Author Topic: Garmin Nuvi in an Aqua box on a C-14  (Read 5898 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Garmin Nuvi in an Aqua box on a C-14
« on: June 04, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »
I just mounted an older Garmin Nuvi (not waterproof) in a RAM Aqua box (it is waterproof) on my bike in preparation for a long distance ride. I was pretty impressed with the Aqua box before it was actually on the bike; the touch screen worked well through the Aqua box's screen and it really does appear waterproof. Even the wiring through the labyrinth in the back looked like a great idea and again, waterproof. But then I mounted it to the right handlebar and things went downhill. The Aqua box is too wide for the bike; I have the choice of blocking some of the instrument panel or some of the right mirror. Even worse is the visibility of the GPS screen, which in direct sunlight is about zero. The screen itself isn't bright enough (Nuvis are not meant for direct viewing in the sun) and the Aqua box screen makes it substantially worse.

I had thought the Aqua box might allow a lot of people to use non- motorcycle electronics on a bike relatively safely, and while it will do that it is a little clunky and hard to see the screen. In my opinion, this is not a good way to compete with a true, waterproof, motorcycle GPS. It does work though and for under $200, you can have a fully functioning, albeit somewhat hard to see, GPS mounted on a motorcycle. It might be great for the occasional user who doesn't even want to wire the GPS to the bike and only use it occasionally under battery power.

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline jamiemac

Re: Garmin Nuvi in an Aqua box on a C-14
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 09:47:47 AM »
Can't You put some sort of hood over it to block out the sun? I use a nuvi, but I just stick it in my pocket in the rain. I can still hear the voice commands thru My Sena headset.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 11:14:24 AM »
I am sure you could fashion something but the display is pretty weak so for example, a 50% improvement would still leave a pretty low contrast display.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing but it makes it pretty difficult to use a Nuvi that way if you are on the freeway and looking for food, fuel or similar. Besides having to stop to remove it from your pocket, you have to expose it to the rain.

Brian

Can't You put some sort of hood over it to block out the sun? I use a nuvi, but I just stick it in my pocket in the rain. I can still hear the voice commands thru My Sena headset.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 01:13:21 PM »
I just put a ziplock bag with a rubberband on my Nuvi 255 if it is raining.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 01:42:04 PM »
I tried that once on a Saddlesore and all I got out of it was a rain- dot spattered plastic sheeting that I could not see through or use the touch screen.

I guess I am trying to say that while a lot of band- aids work, and the Aqua box really does work quite well, it ain't slick or much of a competitor for a weatherproof GPS in my opinion.

Brian

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 05:04:14 PM »
I tried that once on a Saddlesore and all I got out of it was a rain- dot spattered plastic sheeting that I could not see through or use the touch screen.

I guess I am trying to say that while a lot of band- aids work, and the Aqua box really does work quite well, it ain't slick or much of a competitor for a weatherproof GPS in my opinion.

Brian
I just recieved My Casio G'zone Commando phone today. It's weather proof, shock resistant and solor radiation rated to military specs. It might render My nuvi obsolete, & I only paid 20 bucks for it thru Crutchfield when I renewed My verizon contract.
There is a good chance it will render My Nuvi 765T obsolete.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline accbiker

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 05:38:14 PM »
I used the baggie trick for several years without any trouble.  I recently "upgraded" to a Nuvi 500 which is waterproof.  But I agree the Aqua Box does not work well on almost any bike.

-David
Athens, GA

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
I think that is where we are all headed- one integrated electronic 'device' that is a cell phone, GPS, emergency transponder, 'Net surfing tool, camera, video camera, etc., etc. Maybe some type of universal device that you purchase packages to install and provide services: GPS is $8 / month, emergency transponder is $5 / month, etc. I think more and more of us are carrying different electronic devices that will probably be melded together in the future. And work better / faster too.

Brian

I just recieved My Casio G'zone Commando phone today. It's weather proof, shock resistant and solor radiation rated to military specs. It might render My nuvi obsolete, & I only paid 20 bucks for it thru Crutchfield when I renewed My verizon contract.
There is a good chance it will render My Nuvi 765T obsolete.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 01:27:58 AM »
I think that is where we are all headed- one integrated electronic 'device' that is a cell phone, GPS, emergency transponder, 'Net surfing tool, camera, video camera, etc., etc. Maybe some type of universal device that you purchase packages to install and provide services: GPS is $8 / month, emergency transponder is $5 / month, etc. I think more and more of us are carrying different electronic devices that will probably be melded together in the future. And work better / faster too.

Brian
This thing is capable of a lot, but the vendor is going to have to get Me the right damn PHONE NUMBER first. Damn...how could they screw that up? There is also no mounting solution yet, but I think this thing will be popular with riders, so I look for Ram Mounts to make a cradle for it.

Bob

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 04:59:09 AM »
This thing is capable of a lot, but the vendor is going to have to get Me the right damn PHONE NUMBER first. Damn...how could they screw that up? There is also no mounting solution yet, but I think this thing will be popular with riders, so I look for Ram Mounts to make a cradle for it.

Yes a phone number would probably help. But I have to wonder for $20? Or does it list for a whole lot more, but signing a new Verizon contract getting you a much better price at $20?

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 10:28:15 AM »

I do the same thing - it' works surprisingly well for me, but I admit that it would not be the best solution if riding all day in the rain and you are really relying on the nav for a lot of upcoming turn information (and are not wired for sound, as I am not).  I've been fortunate in that I have not ridden in an all day rain in a long time.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2011, 10:43:59 AM »
I'm gonna try to use my DroidX for everything.  I'll use a ziplock when it's raining.

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2011, 11:07:15 AM »

Yes a phone number would probably help. But I have to wonder for $20? Or does it list for a whole lot more, but signing a new Verizon contract getting you a much better price at $20?
They list for much more, but Crutchfield was having a promotion and giving some amazing prices, Older Android phones are going for free with a renewed contract or new plan. I checked it out, & a lot of folks have taken advantage of the deal.

Offline speed545

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 05:49:17 AM »
interesting thread since i was about to go this way.

Should i expect the same problem with that kind of protection?
http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-NUVI-GPS-Water-Resistant-Motorcycle-Bike-Mount-/220623607530?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335e3116ea
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 02:19:14 AM »
I'm gonna try to use my DroidX for everything.  I'll use a ziplock when it's raining.

I think smartphones are the way to go.  They have a couple caveats though, you MUST have a cell signal to get your directions, and there ARE places still that get very little or no cell signals at all.  Garmin (I think) has a new phone out that doesn't use cell signals for the GPS, but it is pretty expensive, and not really great at much more than GPS and phone. 

That said, I have used mine to get me places that I couldn't find.  I just wish I could upload a route to the phone and it would follow that.  If I could do that, I wouldn't EVER need a GPS.  I use mine for streaming audio while I ride, for a quick find of the nearest Kawi dealer or cycle shop.  I'd really be lost without it!
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 07:38:38 AM »
I think smartphones are the way to go.  They have a couple caveats though, you MUST have a cell signal to get your directions, and there ARE places still that get very little or no cell signals at all.  Garmin (I think) has a new phone out that doesn't use cell signals for the GPS, but it is pretty expensive, and not really great at much more than GPS and phone. 

That said, I have used mine to get me places that I couldn't find.  I just wish I could upload a route to the phone and it would follow that.  If I could do that, I wouldn't EVER need a GPS.  I use mine for streaming audio while I ride, for a quick find of the nearest Kawi dealer or cycle shop.  I'd really be lost without it!
Actually My phone does have a dedicated GPS that works from the satellites. Turn By turn direction from (google) work from the internet connection though, because their maps are not stored on the phone, but loaded at the time of connection. The advantage is always having the most updated maps. There are however, other navigation apps that use stored maps, that will work without an internet connection.

Several other brand of phones also use a separate GPS chip.

At this point however, My NUVI 765T is still the better of the two units, & will do things the phone will not. Looks like it's staying for a while.