Author Topic: Dynotronics reflash done...update  (Read 12965 times)

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
Dynotronics reflash done...update
« on: May 26, 2011, 01:02:39 PM »
Ok so after this weekend I'll know more but so far  :).
First impression on my short ride in to work at 4:00am .
Throttle response is much more linear and acceleration is better .
Understand I live near LEO's barn and they are coming in around the time I take off to work
so I only had a few run ups. The bike pulls stronger from a stop and a quick glance at the speedo ( remember LEO)
showed possibly a few MPH ( 5 ?) better thru the first 2 gears to somewhere around 7-8 k compared to what I'm used to(remember LEO).Once on base all I could do was check the dash for MPG.
at 30 in second just under 3 grand 37 to 38 mpg. If I remember it used to be 34.5.

Background
Stock bike with Area P pipe and K&N filter. I was running a PCIII ( which will be for sale )with Jamie's fuel ecno map.I had done as Fred suggested and run power to the PCIII from the aux up front because there was a small stumble out of the gate in the morning and he attributed that the the PCIII ( it did help) . I have removed the PCIII and this morning out of the gate was very smooth with no issues.
understand I never pulled the flies and never felt the need to so that might give you a view on my perspective. This weekend (if the frickin wind ever stops) Mama is ready to go for a ride
and I'm wanting to see how 2 up , higher speed, longer runs and MPG turn out. Saturday looks better as far as wind 20 + but right now Sunday and Monday some predictions are 40 + so we'll see.

Dynotronics
Joe was very helpful ,easy to work ,with did as he said  and offered his help in making changes down the road. Thanks Joe. I have no problem
recommending Dynotronics to anyone here. He will also tailor the map ( flies out ?) to your wants. I chose his "standard map " for now ,just seemed to suit my needs.

Warning this is not quantifiable data it is yahoo seat of the pants this feels different data  YRMV
I will post more after the weekend if Mother Nature lets us ride

bob
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:01:33 AM by bob14 »
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline Bagger

Re: Dynotronics reflash done
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 04:36:37 PM »
Thanx for the review, Bob.  I talked with Joe a while ago and am considering having my ECU reFlashed.  It is always good to hear from others who have had a mod done and then review it for the rest of us.  I prolly would have already had this done if I could figure out how to remove the ECU easily.

I don't want a 'hot rod', but I did sell a ZX14 (along with a ST1300 ... not a hot rod indeed), to buy my 2010 C14 ABS.  I'm not disappointed with the performance of the bike, but a bit more punch is always welcomed.  Smoother delivery of the power is good as well.  Plus, the throttle is a bit jerky from 1st to 2nd gear. 

I'll be reading your future posts when you get more miles under your butt with the Dynotronics reFlash.

Thanx again.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline bob14

Re: Dynotronics reflash done...update
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »

( disclaimer: Im not a techno-moto-expert I've just been riding since I was 16 and now I'm 56 )

Ok so we (Mama on back ) finally got out for more that a ride to work here is what I noticed:
on the flat heading toward the highway I rolled it up to 7 k and 10k in second and still I can't believe how smooth the run up is compared to stock.
got there in a flash and VERY linear . Out thru the canyon to South 14 and the twisties LEO was everywhere. so limited speed but a lot less shifting than normal.
Was able to roll it up thru the turn easier with Mama and with an even consistency no small jerk like before. I can't tell you why... but the bike runs smoother that before (see disclaimer) .I was paying attention to every little thing today and  after this mod I give the connie a 15 % increase in ride-ability to what I thought was a great bike to start with.
I also noted the bike never got to temperature ( for me 1 bar over half) and found no environmental reasons for that
By the indications on the dash a slight increase in MPG also ( 2-4 mpg ?) I didn't bother calculating milage this ride because we hit a 30 mph tail wind going out and a 40 mph head wind coming back. The dash showed a 15 + loss of MPH coming back. So next time I'll check MPG.

Bump to Joe for the good job IMHO it was well worth it .Some might need a Dyno run for proof  but for me ,at my age ,the seat dyno works fine.
Wind expected to increase so off to check out the breweries . By june 4 new ones this year in Albuquerque !!!!
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline Afm252

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 07:13:51 PM »
As  soon as I save the pennies, I am paying Joe a visit. He is just down the road about 20 miles from me. He has a dyno too. I'll see if he'll let me be a guinea pig for dyno testing and advertising purposes of course  ;)

Thank you for the write up. I look forward to the trial myself.
Mike T
09 C14 "Turtle"
07 CBR 600rr Blue/ Silver
98 CBR 600 F3 "Desert Storm"

Offline Rawman

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 07:19:12 PM »
Did you do it in Cali or ATL?  Can you post their phone number, I want to talk with them about a flies out, AreaP full exhaust mod.  I may make a run down to Atlanta soon.

Edit, Nevermind:

Dynotronics Performance Tuning

Atlanta and Texas Offices

678.488.1011 office

678.897.4692 fax

dyno@dptune.com
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline bob14

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 05:30:49 AM »
Did you do it in Cali or ATL?  Can you post their phone number, I want to talk with them about a flies out, AreaP full exhaust mod.  I may make a run down to Atlanta soon.

Edit, Nevermind:

Dynotronics Performance Tuning

Atlanta and Texas Offices

678.488.1011 office

678.897.4692 fax

dyno@dptune.com

He responds to E-mail  each day
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986

Offline blackstrom

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 08:56:27 AM »
Does the ECU carry your Tire Pressure Sensor info???
I see ECU's on Ebay for $150...
can I just pick one up, have it reflashed, and plug it in???
...or is that going to foul up other stuff??? :o

Offline bob14

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 09:12:36 AM »
Good question for the experts
I believe the KIPASS box is separate (up by the tank ) and probably carries the sensors but I don't have a diagram here at work.
Joe at Dnyotronics might also know if he is familiar with the code.
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986

Offline blackstrom

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 10:52:31 AM »

Is this the right part number for the ECU???

21175-0131

Offline bob14

2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 03:46:34 PM »
When the heck are we gonna get some Dyno data on this?

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 03:48:09 PM »
No, the engine ECU does not interact with the TPS or KiPass systems. There is a separate unit for the TPS and KiPass components and Kawasaki calls that an ECU also but they call it the KiPass ECU.

You could change out ECUs but you would have to have the bike recoded to recognize the new ECU; that has to be done using KDS3 software that most (or all?) Kawasaki dealers have. And of course you cannot use the bike between swapping out the ECU and having the bike re-coded. You could bring the second ECU with you to the dealer, swap it out there (it only takes a minute) and then have them code it; that would also have the advantage that if the replacement ECU did not work, you could go back to the original ECU and have the bike be re- coded to recognize that one.... again. That is a little confusing but I think the meaning is in there.

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Bagger

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 06:15:40 PM »
Bob ...

How did you determine which 'map' to use?  I know Joe emailed me and said that the European guys liked what they had, but not sure what that means.

I really plan to do this reFlash soon.  Any help with which kind of map to choose?
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2011, 06:47:19 PM »
A point to consider for anyone thinking of modding their bike.  MPH at a given RPM does not change with hp.

As an example:  4K rpm in 3rd gear is the same mph independant of changes to horsepower and torque.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline bob14

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 05:53:11 AM »
A point to consider for anyone thinking of modding their bike.  MPH at a given RPM does not change with hp.

As an example:  4K rpm in 3rd gear is the same mph independant of changes to horsepower and torque.

Barry

true but the elapsed time to reach the 4K can change
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986

Offline bob14

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 06:02:15 AM »
Bob ...

How did you determine which 'map' to use?  I know Joe emailed me and said that the European guys liked what they had, but not sure what that means.

I really plan to do this reFlash soon.  Any help with which kind of map to choose?
Bagger
 I just used the "stock map " Joe suggested . He opens the flies only 200 rpm earlier on the stock map, along with cleaning up the fuel richness and changes in timing, which is fine for me. He can adjust the "flies" point if that is what you want.
The engine runs smoother, power and torque curve is( seems ) more linear and fuel ( by the dash readout) is better . That was my aim and why I choose the "stock" map.
 Maybe we can get Joe to number them ...by the flies out RPM figure, I'd have the 200 map?
If you have a US bike refer to what  map he did for me and go from there
Can't say it enough how happy I am with this mod ....but that's just me
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 08:00:46 AM »
I only have 2500 miles on my 2011 C14 and okay, I have to admit I'm a little scared of the brain surgery involved in this mod. Just how easy/hard is it to extract and replace the ECU?

Offline bob14

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 08:29:36 AM »
I did it that is how easy.......
Remove the seat , tool box ECU is rubber mounted right there.it is the bottom unit . This is on on 08 should be the same on the11
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986

Offline Rawman

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 04:29:35 PM »
When the heck are we gonna get some Dyno data on this?
I emailed them on Tuesday about my bike which is a 2009 flies removed, full AreaP exhaust, BMC air filter and a PC-V.  I asked for a price on a dyno run before and after their reflash, but have heard nothing from them as of yet.......
2009 Non-ABS
VStream, PR2s, AreaP Full Exhaust, Carbon Can, PC-V, BMC Air Filter, 151 Dyno'd RWhp.
'04 Honda VTX-1300C, '01 Kawasaki ZRX-1200R, '87 Yamaha VMax, '79 Kawasaki K-1000 LTD, '77 Kawasaki KZ-1000,'80 Suzuki GS-550L

Offline capt chaos

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2011, 04:33:58 PM »
Put my ECU back in today, I replaced the anti-tamper bolts that European bikes have holding the tool box in with normal allen bolts. Only done a couple of miles, I'll fill tank and give feedback later  :)
2010 GTR1400 Magnesium