Author Topic: 157 miles on her and some idiot with bad brakes runs into me.  (Read 25470 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Re: 157 miles on her and some idiot with bad brakes runs into me.
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 06:08:19 PM »
Stock exhaust (on line) was $784. I ordered Two Brothers Black Series Carbon Fiber slip-on yesterday.. Should be here by Friday.

My adjuster used OEM prices from the dealer, hopefully your's does the same thing and you will get a nice check to cover the damages and then some.   ;)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 06:18:54 PM »
Very true and I was not paying attention to that, was thinking about not losing the person I was following. But I would have had no where to go, cars were already in the intersection in front of me...

I understand that, the only fix is to increase your distance between stopped cars.  In LE we call that an escape route, lol.

Offline jqram35

• 2012 C-14 Candy Arabian Red
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 06:19:59 PM »
Wow....sorry that happened to you.  I'm glad you were not on a small bike.   From the looks of things,   you must  have had your brakes on to avoid being kicked forward into an intersection or another car???????

Think I did have the brakes on.
Jeff

Offline jqram35

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 06:21:23 PM »
I understand that, the only fix is to increase your distance between stopped cars.  In LE we call that an escape route, lol.

I was first in line and yes that is exactly what WE call it ;)
Jeff

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »
I gotcha, being T Boned is a very bad thing...We have a training course called the 90 degree pullout, basically 90 degree right turn from stopped position but in a panic situation application may be iffy.  Again, glad you are here to tell us about the ordeal.   I am sure that beauty will be better than new!

Offline jqram35

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
I gotcha, being T Boned is a very bad thing...We have a training course called the 90 degree pullout, basically 90 degree right turn from stopped position but in a panic situation application may be iffy.  Again, glad you are here to tell us about the ordeal.   I am sure that beauty will be better than new!
Yeah I practice that as well but there was just no time...Will be paying better attention. First incident in about 60K miles so I haven't been doing to bad on the scooters. I am just glad I was lucky today! Bike will good as new soon. No worries.
Jeff

Excavator

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 06:34:00 PM »
Glad you're ok. I think I would have the dealer check the hub and drive line thoroughly for cracks/dammage, just assuming he smacked your rear tire with some force.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »
Actually there was no mark on the rear tire. I believe the Exhaust took the hit, that factory trash can sized muffler sticks out like a foot LOL. Muffler hanger is bent a bit. Dealer will check her out for sure. Rode her home 60 miles. No unusual noises.
Jeff

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2012, 06:45:00 PM »
your in pain ,  get a lawyer!!    bring you bike to the kawa shop so they can estimate damage, dont let his insurance adjuster dictate to you what it will cost.    he will try to get you suckered in quick with a check in his hand dont do it.     you got knocked to the ground and are bruised up!!     be smart.

Offline PH14

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2012, 07:05:27 PM »
I love it when they say their brakes don't work well, and yet you heard squealing tires. Sounds like they work okay, he just didn't put them on in time then stomped on them. Idiot. I'm sorry to hear about your new bike, but I'm really glad you're okay.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2012, 07:18:47 PM »
Think I did have the brakes on.

Very smart.  You might have avoided a real disaster by doing this and its something I'll remember to do as well.

Offline texrider

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2012, 08:05:03 PM »
Glad to hear yours was fairly minor.

My first C14 was on day two with less than 200 miles, when an un-insured un-licensed driver crossed the centerline into me. Ripped the left side of the bike apart, front to back. Put me in hospital, and bike was a total.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline Z71

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
This incident clearly illustrates how important is to have tip over protection on a bike like this.  A set of McEnterprise bars would have  minimized the damage.

Glad you came out of this unscathed. People simply do not pay attention while driving.  I bet whoever hit you did not have a problem with the brakes, but with the cellphone (texting).

Wearing a bright yellow vest over your jacket also greatly increases your visibility.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2012, 08:27:14 PM »
Note the color of my jacket which I was wearing...me on the FJR start of an ironbutt..
Jeff

Offline jqram35

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2012, 08:28:46 PM »
Only had the bike 5 days, have pucks on the FJR but none on this bike yet..
Jeff

Offline Z71

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2012, 09:07:17 PM »

I installed the side case McEnterprise bars on mine, but did not like the look of the front bars (too bulky) so I did not install them.    Now that I think about it, they provide the best protection for the bike, as they also protect the mirrors which the sliders do not.  So I just might install them and see how it goes.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2012, 11:40:41 PM »
Very sorry to hear about your new ride being banged up already - that would make me sick to my stomach. I am very glad to hear you could still ride the bike and were not transported from the scene via ambulance. This is a good example of why bikes are dangerous, you don't need to do anything wrong and you can still end up on the wrong side of a car's bumper. Good luck with getting her back to new.

Offline Supatramp

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2012, 04:05:27 AM »
Glad your OK, seems like this crap, always happens with new vehicles

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2012, 04:45:10 AM »

You only had the bike 5 days and only 157 miles on it?  Slacker!   ;)   Glad you are ok and the bike was just scratched up.  Hopefully that's all the damage but it doesn't take much of a knock to twist things under the plastic.  Check it out good.  Always plan an escape route when stopped if you can and always always keep an eye out on vehicles behind you.  That's one of my biggest fears is getting hit by another vehicle whilst stopped at an intersection.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.  There's a wealth of information here for the taking.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jqram35

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2012, 04:49:03 AM »
You only had the bike 5 days and only 157 miles on it?  Slacker!   ;)   Glad you are ok and the bike was just scratched up.  Hopefully that's all the damage but it doesn't take much of a knock to twist things under the plastic.  Check it out good.  Always plan an escape route when stopped if you can and always always keep an eye out on vehicles behind you.  That's one of my biggest fears is getting hit by another vehicle whilst stopped at an intersection.

Welcome to the forum, BTW.  There's a wealth of information here for the taking.

Slacker is right but in my defense I worked 4 of those.
Jeff