Author Topic: New Bike dead day after I get it home  (Read 1398 times)

Offline WarEagleAlways2021

New Bike dead day after I get it home
« on: September 20, 2021, 08:35:33 AM »
Hey-
So, I got my new 2015 C14 home late Saturday... Long ride from Denver to Wichita.  No issues.  Get up Sunday to clean off the MASSIVE amount of bugs and get Low Battery warning.  So, I go get a new FOB battery.  Get home.  Realize I left the fob in Walmart.  Hours later, find the FOB.  Get home and see I left the switch in the center position and drained the battery.  Tried jumping it off and I am getting nothing.  I can hear the fuel pump cut on when I connect to the positive terminal but nothing coming up on my dash.  Suggestions?  I have a garage here but it's a multi car setup with no power outlets for a tinder.
Thanks

Offline Big Red

• Arena
Re: New Bike dead day after I get it home
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 09:54:40 AM »
Jumping should work. Make sure the switch is off before you try to start it. Hook all the cables up, let the battery come up a little, then flip the switch over to on. Should come to life. Then you can try to start it. It is possible, but rare, that the battery is too dead to allow it to be jumped. In that case with your setup, I'd pull the battery, take it someplace outside to charge it and let it go on a charger for a while.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline Bagger John

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 10:59:08 AM »
I'd put the battery on a conditioner type charger and try to bring it up to full charge, rather than jumping it. You can potentially cook an alternator with a battery which is discharged to the point that it looks like a short.

Also...is the original battery in the bike? If so, time to change it anyway.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 12:26:57 PM »
Thanks-
I will pull it out and put it on a charger.  I do know that the 2015 batter compartment was more difficult to get the jumper cable on to the positive post than my other C14s due to a bracket that goes over the top of the battery.  I still think I was able to get it on there enough to charge it.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 03:29:53 PM »
I'll just post this again to help keep folks informed.  You DO NOT need to rush out and buy a battery the moment the low FOB battery sign is displayed.  The FOB contains a completely independent and non-battery operated bike starting system called the "Key Immobilizer".  You can read all about it in your Concours 14 Owner's Manual but basically you just place the end of the FOB where you have removed the key against the top of the stove knob housing and press the knob.  The bike will unlock and you can start it up as usual.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 10:52:21 AM »
There are two battery warnings on the later bikes. "Low Battery" and "Transponder Low Battery". The first is the main starter battery and the second is self-explanatory. I just mention this so that you are looking in the right place.

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2021, 10:59:48 AM »
Thanks... it def said Low Battery, not Transponder.  So, it's on a battery tender for now... Probably going to get a new batter Thursday just in case.

Offline Bagger John

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2021, 04:29:35 PM »
I keep battery maintainers on my C14s at all times in the colder months, and make sure I hook a maintainer to them at least once a month during summer - when they're ridden less frequently in favor of my cruisers.

Would suggest doing same with your new arrival when you replace the battery. If you don't get to ride it often at least the battery will be kept in good shape.

Offline Danger4u2

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2021, 07:48:40 PM »
Buy a new battery, it's cheap insurance. A dead battery in a bad area could cost you more than money.
KX500 is Danger4u2