Author Topic: GPS Mount  (Read 11419 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: GPS Mount
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2011, 08:29:11 AM »
I found this on the net for $12! It's inexpensive, solid and if fits perfectly. The only downside for some, is that it can't be adjusted. However, I don't see a need to adjust it. Tigerdirect has it for $18.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3856168&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Bracketron CMM-205-BL

You have this on your C14? Where does it mount? Gotta pic?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline chi-gpz1100

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2011, 09:24:50 AM »
Popping the GPS out of the cradle is easy enough...

Indeed that is correct.  The cradle does hold the gps very tightly.  My concern is doing so repeatedly will weaken the it over time.  It is after all just molded plastic.  On a day trip, the gps goes on and comes off once - more so if I can't park the bike in sight for lunch.  On over night trips, it's at least that multiplied by the # of days.  Sure the cradle is cheap (about the same price as the quick release), I just find it easier to remove the whole assembly (with the garmin clip attached permanently).  FWIW, I'm still using the same cradle I got in 2008.  I did have to replace the quick release because the positioning tab broke (little tab at the top center of the bracket).  Techmounts replaced it free of charge.

Btw, I use several layers of electrical tape at the bottom outside and top middle of the cradle to improve fit, and eliminate scratching of the gps.

Online VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »
I found this on the net for $12! It's inexpensive, solid and if fits perfectly. The only downside for some, is that it can't be adjusted. However, I don't see a need to adjust it. Tigerdirect has it for $18.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3856168&SRCCODE=GOOGLEBASE&cm_mmc_o=VRqCjC7BBTkwCjCECjCE

Bracketron CMM-205-BL

Is there a reason your giraffe is not moving?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 09:41:29 AM »

That's what she said...

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 09:44:06 AM »

Offline mkorn

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 09:56:54 AM »
When i stop and leave the bike unattended, i remove the Ram arm, cradle and the GPS as one.
then stow it in the saddlebag.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline 2010rider

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 01:20:33 PM »
i would heed the advice of one of the poster's and tether it.  I've noticed my Garmin when stuck to the windshield of my car and park in the sun it has pop free.
I bought a extra suction mount from  Radio Shack the one with the arm the you can angle. I also bought a Tech Mount (from Murphy's) and remove the round plate. I just ran a bolt the center of the Garmin mount into the Tech Mount. It ain't going anywhere.  For added safety I also put a fishing line between the GPS and the provided Garmin adapter and tied that to the Tech Mount.  I would post pictures, but I recently added some risers and need to get some extra long bolts for the Tech Mount.

Offline scgoan

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 05:10:42 PM »
Here are some pictures of the Bracketron cmm-205-bl mounted on my Connie with a RAM cell phone cradle. Bracketron also makes one for the right side, cmm-204-bl. I think I'm going to purchase that mount for my gps. Last year I was able to find the Bracketron on Amazon for $11.95. At the same time, I purchased Bracketron's universal cell phone "Grip-it" cell phone mount that I hated. Last month I saw a post by someone that was using the Ram cell phone mount, it looked like something that would work, so I purchased one for $13.00. The Ram cell phone mount works really well.   

Anyway here are the pictures:

Offline scgoan

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 05:15:34 PM »

I have no idea why it's not moving...I may need a hand. Any volunteers?

Seriously, when we moved to this site, I couldn't remember how to get it to move again. Maybe I did something wrong when I copied it over.

Offline Kirby

• I ride up front and look through the hole.
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
I know why the squirrel isn't moving and it has nothing to do with the new site.

Kirby

I have no idea why it's not moving...I may need a hand. Any volunteers?

Seriously, when we moved to this site, I couldn't remember how to get it to move again. Maybe I did something wrong when I copied it over.
Member: Dead Rodent's Riders
President: KiPass Lover's Society

Offline DocPigskin

• I'm kind of a big deal
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »
I wouldn't trust the suction cup.  Just not worth seeing it fly off driving down the freeway.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2011, 06:46:18 AM »
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline kawamark

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 07:31:28 PM »
FWIW… On my C-10 I’ve used the OEM Garmin suction cup mount for my old StreetPilot c330 GPS with no issues. Had it on for 3 weeks and a 1500 + mile trip through 3 states.

I’m real careful about cleaning the windshield, wetting the black rubber disk first, and the applying pressure while moving the locking lever in place. When I mount it this way, you will only see a small dime sized section of ‘air’ in the suction cup.
Mark L. Johnson

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 10:21:36 PM »
I used the stem nut from Motorcycle Larry (part number CO1400TCNUT), but I see it's not listed anymore. You can see it in the pics below. Getting the stock nut off was quite a challenge.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 10:59:43 PM by Y0ssarian »
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 10:37:21 AM »
That's a clean install!

Offline Behindbars

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
I used the stem nut from Motorcycle Larry (part number CO1400TCNUT), but I see it's not listed anymore. You can see it in the pics below. Getting the stock nut off was quite a challenge.

How did you get the stock nut off?

Offline Y0ssarian

• Arena
  • 97% chance of being hit by a piano
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2011, 08:11:23 PM »
That's a clean install!

Thanks; that's exactly what I was going for. If I had to do it without the replacement stem nut I'd look into a Ram ball with a long stud; I remember someone on this board mentioning that you can get access to the underside of the stock nut with a deep socket and a long extension to tighten the nut on one. Also I think the Techmount and the stock Kawasaki mount put the GPS in a similar place.

How did you get the stock nut off?

12mm hex "L" wrench long-way down, turned by a 1¼" box-end wrench buried in my chest, while pulling on the right handlebar with both hands. It let loose with a bang. I installed the replacement nut (it's actually a bolt) with blue Loctite and 80 ft-lbs torque, which is spec.
The words of the prophets are written on the cylinder walls.