him any customer service awards. That being said, if this particular issue is really a big problem then I'll deal with the poor attitude and inconvenience.
As always thanks for the counsel...
2004 BMW KGT1200  Sold 2001 HD Low Rider    Sold
2004 BMW 1150RT    Sold
2002 HD Road King   Sold
2002 Kawasaki ZZR   Sold

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2015, 01:32:38 PM »
This is the second recall on the rear brake linkage on the C-14 (same exact parts being replaced too).

It has happened a few times on the original bikes but I have not heard of any jams with the updated linkage (the first recall). That said, obviously there was a problem or they would not have done the second recall. Those that did have issues usually had the caliper lock onto the rotor and not let go.... until the rotor turned blue, the pads were wiped out and in some cases, the caliper was a little chewed up. A few bikes had the axle get so hot it changed color and the rear bearing on the rt. side got pretty hot as well.

Some dealers will not order the parts until a customer drops the bike off, some will. Sounds like yours will not, and while not very helpful, they can make that a requirement if they choose to do so. A good dealer will order the parts, and then put them on the bike while you wait (takes about 5 minutes) but not everyone has one of those dealers nearby unfortunately.

Brian

Since the Good Times warranty was transferable I did so. On the day I get the paperwork I get subject recall Notice. I'm assuming this is old news given this particular recall originated in 2012. I call the dealer and service says "drop the bike off and leave it here, probably 2-3 days we don't have the parts" The notice says it takes 30 minutes for the fix? I suggest ordering the part and they won't since "they're liable if I have an accident while the parts are on order"  Sounds like debris can get trapped between the pedal and pedal cover causing brake drag and overheating. My question is how pervasive was/is this issue? This service person's attitude and tone wouldn't have won him any customer service awards. That being said, if this particular issue is really a big problem then I'll deal with the poor attitude and inconvenience.
As always thanks for the counsel...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mntbiker-junkie

« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2015, 02:39:01 PM »
Brian- I had the original recall done on my 08 C14 a few years ago.  For clarification, are they again doing the recall to refix brake issue and I need to take it in again for the repair? 
Thanks, Tony

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2015, 03:11:59 PM »
There are two recalls out for the rear brake.  The first didn't work.  The second one did better.

Put in your VIN here to make sure.

http://www.kawasaki.com/OwnerSupport/RecallSearch
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2015, 03:13:32 PM »
There have been two separate recalls on the rear brake linkage, both on the exact same parts. So if your bike needed the recall service done and it had not had the first recall done, doing the second one would clear both recalls at once.

The only way to 'clear' a bike regarding a recall(s) is to have a dealer install the recall parts / change. So Kawaskai has a very good record of which vehicles have outstanding recalls- they go by the vehicle number (VIN). You can check with any Kawasaki dealer by giving then the VIN and they will tell you if 'your bike is up do date with its shots' or not.  ;D

Brian

Brian- I had the original recall done on my 08 C14 a few years ago.  For clarification, are they again doing the recall to refix brake issue and I need to take it in again for the repair? 
Thanks, Tony
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »
Jim's answer is better than mine and includes a cool, interactive hyperlink. But I have the market cornered on dessicated rodents so let's call it a wash....

:-)

Brian

There are two recalls out for the rear brake.  The first didn't work.  The second one did better.

Put in your VIN here to make sure.

http://www.kawasaki.com/OwnerSupport/RecallSearch