Author Topic: Found an easy way to test the front TPS sensor on a C-14 without riding it  (Read 1583 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Or even having the bead seated on one side.

If a sensor battery is changed, using the 'on the bike' method of sensor R&R, it has always been tough to test the front sensor without completely buttoning up the front wheel and tire and taking the bike for a ride. The rear sensor is easy 'cause the engine makes that one go around, even in a garage (on the center stand).

But a cordless drill with a paint stripper chucked in it does a wonderful job of spinning up the front tire, easily fast enough to trip the sensor ON circuit and verify that it is working. And this can be done with the one bead un- seated but also with the wooden blocks still in place so it is really easy if it needs to be removed again. No damage to the front tire and no rubber particles on the floor afterward either so the paint remover does not damage the tire. All in all, it works very well.

We did a bunch of them last weekend at a Tech Day. After a couple of people took their bikes out with new batteries in the TPS sensors, I happened to spot a cordless drill and gave it a try. I first tried it just by using the plastic drill chuck body to drive the tire but it does not turn fast enough and requires something with a larger diameter, hence the paint remover.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conniesaki

Good idea.

I'm not sure of the diameter you ended up determining works well, but alternatively to the paint stripper to reduce the chance of damage, maybe try a lawn mower wheel secured to a bolt thru it.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Can't you just spin it by hand?  I would think one could work it up to a good speed pretty easily, no?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Can't you just spin it by hand?  I would think one could work it up to a good speed pretty easily, no?

I've done it by hand, but not on the bike. I did it on the wheel balancer by hand next to the bike with tire seated and aired up. It seems to take longer to show up but I just let it continue to spin and it does show on the dash before the glove box latch buzzer starts buzzing.
However, Brian's method probably shows up faster, and most likely would be safer (to your hand) with blocks of wood still holding the bead open.

Offline Freddy

I tie a bit of string onto the sensor and give it a whirl.  It takes 60 seconds for the flat tyre warning to wake up and the display show 0 psi
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline B.D.F.

I have not had any success with that method. On the bike, the wheel and brakes have enough drag to prevent spinning easily, and you only have a short distance to grab onto the pheriphery of the wheel between the fender and the floor (or vice- versa).

But it will probably work in a tire balancer.

Still, I was merely providing an effortless method, using tools most everyone already has (a drill), that works 100% of the time. Not claiming it is the only way, merely that it is best, fastest and easiest way I have found to do this.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

And should the sensor need to be removed again, there is no need to break a bead or push the tire wall over because it is already there.

Brian

I've done it by hand, but not on the bike. I did it on the wheel balancer by hand next to the bike with tire seated and aired up. It seems to take longer to show up but I just let it continue to spin and it does show on the dash before the glove box latch buzzer starts buzzing.
However, Brian's method probably shows up faster, and most likely would be safer (to your hand) with blocks of wood still holding the bead open.

Offline Freddy

I have not had any success with that method.  snip>
Brian

The sensor should be correctly oriented when given a whirl, not upside down or on its side.  60 seconds seems a very long time when spinning it on a string - just when you think it ain't gunna work the red light comes on and 0 psi is displayed.

Offline mikeyw64

• Arena
I’m guessing from the string comment it doesn’t matter which way it spins.

Take two bikes on centre stands and rest front wheel of one against back wheel of the other .....................
--
space reserved for humourous sig file

Offline Freddy

I’m guessing from the string comment it doesn’t matter which way it spins.

Take two bikes on centre stands and rest front wheel of one against back wheel of the other .....................

This is true.