Author Topic: Brake Caliper Tool  (Read 2231 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

Brake Caliper Tool
« on: July 04, 2011, 12:11:44 PM »
I used a C clamp to push in the rear caliper to replace the pads.  Before I do the front, I'd like to buy a caliper tool just to make it a little easier.
Is this the right one?
http://www.amazon.com/OTC4743-Motorcycle-Brake-Caliper-Spreader/dp/B003CH8YYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1309803096&sr=8-1

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
Re: Brake Caliper Tool
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
save the money, the C clamp works, but truthfully if you need a clamp to accomplish the compression, you have hidden problems of a more serious nature that should have been addressed prior to compressing the piston....
With the cover off the master cylinder, finger pressure alone should be more than enough, but commonly folks tend not to clean the extended piston meticulously prior to that step, therefore they have contaminents being scrubbed during the compression, making the seals compromised, and in the least, contaminated and difficult to deal with.
Pay close attention to this step, and clean the piston well and you should see what I am saying.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 01:15:34 PM »
I cleaned the piston the best I could with brake cleaner and an old tooth brush.
The C clamp worked but it kept trying to work it's way off as I turned it in.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:44:28 PM by oldsmoboat »

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 01:39:40 PM »
That's a nice tool and will certainly work for you.

Depending on the miles and riding enviorment there will be the crud on the piston that MOB speaks of. At the brake clinics I've attended the mantra of finger pressure to push the piston in was spoken over and over. Besides the crud on the piston I've often found a build up of crud between the caliper body and the dust seal and piston seal.

My usual approach to motorcycle brake pad replacement is the  calipers removed from the bike, taken apart and the parts washed in hot soapy water. rinsed in hot water and a warm blow dryer to dry.
Then I use dental picks to clean the dust and piston seal grooves in the caliper body. Wash in more sapy water and rinse and dry.
Last thing I use is Raybestos Silicon brake Grease for reassembly of the of the seals and psiton. Mfg say it is OK to use brake fluid on the seals and piston but it can be the source of crud behind the seals and was not promoted at the brake clinics.

As always your experience may vary.....

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 02:46:40 PM »
I didn't pull it apart as I didn't want to bleed it.  Probably a better idea to pull apart/bleed since it's just the one caliper and not four like on a truck.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 12:56:14 PM »
care and a clean work environment is essential.
also I will comment on NOT using brake fluid as an assembly lube, as it is hygroscopic, and will pull moisture from the air, and hold it hidden behind the dust seals, promoting a rapid reformation of possible corrosion. dry assembly, or assembly with specific silicone brake piston seal lube is the best advice.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 03:03:15 AM »
All that money for a single use tool?

I just use the old pads and a screwdriver to lever them apart.
Pushed the piston on the 86-93 calipers back all the way.
Pushes all 4 pistons back in on the C14 easy as pie.
Also works on my Nissin 4 pot calipers on the front of Otto.

Once the gap gets too big, put a piece of wood in there and lever apart again.
Way less than $60 and probably faster too.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK