Author Topic: hydration ready tank bag  (Read 10429 times)

Offline sas mayhem

Re: hydration ready tank bag
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 02:30:32 AM »
Mayhem,

I just got my bag last friday. Havent taken it out on a ride yet but I can't wait to try it out. Texas heat is crazy. Saturday we had 93 degrees with 75% humidity so you can imagine how much water you NEED to drink in order to ride comfortably and avoid heat stroke. Anyways, I went out to take some pictures for you. Here they are. I already had a bladder for a hydration back pack that I've had for about 2 years from wal mart. works great and the bladder itself is cheaper than the one recon sells.

In the last picture I have a half helmet. It does close a little tight but at least it gives you an idea of the storage capacity available. Let me know if you have any questions. Oh, the magnets are pretty powerful as well. It does come with a built in rain cover which hides away easily in a hidden zipper pocket in the front. Very nice bag IMHO for a good price.

That looks very nice Texanrider,  :thumbs:  I'm going to get a water pack at Wally World and incorporate it in my tank bag.

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline toojeep4u

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 07:17:04 PM »
I still dont see how the mouthpiece woul work in a full face helmet.  I dont think I would have enough room to put the valve in my mouth without lifting the front up.
Tori '01

Offline dvitous

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »
I got that exact same bag.

I use a camelback bladder with a 90-degree mouthpiece.  It just barely fits in under my Nolan N103 with the chinbar down.

I'm used to warm water bottles from the other kinda cycling, so thats not a big deal.  When you're thirsty, you're thirsty.

I found myself not hitting it as much as I expected to - it's a nice-to-have, but I've never come anywhere near close to draining it.  Usually theres a gas or rest stop where a cold beverage can be purchased.

Another drawback is the amount of space the bladder takes up.  And it's a "bubble" - so it doesnt sit flat.  Also beware of putting a cold/frozen bladder in there... it'll sweat!
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 01:25:47 PM »
You can pick up the 90 degree valve at REI, BassPro, or Dick's Sporting Goods. Seal it to the end of the tube with a little Goop so it won't slide off and dump your water. The bite valves are good until they start leaking then it's a good time to put the 90 on.

I use a vinyl coated MSR bladder with this set up when I backpack and it's tough. Also, if you get the bladder with the same size mouth as the Nalgene bottles, they will screw onto a water filter and you can reach into them with a bottle brush to scrub. Rinse with a little chlorox solution (dilute pretty good with water) after use and let them air dry with the valve open and you will have better tasting water the next time you use it.
2014 C-14 Red

Offline Pro Recreator

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 06:28:39 AM »
I've also had luck "preparing" my water bladder for the ride by keeping it in the fridge the night before.  I find my 2L bag in my TourMaster tank bag (has some modest insulation intended to retain the bags shape) keeps cool for most of the day.  Frequently the hose sitting outside the tank bag will have warm water in it but if I drink enough I can get to the cool water.  It doesn't hurt to drink a little more to get to the cool stuff.  I need to make (or buy) an insulated sleeve for the hose to help keep it from absorbing heat.

Offline Tele130

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 07:55:07 AM »
I too have the Rapid Transit Recon 19 bag.  Haven't used it yet.  I though it would be a great bag for X-Country trips.  After reading this thread, I'm thinking of getting a piece of that pink Corning Insulation (it's like 1/4 thick) and trim it to fit under the bladder.  Might help keep the rising heat at bay a while?
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!