Author Topic: Gas Tank Cap / Latch Corrosion, Cleaning, and Modification  (Read 32731 times)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Gas Tank Cap / Latch Corrosion, Cleaning, and Modification
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2022, 04:05:45 PM »
Wasn't there a tutorial on that?  Me memory ain't as good as it used to be.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2022, 04:46:34 PM »
Even if there isn't, I've been thinking about this mod. I may take mine apart to do the mod and then see how the lock comes out.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2022, 05:11:44 PM »
Wasn't there a tutorial on that?  Me memory ain't as good as it used to be.

I was the one who posted the tutorial on the latch mod.  But not about the cylinder.  I searched for hours trying to find anything anywhere about how it is done.  Nada.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2022, 05:12:56 PM »
Even if there isn't, I've been thinking about this mod. I may take mine apart to do the mod and then see how the lock comes out.

The lack/key removal modification doesn't require removing the cylinder, or disassembling anything except the latch part.  My instructions warn pretty specifically not to allow all the rest of the stuff to come off, lest you will have a nightmare.

But I will carefully disassemble the new one and provide photos of what I find.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Big Red

• Arena
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2022, 05:28:17 PM »
I don't mind tearing things apart. Locks are one of my (too) many hobbies.
2010 C14, Shoodaben Engineering MRP Flash, Delkevic slip-on, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, highway pegs, tail tidy, AST peg lowering brackets, LED switchbacks all the way around, Bright2Wheels tail light, StompGrips, custom seat, 2015 C14 vented and blacked out windshield, Dunlop RS3s, and a Fat Ninja hat.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2022, 04:30:01 PM »
This thread has been around coming on 7 years now.  And I like thread reuse.  But I spent a significant amount of time creating some general gas-cap replacement instructions and placed that in a different thread here:  http://zggtr.org/index.php?topic=25405.0  since it is a different topic flavor and also so the main new material will be at the top.

This thread is still perfectly fine for discussion of the corrosion issues, latch "no key to close" modification, etc. :)