Author Topic: Header Nuts - gone  (Read 3110 times)

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
Header Nuts - gone
« on: August 18, 2016, 07:32:15 PM »
Holy cow, heard the exhaust leak and sure enough, Number 4 both nuts gone.  Number 3 one gone one loose.

Question: hard time reaching the inner nut on #3 - still on but loose.  Please let me in on the trick.  Hopefully not removing the radiator.  Still riding season here, so I'd like to get back on the road for a Saturday ride ....  Tried open end, socket, socket with swivel extension. 

Got the bike used last July.  Now at 32 K miles, 20K of those mine.  Shoulda checked those nuts ....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Header Nuts - gone
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 08:04:41 PM »
But what year....
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 08:11:16 PM »
Sorry.  Didn't think it mattered on this.  08. Abs.  Plastic off.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 03:35:00 AM »

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 04:12:27 AM »
You don't have to remove the radiator, but you have to let it hang down and forward. Only 3 bolts to remove, not hard. Protect the front fender because the radiator may contact it when it's loose.

That's what I did but I think I took the front fender and front wheel off to give me more room.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2016, 04:58:59 AM »
With the right combo of extensions (of various lengths) and a swivel the header nuts can be tightened up without even taking any other bolts off or loosening them up. I've done it with the plastic on but with it off it should be easy.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 05:03:26 AM »
Sorry.  Didn't think it mattered on this.  08. Abs.  Plastic off.

In this case it doesn't matter as far as repairing it, but it does from a statistical point of view- people want to know how old it is (typically in years and miles) before something like this happens or goes wrong.  Also, it helps to spot any trend that might be applicable to a particular model year.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2016, 07:22:58 AM »
I tightened all of mine (all 8 were loose) when I recently did a coolant flush (2010 with 68,000 miles). I didn't totally remove the radiator but the hoses were off so it would swing forward. Then there was no problem getting to the header nuts. Expecting an AreaP full system in the next couple of weeks and will replace all with Fuji lock nuts.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2016, 10:59:50 AM »
In this case it doesn't matter as far as repairing it, but it does from a statistical point of view- people want to know how old it is (typically in years and miles) before something like this happens or goes wrong.  Also, it helps to spot any trend that might be applicable to a particular model year.

I agree, its nice to know which years had the propensity for occurances, so a trend can be used for documenting issues of slackers that assembled these machines...

Just for the record, on my '08 when I installed cam sensor o ring, I found none of my exhaust header nuts had loosened one bit, I did test them all, and found no need to tighten any or replace any nuts with aftermarket ones.
Ymmv

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline angelo

• Some Ride Reports
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2016, 03:56:01 PM »
Well to follow up, like I said, went riding so no time for fuji nuts.  Regular 8 mil stainless from the hardware store.  High temp loc tite - in case it works. 

The tough to reach nut I got through the angle / flexible screw driver looking tool.  Tightened, not torqued.  The outside nut of cylinder 3 and both of 4 were torqued.  Great ride.  We'll see long term how it holds. 

Thanks for all the input.  Pulling radiator this winter maintenance so will check again then.