Author Topic: Flat tire kit  (Read 4236 times)

Offline oldsmoboat

Flat tire kit
« on: May 29, 2011, 08:33:06 AM »
What do you carry for a flat tire kit?

I am looking at something like this:
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-expedition-pocket-plugger-tubeless-tire-repair-kit.html

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
Re: Flat tire kit
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:28:05 AM »
I prefer a cheap frugal 12v air compressor, with the plastic case removed, or there is a new Slime brand compressor that has a very compact case(my new favorite). This way you have an unlimited supply of air in case the first repair doesn't hold, or maybe you can't get a good seal, but slowed the leak way down. You will be able to stop and refill as needed till you can get a proper repair or replace the tire. With the CO2 carts, once you're done, you're done. I use the string type repair plugs, along with a reamer and insert tool, and also use rubber cement. Others use the Stop and Go plugs with varying success. In any case, if you get a repair that doesn't leak, you may want to buy a lottery ticket ;). There are also varying opinions on how permanent the fix is, and if you want to keep the tire on the bike with a plug in it. That's a whole other topic with the potential to turn into a tire or oil type of thread. :yikes:

SteveJ, temporarily on KLR riding assignment in California :thumbs:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:56:26 AM »
Thanks.
If I had to plug a tire I'd consider it a temp fix to get me to a tire shop.

Offline nosaint7

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 10:31:58 AM »
I prefer a cheap frugal 12v air compressor, with the plastic case removed, or there is a new Slime brand compressor that has a very compact case(my new favorite). This way you have an unlimited supply of air in case the first repair doesn't hold, or maybe you can't get a good seal, but slowed the leak way down. You will be able to stop and refill as needed till you can get a proper repair or replace the tire. With the CO2 carts, once you're done, you're done. I use the string type repair plugs, along with a reamer and insert tool, and also use rubber cement. Others use the Stop and Go plugs with varying success. ...

SteveJ, temporarily on KLR riding assignment in California :thumbs:

+1  on the Slime mini compressor - also a riding bud "used" CO2 cart's on a flat - ran out of cart's BEFORE the tire was full.  Was at night, COLD and his hands were kinda "numb".   
current: 2003 C10
past: Yamaha Vstar, Yamaha XS750, Suzuki T500, BSA 650 Lightning (yup - I'm OLD!)

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 11:24:36 AM »

Another option is this.

http://www.motopumps.com/

plus a Slime repair kit for about $6.  Same size and weight as the Areostich + Slime kit
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline dvitous

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »
What do you carry for a flat tire kit?

I am looking at something like this:
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-expedition-pocket-plugger-tubeless-tire-repair-kit.html

This kit is identical to the "Stop and Go" kit.   That's what I carry - and even used it to plug a tire on my jeep.

The jeep plug didn't seem to go off as designed - but was holding air well enough.  At the next Motorcycle Show, I asked the vendor what I did wrong, and he showed me.

He also told me the plugs were meant to be temporary - 50 miles or so til you can get it fixed proper.  Well... that plug was in my jeep tire for probably 2 yrs (not quite properly installed)... until I got a new set of tires!

I heard lots of talk on the CO2 cartridges...the 3 they give you isn't near enough.  At least double (6), or as noted above, get a pump.
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline Cybercraig

• Sprayboy-Services
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 09:38:30 PM »
A $7.00 gooey plug kit from an autoparts store and a Slime from Walmart got me home from Tomah. The Slime pumps up tires quicker than my Air-Sparrow ever did and costs a lot less. If you don't have a pump how are you gonna keep your tires optimal out in the boonies?  ???
'98 becoming more farkled up by the minute.

R.I.P. Steve Earl  "Mr. FJR"

Offline hawkeye4jw

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 06:30:09 AM »
I carry a Stop-N-Go kit and a slime pump. Have never had to use them on the road yet, but I have used the pump to fill the tires on occasion.

jack

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 08:30:13 AM »
A follow up on my previous post, if you use a stripped down compreassor, do not lay it in the gravel while running it, it will only last about 7 seconds. DAMHIK,IJK.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 10:39:47 PM »
A follow up on my previous post, if you use a stripped down compreassor, do not lay it in the gravel while running it, it will only last about 7 seconds. DAMHIK,IJK.
              REALLY!! Have you in fact tested it??
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline Centex

• Arena
    • Central Motorcycle Roadracing Association
Alan in Central Texas
2004 Connie COG 9476
2001 Ducati M750

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2011, 02:35:28 PM »
              REALLY!! Have you in fact tested it??

I've salvaged a couple of small pumps from various "emegency road devices", the ones with reflectors, lights etc built into a plastic tool box you stick in your trunk...
the pumps are all about the same, and do fail rapidly when sitting on the ground, they weren't designed to be used without some type of housing. A simple bent coathanger to hang the thing off the bike works well, besides, the damned things get pretty hot during usage....you don't want to grab one after it runs for 5 minutes......

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2011, 04:51:50 PM »
I picked up the slime compressor and a plug kit.
Thanks.