Author Topic: Grinding sound at 2 mph  (Read 3685 times)

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
Grinding sound at 2 mph
« on: June 03, 2011, 06:46:54 PM »
heard it in a parking lot last week, its louder this week. Put bike on center stand and spun rear wheel in nuetrel, did not hear it. touching rear brake  while rolling did not stop it.

I know I need to spin front wheel, check front brakes. but it sounded like the rear.

its not a constant sound, but it seems it grinds every wheel rotation

Any guesses?

Bike is 2001 with 27K

Any connie experts close to spring hill Fl, I will drive to your house and let you hear it (sunday ?)
Real men have tire irons, and use them.

Charlie

Offline Bmcush

Re: Grinding sound at 2 mph
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 06:56:07 PM »
hmmm  Pull all the brake pads  out (F & R) to ensure you still have pad material left, 1 mm is the minimum thickness, chances are there good otherwise you'd notice scoring on your rotors.

Has it always made this noise? 

Offline booger

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:04:22 PM »
Start w/ brake pads

Offline throb

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 08:52:31 PM »
How loud is this sound? 
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:56:08 PM »
Not loud, just can hear it, rolling in first gear at idle. But it is louder than it was 500 miles ago (last week) when I first heard it.

Yeah, I better check brakes.

Charlie

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 11:02:08 PM »
Could be a bearing too.  :-\
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 11:30:20 AM »
Well,
Even though you only have 27k it might be a good idea to pull the rear tire and then pull the o-ring off that holds the spline coupler to the rear hub.
Trust me on this one, 10 yrs on my 01 did have more miles, but the hub coupler was shot, yours might be on its way out and the grinding is uneven wear. If you have trouble getting the coupler out, spray windex or a soapy mixture into the holes around the rubber vibration plugs, then grab with a widw open cresent wrench and jiggle back anf roth, it will let go.
It has to checked off the hub also, it is a snug fit from the spline and difficult to see the complete fit area.
While your in there, you also have access to the rear wheel bearings, another easy check for noise.
Good luck.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline mach1charlie

• Lone Wolf... No Club
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 01:45:38 PM »
Yeah I had rear hub apart and greased splines with molly bearing grease 2k ago (new rear tire).

Could it be wheel bearings ?  Well the front is comming off for a new tire and brake pads this week.

Charlie

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2011, 01:55:18 PM »
Take off the front brake pads a go for a slow ride around the block. Do you hear the noise yes or no? If yes proceed.

Take off the rear brake pads and go for another slow ride around the block. Do you hear the noise yes or no? If yes proceed.

Put bike on center stand try spinning the rear wheel with your ear close to the rear hub. Do you hear the noise yes or no? If yes proceed.

Raise the front wheel and try spinning the front wheel with your ear close to the hub. Do you hear the noise yes or no?
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 10:05:15 PM »
Take off the front brake pads a go for a slow ride around the block. Do you hear the noise yes or no? If yes proceed.

Take off the rear brake pads and go for another slow ride around the block. Do you hear the noise yes or no? If yes proceed.

IMPORTANT:  Put the front brake pads back on in between these steps!!!    :rotflmao:

And, as should be obvious, don't use the front brakes when performing step 1, nor the back brake when performing step 2.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2011, 03:33:47 AM »
IMPORTANT:  Put the front brake pads back on in between these steps!!!    :rotflmao:

And, as should be obvious, don't use the front brakes when performing step 1, nor the back brake when performing step 2.

YES  :o
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010