Author Topic: 1 into 2 12v adaptor  (Read 2357 times)

Offline Poddy

1 into 2 12v adaptor
« on: December 22, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »
Hi All,
simple question?

Is it OK to run a 1 into 2 12v adaptor from the accessory plug so I can run my GPS and charge my phone at the same time?
Bloody smart phones have no battery life and I run a Q4 comms set up so its working all the while I am riding

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/295090963/Car_USB_charger_with_Cigarette_lighter.html

Cheers
Poddy

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
Re: 1 into 2 12v adaptor
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 02:43:27 AM »
As long as the total amps used by all of the devices that are hooked up to it don't exceed the max amps of the circuit, then yes.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Poddy

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 03:21:52 AM »
Thanks Pope, can see how the GPS & Phone would exceed it but wanted to make sure before I bought a unit, Heading out for a week and camping on the side of the road so this is the only option I'll have to charge items etc

Cheers
Poddy

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 01:55:29 PM »
I have run as many as 3 different items from my power plug while riding. 1) Amplirider amplifier for my helmet speakers, 2) Cell phone charger & 3) power supply for my GPS. I just used a three-way splitter from Wally World. Gotta admit it did look kinda geeky with all those wires going into my tank bag. Plus the Volume control & headphone cord coming out. I did unplug & put it all away when the rain came.  I also just ordered another power socket (only 5.50) from Bike Bandit to put in the left side opening. This way I can split the load a little better.
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 01:58:47 PM »
Yep, those two things are fine together. And there is no real limit on how many additional outlets you can use on one outlet as long as the total current draw is not too great, as another poster already said. The two things you mention are both low current (less than one amp each) devices and so will be fine if powered at the same time from the accessory outlet.

Brian

Hi All,
simple question?

Is it OK to run a 1 into 2 12v adaptor from the accessory plug so I can run my GPS and charge my phone at the same time?
Bloody smart phones have no battery life and I run a Q4 comms set up so its working all the while I am riding

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/295090963/Car_USB_charger_with_Cigarette_lighter.html

Cheers
Poddy
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com