Author Topic: Concours vs R1  (Read 19376 times)

Offline aspire61

• 08 concours + 85 madura 1200
Concours vs R1
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:53:23 PM »
Heh all:

I am a little to old to take up street racing, but then there was that little part of me that said ...."why not"? Long story short my start was horrible, but i passed him just before my red light came on and my bike choked. I'm assuming i over revved it and one or two cyclinders de-activated. Am I correct?
I'm also a little to old to be driving fast but again that other part of me won out. This time I was on a straight flat six mile stretch when I opened it up. I took it up to 250 kph and stayed there for a while. It actually ran quite nice.  Two interesting things happened though - I seemed to be able to watch my gas gauge click down by the minute, and each of my tires gained one PSI. Heat or centrifugal force?
My third question is - I went into the red zone a couple of times but my engine didn't cut back. Does anyone know exactly where this happens?
I bought the bike second hand with an Area P, but I have now way of knowing if its been remapped. Any feedback would be appreciated.

chrs- mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: Concours vs R1
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 10:11:41 PM »
No match for an R1....apples to oranges.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline aspire61

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 10:29:01 PM »
Heh Pokey:
I was suprised as well. The problem the R1 had was keeping his front wheel down. If you check the 0 to 60 times they are actually quite close unless they use one of those gadgets that keep it from lifting.     mat
No mans opinion is entirely worthless- even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 04:57:39 AM »
Heh all:

I am a little to old to take up street racing, but then there was that little part of me that said ...."why not"? Long story short my start was horrible, but i passed him just before my red light came on and my bike choked. I'm assuming i over revved it and one or two cyclinders de-activated. Am I correct?
I'm also a little to old to be driving fast but again that other part of me won out. This time I was on a straight flat six mile stretch when I opened it up. I took it up to 250 kph and stayed there for a while. It actually ran quite nice.  Two interesting things happened though - I seemed to be able to watch my gas gauge click down by the minute, and each of my tires gained one PSI. Heat or centrifugal force?
My third question is - I went into the red zone a couple of times but my engine didn't cut back. Does anyone know exactly where this happens?
I bought the bike second hand with an Area P, but I have now way of knowing if its been remapped. Any feedback would be appreciated.

chrs- mat

There is a rev limiter that kicks in around 10.5k RPMs or so. But there is nothing that de-activates one or two cylinders, not on purpose anyways.  :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:39:09 AM »
Heh Pokey:
I was suprised as well. The problem the R1 had was keeping his front wheel down. If you check the 0 to 60 times they are actually quite close unless they use one of those gadgets that keep it from lifting.     mat

All about the rider.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline katata1100

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 07:56:48 AM »
Just noticed that you have a Madura 1200 in your sig, and I thought I was the only one that bought one :D

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 03:41:30 PM »
Getting out of the hole, the Concours will actually tick 60 faster, because of the ability to lay down more power without flipping.  That said, the R1 should walk away at half track (on a stock Connie) since their trap speeds are 15+mph higher.  But off the line, these bikes will run with pretty much anything out there, especially with a competent pilot.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline aspire61

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:05:33 PM »
ha ha- the competent pilot part is important, but I can't help but think its my saddle bags that help the most. I think most sportbike riders would be so overconfident comparing their slim aerodynamic machines to the connie that they think they would have an easy win. Throw in a little inexperience and ....SURPRISE!!

Heh katata - congrats on owning a maddy. Another sleeper that surprises other riders.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »
ha ha- the competent pilot part is important, but I can't help but think its my saddle bags that help the most. I think most sportbike riders would be so overconfident comparing their slim aerodynamic machines to the connie that they think they would have an easy win. Throw in a little inexperience and ....SURPRISE!!

The aerodynamics of the bags probably don't matter for quite a while when accelerating from a stop.  The big advantage that sports bikes will have over the Concours is they are much lighter (which is because they are missing all the stuff that makes the Concours much better than a sports bike for anything except raw acceleration.... like convenience, comfort, durability, reliability, safety, etc, etc).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 02:25:29 AM »
11.36@123mph with a 1.89 second 60' time for a stock Connie (personal best, sans bags), and I'm pretty sure there's an 10.XX 1/4 in there with a bit more launch RPM.  Too much more and the slipper clutch just shudders and doesn't hook up very well.   MC News lists the '08 Connie as capable of a 10.63@127, and has the R1 (depending on year) between 10.19 and 9.88, with trap speeds up to 145mph.  The 0-60 times for the R1 are listed in the 2.8-2.9 second range, and based on my 60' and 330' times, mine calculated out at 2.69, so as I said, out of the hole the big girl is mighty quick.  But then her being much of a muchness tends to slow her down...

With an inexperienced pilot on the R1, they'd pretty much be embarrassed, or would end up flipping the bike on the 1-2 shift trying to catch up.   :D

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 05:35:47 AM »
or would end up flipping the bike on the 1-2 shift trying to catch up.   :D

LOL!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline x9rider

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 01:44:15 PM »
To answe the OP's question about the shutting down problem at redline, yes, the bike is programmed to shut down, call the police, and bicker at you about how fast you were going til the cops arrive.
2010 Concours 14 ABS - Blue

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »
I thought that was only in England....
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline TRBN

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 02:54:22 PM »
I'm able to put some 10.8sec/125mph 1/4 miles in!  Not 100% stock, but not really upgraded that much either.

Videos here:
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=9570.0

Aaron

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 02:41:21 PM »
Do you still have your timeslips?  I'd be interested to see where the difference in our times came from.  Here's my breakdown:

R/T:       .327 (SLEEPING...)
60':      1.898
330':    4.943
1/8:     7.405@99.66mph
1000':  9.538
1/4:     11.362@123.18mph

It appears that with 1.76 60' times you'd have times in the 11.1x range based on your trap speed being only 1mph higher than mine, but who knows.  I was launching a shade under 5k, and didn't like the way the clutch felt so I didn't think more RPM at the line would be ok.  I should definitely see how launching with the motor already on the cam (variable valve timing kicks in around 6k) does for a stock bike.  Gotta get back to the mainland...

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 04:27:16 PM »
When I was researching, these were the best verified/published numbers for a stock Concours 14 (1400GTR/ZG1400CBF):

0-60 MPH 2.9sec
0-100 MPH 6.8sec
1/4mi 10.76@126MPH

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2013, 04:40:28 PM »
When I was researching, these were the best verified/published numbers for a stock Concours 14 (1400GTR/ZG1400CBF):

0-60 MPH 2.9sec
0-100 MPH 6.8sec
1/4mi 10.76@126MPH

I remember seeing those numbers in one of the magazines. It's one of the reasons I started looking at a Concours.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2013, 05:33:35 PM »
this thread is funny.  my light 106 HP  600cc bike will slaughter my behemouth C14 at 130 HP

R1?  The R1 i had i wouldn't even line up with my C14. Waste of time!

May as well line up the ZX14 I had against the C14

This is a winning thread right here

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cuda

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2013, 06:41:38 PM »
You must have one fast 600cc bike because I've run with my buddy's 600 Yamaha 100's of times and it was a joke , and he is a VERY good rider...
 He bought a liter bike and had it punched out to close to 1200cc and now the tables are turned.
I guess Silver bikes are a LOT faster  :rotflmao:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:42:27 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2013, 06:44:56 PM »
You mush have one fast 600cc bike because I've run with my buddy's 600 Yamaha 100's of times and it was a joke , and he is a VERY good rider...
 He bought a liter bike and had it punched out to close to 1200cc and now the tables are turned.
I guess Silver bikes are a LOT faster  :rotflmao:

I was talking 1/8th of a mile on my 600, and if you care too I'd appreciate lining up with your bike sometime...win or lose.

back to R1 topic, I won;t just kill the C14 I'll murder it  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine