Author Topic: KiPass  (Read 17922 times)

Offline BS-in-KS

Re: KiPass
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2011, 12:49:55 PM »
Wonder how long it takes for the first reported problem. ;D
About 2 days as it turns out.   :'(

http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=236.0

Brent S.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2011, 09:59:12 PM »
I heard Kipass cures cancer....

Offline koval68

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2011, 11:06:48 AM »
KiPass Rocks in my books. :thumbs:
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2011, 02:45:56 PM »
I won't be a hater, my Kipass works fine.  But the problem I have is that since I access the side bags almost every single ride, I STILL have to fumble with a key so Kipass doesn't add convenience for me.  I know others have done a mod with custom key knobs on each side but I'm not enamored with that mod.

Go to a real locksmith. They will have keys that can be cut to fit the bags. I had a half dozen made ($3 each, cheap) and I just keep one or two available in the tank bag. Could leave them in the bag lock if I wanted to.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2011, 02:47:48 PM »
Just to be safe, I'd have one fob in the garage and one in the house.

So depending on where the "garage" fob is, you could start up the bike and go riding off and some miles later have that "Oh ****!" moment.  ;D

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 07:44:21 AM »
I just have it in the glovebox.

Offline Rawman

« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2011, 06:40:19 PM »
So depending on where the "garage" fob is, you could start up the bike and go riding off and some miles later have that "Oh ****!" moment.  ;D
Just don't turn it off until you get back home and you are fine.
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2011, 07:26:49 PM »
Yes, that could happen if you put the fob down on a bench or something that was very close to the bike. The first thing that would happen when you rode off would be that the LCD would display an error message, 'No Transponder' if I remember correctly. Something to remember is that KiPass cannot shut the bike down under any circumstances; it can only prevent it from starting so once it is running KiPass will not shut the bike off, even without a fob in range. If you do shut the bike off in these circumstances you have a narrow window of time to restart it without the fob- I believe it is 10 seconds. After that you will need a valid fob to restart the bike.

Leaving the fob behind has not been much of a problem if any problem at all. What has happened to some folks is that they put the fob down somewhere on the bike, rode off and the fob fell off the bike. That is certainly a bad situation to find yourself in. There is no way that I know of to prevent that from happening other than diligence on the part of the rider. Also, when I travel a significant distance from home, say more than 50 miles or so, I always carry both fobs on the bike; my wife usually has one and I have the other so it is extremely unlikely both would be lost. If I am traveling alone I take both fobs with me.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline seanmcva

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2011, 09:30:38 AM »
two years and nine months with no KIPASS issues ever. Replaced the batteries at two years as a precaution :P

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2011, 03:16:53 AM »
I though KiPass was a pill that would help you to efficiently evacuate an accidentally swallowed key,... until I bought my C14.  ;)
Now I know it is the solution to all lifes problems and the future mother of my babies.

I hear rumours that soon KiPass will spread, like a disease or funny YouTube video, to many other Kawasakis.
Most Suzuki owners are jealous, some Honda riders have been heard complaining of their lack, and Yamaha riders have been seen crying.
BMW riders however don't seem to care as they already have so many Acronyms that they have no idea if they have KiPass or not.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Bob

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2011, 04:46:37 AM »
<snip>
I hear rumours that soon KiPass will spread, like a disease or funny YouTube video, to many other Kawasakis.
Most Suzuki owners are jealous, some Honda riders have been heard complaining of their lack, and Yamaha riders have been seen crying.
BMW riders however don't seem to care as they already have so many Acronyms that they have no idea if they have KiPass or not.

I know one Yamaha rider that was only crying because he had KIPASS before his Yamaha. And they were not tears of joy! That's why he owns a Yamaha now!!!!!!  :D

Offline mkorn

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2011, 04:58:40 AM »
To me, KIPASS adds excitement to every start up ... its like buying an instant lottery ticket ... will she start or wont she .... WOOHOOO, she did!!   ;D
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Freddy

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2022, 09:15:01 PM »
Old thread but still current if you're looking at a new H2 SX SE.  It's just the second Kawasaki bike to get our beloved KIPASS!  Just in case you don’t know, here are a couple of interesting changes from the ZG1400: the active fob has a flick-knife type key incorporated; the passive type fob is now just a chip in the spare key; the stove knob key in the ignition switch doesn't come out of the lock; the KIPASS ECU is now part of the ignition switch unit; 5 active and 2 passive fobs can be registered to a bike (down from 6 & 6); the TPMS sensors are fitted with rt angle valve stem
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2022, 07:02:45 AM »
Thanks, Freddy!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2022, 05:18:54 AM »
Old thread but still current if you're looking at a new H2 SX SE.  It's just the second Kawasaki bike to get our beloved KIPASS!

Them adding KIPASS to the 2022 H2 SX SE is unexpected.  Now if they would add shaft drive and a power windscreen it would be an actual (small) sport tourer, at more than double the price of the C14.  From the website it looks like they don't sell the H2 SX NON-SE now?  Confusing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2022, 07:22:29 AM »
Them adding KIPASS to the 2022 H2 SX SE is unexpected.  Now if they would add shaft drive and a power windscreen it would be an actual (small) sport tourer, at more than double the price of the C14.  From the website it looks like they don't sell the H2 SX NON-SE now?  Confusing.
Meh. Just another sports bike with factory fitted mini-sidebags and a 1" taller screen.
Plenty of those for sale these days, although I have yet to see one on the road.
The only newer Kawasaki's I see on the roads these days are Versys1000/650 and "modern classics" as Kawasaki like to call them (Z900/Z650).
Not surprising given the price tags they seem to be putting on their machines.

The UK site still has the H2 SX as well as the H2 SX SE, but they have dropped the road legal H2 as only the H2-R is available.
Confusingly they do have the Z H2 and Z H2 SE "Supernaked" bikes.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline gerdawg

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2022, 07:48:04 AM »
My brother just bought one...the tech is certainly enticing. Hill assist, adaptive radar cruise control, blind spot monitoring, kipass, huge TFT screen, just to name a few features.

But like you said, it's 27K and that doesn't include another $1200 for the side saddle bags, which to me seems insane for a "sport touring" motorcycle.  Seems like it would be a tough pill to swallow for many I would imagine.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2022, 06:45:21 PM »
Here's post 14 in the link below which is somewhat interesting.

I know a bloke who got 2 extra active fobs when he got his new bike a few years ago and he showed me his array - same as below.  I said: 'that would have cost you a small fortune' and he replied saying, 'yes, but the security of knowing I'll never get stranded with a lost fob was worth it.'  I said: 'ok but let's see if you got what you paid for.  Take the battery out of the 3 active fob and see how many of them work in passive mode.'  Answer: 1.

https://forum.concours.org/index.php?threads/another-kipass-key-and-extra-hard-copy-key.54730/#post-661196
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2022, 05:27:57 AM »
LOL!
And how many of the metal keys in the active fobs worked in the ignition/bags/tank?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc