Author Topic: Murphs shifter bearing  (Read 5934 times)

Offline katata1100

Murphs shifter bearing
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:03:38 AM »
I ordered a Shad trunk from Murph and saw the shifter kit for sale. I thought pretty cheap, added it to the order (I think it was $21, don't remember).
My '11 just turned 5000 miles, I figured it couldn't hurt.
Took me about 20 minutes to install. Took it for a spin- wow! Before, the shifting would feel slightly off, don't know how to describe it. It didn't shift poorly to the point where I would think it needed service, just that I thought it shifted like it should. With
the bearings, it shifted much better, felt like brand new, the day I rode it from the dealership.I guess that plastic bushing (piece of Y%^U*!!!) is like shock absorbers-it slowly wears out and you don't realize how bad it is until you replace it.
I don't consider it an upgrade as it didn't make the bike shift better per se, it merely restored the shifting to the level it was at with 1 mile on the odo. I think this part is a must have and if you have over 5k miles on your bike with the plastic stock sleeve, spend $21 to see what you are missing. I think it a bargain to make the bike feel like new again.

Offline BanditDude

Re: Murphs shifter bearing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:56:43 PM »
I always felt that mine shifted poorly from the start.  It worked well enough 90% of the time, but worked poorly enough to always be on my mind.  I bought the kit at about 700 miles.

When installing the kit, the cheapness of the factory assembly was astounding.  A plastic bushing??  Junk.  Plain and simple.

To say that I haven't noticed any shifter problems in the last 3k miles (since installed) is the highest compliment I can give.  It helped the bike shift like it should've from the factory.

Wayne

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:15:24 AM »
I only have 8500 miles on my c14 and tomorrow I'm leaving for 8 days on it, I never thought that it shifted bad, compared to the Gold Wing it is like a knife through butter. But for $21.00 I guess I'll try one when I get home.  The only thing I did notice was I had to raise my foot kind of high to get it into the next gear but I adjusted the shift lever and now it's even better than before.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 01:50:52 PM »
Installed the bearing shifter yesterday as well.  I really don't notice any difference, however, am glad to have some solid bearings in there instead of the plastic bushing.  Neat.
Will

Offline Spanky

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:51:24 PM »
Just got mine in the mail today. I will get it installed next week and try it out  :D

Offline darrell

• Arena
  • Pay No Attention...
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
I added this little farkle last week.  Yesterday was my first ride with it installed.

I need to ease up on the mashing of the shift lever.  This swap makes the shifting smooooooth. 

-darrell
It's a tough life, if you don't know how to live it.

Ride West Ride Report

Offline Reddogger

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 09:33:30 AM »
What's the installation like?  Any pictures?
Thanks
"...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."                     

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Barry

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:13:01 AM »
What's the installation like?  Any pictures?
Thanks

I got no pics, but it's 5 minutes.  I'd use a vice to press the bearings in.  Worked like a champ for me.

Barry
Tail of the Dragon at Deal's Gap... Avoid it now, do a trackday.

Area P full exhaust, PC-V, Autotune, filter, flys out.

Offline mkorn

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 10:24:34 AM »
Murph's has a pdf on his site with lots of pics for the install.  it was very simple.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/docs/Bearinged%20Up%20Shifter.pdf

Good Luck
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 08:54:43 AM »
I just ordered it, so I will create another thread for the actual installation and pictures.  I looked at Murph's and it looks straightforward to install.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline dras

• Arena
  • The Invisible Man
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 10:26:05 AM »
It's so easy a caveman could do it!  ;)
Never get too busy making a living that you forget to make a life.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 10:31:40 AM »

I'll find out this weekend.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »

Even a Virginian caveman.    :D
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 10:57:53 AM »
I have been called a hairy ape before, but now, not so much.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 11:43:55 AM »
I have been called a hairy ape before, but now, not so much.

I'm sure that your wife meant it in an affectionate way.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 01:30:58 PM »
I'm sure that your wife meant it in an affectionate way.

:rotflmao:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 01:35:49 PM »
What are you laughing at?  >:( ;)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 01:38:31 PM »
Just remember the golden rule Jim, 'Don't force it, use a bigger hammer'. Everything goes together after a fashion.

Brian

I just ordered it, so I will create another thread for the actual installation and pictures.  I looked at Murph's and it looks straightforward to install.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 01:53:04 PM »
Thanks.  Since I can't ride it, at least I can put stuff on it.  Be a nice project for me and my grandson.