Author Topic: Kipass  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Indydan420

Kipass
« on: July 24, 2021, 09:18:41 AM »
I have a 2011 and my key fob got washed, I replaced the battery and dried it out and no luck getting it to work, bought the bike used and it came with the fob only, what is the best route to get a replacement fob and get it synced to the bike, thanks.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Kipass
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 10:04:22 AM »
Have you tried using the rf portion of it?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jwh20

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 10:09:40 AM »
IndyDan where are you located?  If it's around Indianapolis I may be able to help you out.

The FOB that you have has two components, the KiPass system which is likely ruined and the Key Immobilizer part that is likely fine.  This is all covered in your owners manual but if you remove the key from the FOB and place the empty slot above the "stove knob" assy.  You should be able to start your bike.

If that works, then all you need is a few FOB and someone to program your bike to work with it.  That takes a KDS3 unit which I am in possession of and will be glad to help you out.

If you're around Indy please PM me and we can talk.

Otherwise you'll likely have to rely on a dealer in your area.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 12:04:47 PM »
You should have received both an active AND a passive FOB.  With only 1 FOB, if you lose it or it is completely destroyed, you are in for a MAJOR expense! (With no FOB, no additional FOB can be programmed and the computer will need to be replaced, which is lots of $$$$).  So make sure you get some additional FOBS (of either type) as soon as possible.

The passive-only FOB is smaller/thinner/lighter and much cheaper.  But it is also less convenient to use.

As has already been posted, the large FOB (with battery) is a combination active and passive FOB.  If the battery is dead or circuitry is destroyed, the active part will not work, but you can still use it to start the bike with the passive portion by holding it against the magic spot for a moment, north of the stove key, then pressing down on the stove key.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline speedracersworld

• 817-821-0448
    • Speedracersworld
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2021, 11:50:38 PM »
There's more to Life than the Mainstream Media or "Reality" TV! Question Everything!

2008 Atomic Silver C-14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2021, 09:06:28 AM »
https://youtu.be/XGA7CxnD4X8

Good video, except for mispronouncing "Concours" :)  (The "s" is silent thanks to that Frenchy-stuff)

The KIPASS system can be very confusing for people new to the concept.  And making the matters worse is that the dealers' salesmen and sometimes even service techs are generally clueless about it, too.  To the point that people will get a brand NEW bike with the passive FOB missing.  Much worse for used bikes and for non-Kawasaki dealers.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2021, 10:24:51 AM »
Good video, except for mispronouncing "Concours" :)  (The "s" is silent thanks to that Frenchy-stuff)

The KIPASS system can be very confusing for people new to the concept.  And making the matters worse is that the dealers' salesmen and sometimes even service techs are generally clueless about it, too.  To the point that people will get a brand NEW bike with the passive FOB missing.  Much worse for used bikes and for non-Kawasaki dealers.

That and is it really pronounced KeyPass?  I always said Kie Pass in my head.   :o
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2021, 12:20:47 PM »
That and is it really pronounced KeyPass?  I always said Kie Pass in my head.   :o

I will admit I know nothing on that particular one.  But it does kip ass :)

Offline jwh20

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2021, 04:50:56 PM »
I think we've lost Indydan420.  It looks like he logged in one time and never reappeared.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2021, 05:00:33 PM »
I think we've lost Indydan420.  It looks like he logged in one time and never reappeared.

Yep.  Created an account, posted 1 message a few minutes later, and never returned.   Of course, it is possible to view the forum without actually logging in, though.  So it is possible he could have read the replies.  This is why you will often find on forums that members are hesitant to interact with brand new users, because many don't interact further or add anything.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2021, 06:19:16 AM »
Where are you located, Mr. Twain?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2021, 05:05:36 PM »
Where are you located, Mr. Twain?
Woodlawn Cemetery, Elmira, NY

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2021, 06:30:47 AM »
Sigh...Mr. Twain is no longer among us...shame to smite an American Icon..  I posted that when he was online and waited for a response.  Got none and traced his ip to one of the stan countries.  It was short work to ban him.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2021, 06:55:26 AM »
Sigh...Mr. Twain is no longer among us...shame to smite an American Icon..  I posted that when he was online and waited for a response.  Got none and traced his ip to one of the stan countries.  It was short work to ban him.
I am curious  why you banned him.  I don't remember anything bannable in his posts.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Bagger John

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 07:57:57 AM »
You should have received both an active AND a passive FOB.  With only 1 FOB, if you lose it or it is completely destroyed, you are in for a MAJOR expense! (With no FOB, no additional FOB can be programmed and the computer will need to be replaced, which is lots of $$$$).  So make sure you get some additional FOBS (of either type) as soon as possible.
I have two actives for my '08 and an active/passive pair for my '12. I know what's on my Christmas list.