Author Topic: 2008 C14 ignition issue?  (Read 3343 times)

Offline leisyman

2008 C14 ignition issue?
« on: May 16, 2015, 01:17:44 PM »
When I turn off the ignition, either OFF or FSS, sometimes it flashes all the lights four times before shutting off. i am used to it flashing only once before shutting off. i just purchased and installed a new battery, (stock one lasted almost 7 years), thinking it was a battery issue; however, it still does the same thing: flashes lights and can hear several relays clicking four times before shutting off.
No error codes.

Do I have a problem? it is definitely different that it has been before. I installed an electronic flasher relay to return flash rate to stock. converted 3 wire to two wire relay and left the ground unhooked. could that have anything to do with the issue?
I recently added additional LED turn signal strips to the front signals, mounted on the bottom edge of the mirrors. But it started the 'four flash thing' before i installed any of the additional parts.

30k miles
Thanks
Ron

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: 2008 C14 ignition issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 05:19:42 PM »
I'd take everything off and hope you can get it back to stock and see if that helps.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline leisyman

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 05:26:37 PM »
I began to experience the four flashes before I installed any parts, but it is certainly worth a try.
Was wondering if the flashes are some kind of error code.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 07:07:46 PM »
Interesting situation.

As far as I know, multiple flashes do not occur on a stock C-14. The only thing that causes that that I am aware of is an alarm system, and that must be manually wired into the turn signal lights for that to even work. The bike does not flash error codes through any external (non- dash) part of the bike, again to the best of my knowledge.

Given that the bike has a new battery and assuming the cables are tight (from the new battery), nothing comes to mind to check other than what Jim said- remove farkles and try to find the cause that way.

Best of luck and please do report back if / when you find the source of the problem.

Brian

When I turn off the ignition, either OFF or FSS, sometimes it flashes all the lights four times before shutting off. i am used to it flashing only once before shutting off. i just purchased and installed a new battery, (stock one lasted almost 7 years), thinking it was a battery issue; however, it still does the same thing: flashes lights and can hear several relays clicking four times before shutting off.
No error codes.

Do I have a problem? it is definitely different that it has been before. I installed an electronic flasher relay to return flash rate to stock. converted 3 wire to two wire relay and left the ground unhooked. could that have anything to do with the issue?
I recently added additional LED turn signal strips to the front signals, mounted on the bottom edge of the mirrors. But it started the 'four flash thing' before i installed any of the additional parts.

30k miles
Thanks
Ron
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Dade22

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 01:21:59 PM »
If you changed to a solid state flasher unit and are running led turns this will happen.  It's back feeding into the system.  Make sure all turn signals are off before turning off the bike.  Make a real interesting time when its in gear and does that flash thing.  It's like riding a broncho.  A fix would be to put a diode inline with the flasher.  Keep it from back feeding.
"To punish and enslave..."

Offline leisyman

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
Thanks Dade22. Makes good sense.  That is what i needed to hear. Found out today that if i have the emergency flashers on, it will flash multiple times beyond the four i was talking about. Has to  be feedback from the signals and solid state flasher. Good call:)
I will try the diode inline with flasher signal,(assuming the output wire rather than the input wire;)?

Thanks again
Ron

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 03:18:32 PM »
If you changed to a solid state flasher unit and are running led turns this will happen.  It's back feeding into the system.  Make sure all turn signals are off before turning off the bike.  Make a real interesting time when its in gear and does that flash thing.  It's like riding a broncho.  A fix would be to put a diode inline with the flasher.  Keep it from back feeding.

That is an excellent catch!  And I am considering changing to an electronic flasher due to issues with my setup.  I wonder why if this is a known issue, they wouldn't include a diode in the circuit??
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline leisyman

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 08:41:41 AM »
Update:
Installed blocking diode in output of relay and,  :banana :banana :banana
No more flashing! Works perfectly now, just as it should.
Nice call and  Dade22 THANK YOU!
Ron