Author Topic: Will this winter EVER end???  (Read 42437 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Will this winter EVER end???
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2014, 02:48:50 PM »
60 today and throughout the weekend....snow Monday morning  :banghead:

VJ you're welcome to come down here.  I'll have SteveJ and the crew have something planned like food and riding, you won;t regret it.  Bring a sweater, its down to 72 degrees today!  It'll warm up later in the week  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2014, 03:38:30 PM »

Skiing is awesome in northern New England right now.  Almost 2 feet from that last storm.

http://www.cannonmt.com/camshot.html

I gave my C14 a gentle touch as I passed her on the way to the recycle bin in the garage.  I said, "Be patient my dear, your time will come soon enough".

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #102 on: March 14, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
I've decided I have some weird passive-aggresive thing goin' on...

Everytime someone mentions 70 degree weather (or better) I have an irrational urge to...   to...  I don't know what....   It's just cruel.

But everytime I see the 'new' sign beside this thread, I just gotta open and read it....

I need help.  (Or summer... ::) )

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #103 on: March 14, 2014, 05:43:37 PM »
VJ you're welcome to come down here.  I'll have SteveJ and the crew have something planned like food and riding, you won;t regret it.  Bring a sweater, its down to 72 degrees today!  It'll warm up later in the week  ;D

:finger_fing11:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #104 on: March 14, 2014, 08:28:55 PM »

Gator Joe's?
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2014, 06:22:07 AM »

Everytime someone mentions 70 degree weather (or better) I have an irrational urge to...   to...  I don't know what....   It's just cruel.

But everytime I see the 'new' sign beside this thread, I just gotta open and read it....

Jamie

I wouldn't call that irrational!   :)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2014, 08:46:43 AM »
I hope you understand that I am mostly kidding about wanting more snow / winter. Really, I just want the chance to test blow (easy boys!) my refurbished snowblower. Otherwise, this winter has lasted long enough and been, at an absolutely wild guess, 25% to 40% colder and greater snowfall than we normally  get. I burned more firewood by 1 March than I usually burn all year (and I will be burning into May although small fires and use much less wood than in the middle of winter). I just bought an new catalytic combustor in the stove as the old one was about 1/2 worn out, and today am going to clean the chimney (from the basement- not THAT IS FUN!). Got a new battery on the way for the bike 'cause the current one drops to 2 volts w/in three days of charging. So overall, I am with you guys and have had enough..... except I would really like to get a bit of time on the 'blower so I can tweak it before next fall. But it is not looking good for that to happen..... although it has snowed quite a lot (white out conditions) as late as May here but that is freakishly late in the year.

Brian

Jamie
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Conrad

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2014, 06:43:43 AM »
I hope you understand that I am mostly kidding about wanting more snow / winter. Really, I just want the chance to test blow (easy boys!) my refurbished snowblower. Otherwise, this winter has lasted long enough and been, at an absolutely wild guess, 25% to 40% colder and greater snowfall than we normally  get. I burned more firewood by 1 March than I usually burn all year (and I will be burning into May although small fires and use much less wood than in the middle of winter). I just bought an new catalytic combustor in the stove as the old one was about 1/2 worn out, and today am going to clean the chimney (from the basement- not THAT IS FUN!). Got a new battery on the way for the bike 'cause the current one drops to 2 volts w/in three days of charging. So overall, I am with you guys and have had enough..... except I would really like to get a bit of time on the 'blower so I can tweak it before next fall. But it is not looking good for that to happen..... although it has snowed quite a lot (white out conditions) as late as May here but that is freakishly late in the year.

Brian

Have fun with that chimney cleaning Brian! I did mine last week and I know how much fun it can be...

Maybe this will help?

Dick Van Dyke - Chim Chim Cher-ee 1,12 min

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2014, 07:48:23 PM »
Snowing like all get out here now....bloody awful if you ask me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2014, 09:38:48 PM »
I hope you understand that I am mostly kidding about wanting more snow / winter.
Brian

Brian - it's all good.  Your posts don't seem to have nearly the effect on me that I was talking about...  It's purely envy-driven. Our "southern friends" get to enjoy their ride much more than is possible up here.  My wife has suggested that it's some special form of SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder) that only northern dwelling motorcycle owners seem susceptible to...  I'm a proud Canadian, but I sure do wish we had a longer riding season.

Your posts - they bring back memories for me - I grew up in a big old house, heated exclusively by wood - we went through 3 long cord of hardwood every year.  Took down next years wood in the winter when the swamp was frozen - winter wood dries so much quicker - split and stacked in the spring - burned all winter.  We had an airtight that'd hold 30" pieces - we saved the knottiest stuff for overnight - rarely had to start a new fire, though mornings were cool...  Cleaning chimneys?  ours was hidden inside 6" of brick and stone chimney, so when it started to look like it needed to be cleaned, we'd put a grate over the top of the chimney, fill the firebox with pine and/cedar etc. and let'er'go - We had firemen come and warn us a couple times when flames were shooting out the top of the chimney, but it only takes minutes to burn it clean.  (I do understand this isn't the recommended way of doing it... :nuts:  but it worked...)

Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Rick Hall

• Administrator
  • Eruption
« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2014, 10:16:14 PM »
...  Cleaning chimneys?  ours was hidden inside 6" of brick and stone chimney....

I live next to the main road, so have to time my 'cleaning' sessions to near dusk. Too light to see the four horizontal blue (yellow) flames coming out the smoke cap, too dark to see the smoke filling the canyon. Else way after midnight, when the flames illuminate the snow in in back yard.... and my neighbors back yard. Nothing but pine up here :-/

The fire department came down once, apparently someone though I was grilling an elephant on the Webber. Why they didn't stop and see if everyone was OK before driving another 15 minutes to a phone or cell service is beyond me.

Rick
Rick Hall     1994 ZG 1000 "Sam"      xCOG #1914 (CO)
  GfNi H.P.   DOD #2040   1kQSPT 14.16   IBA #3274
    The Kawasaki Concours page at: www.zggtr.org

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #111 on: March 17, 2014, 03:25:20 AM »
Having had to respond to chimney fires, I can certainly attest to their dangers especially when the homeowners think that they've taken care of it themselves.  We had one in a home in the subdivision where the station was many years ago where the homeowner had thought that they took care of it with a garden hose.  Upon arriving, no smoke coming from the chimney.  Up on the roof everything looked fine. until we looked at the crack between the cricket and the chimney.  It was glowing red down below.  Down we go to the living room.  Removed the drywall where the chimney was in the wall and ceiling and found several studs in the process of burning or were totally gone.  That wall was on fire.  Thank goodness for them we thoroughly checked everything out.

The moral of the story is that the chimney liner has to be in the best of shape without any cracks in order for the above process to work without danger.  I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2014, 12:39:06 PM »
Yeah, I had a really light, slow burning chimney fire quite a few years ago and it was a little scary watching smoke come from <between> the bricks above the roof line.  :yikes:  Old house, old chimney and no doubt the flue tiles are not sealed. So I have taken a new path and never allow the flue temp. at the thimble to hold or exceed 400 F (at the outside of the pipe, internal temps (easy boys!) are closer to 600 F) which is not enough to touch off creosote.... or so it seems.

The other really easy way to step around all of this is to burn clean in the first place; with a catalytic combustor in the stove, my flue gas is about as dirty as natural gas- perfectly clear and leaves virtually nothing anywhere in the flue or chimney. The downside is that as the combustor fails, the stove turns into one of those smoldering messes that were oh so popular in the 70's and 80's. That is what left the debris in my chimney that I recently cleaned out.

Now about the chimney cleaner: I bought this cheap but [I was hoping] adequate kit: http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-Inc-RCH205-Chimney-Cleaning/dp/B0010H5JXA   I had an older, thread type fiberglass rod set up but that was a gigantic pain in the butt and did not work well at all, at least it did not for me.  But this foolish thing worked amazingly well! It is really nothing more than a weed eater (it literally uses weed eater line as the 'whip') on a stick that is spun by a drill and worked up / down the chimney. One of the really cool parts is that because of the button lock on all connected pieces, it can be rotated in either direction and what I found worked fantastically well was to make three passes over a 3' length of chimney, changing rotation each time. The second and third passes really loosened up the garbage in the flue, I I think because the whip was coming at the debris from the other side and knocking it off.

I have a little bit of hard, glazed creosote near the thimble that this thing would not entirely remove. I am thinking about replacing the weed eater plastic whip lines with steel cable and having at it again. The cable should be fairly kind to the chimney while being more aggressive than the plastic. I am just not going to use one of the chain cleaners because I think it would chip / crack the fuel tiles, especially near the joints so while a chain head cleaner might work great, I think it is too aggressive for an older chimney.

Brian

Having had to respond to chimney fires, I can certainly attest to their dangers especially when the homeowners think that they've taken care of it themselves.  We had one in a home in the subdivision where the station was many years ago where the homeowner had thought that they took care of it with a garden hose.  Upon arriving, no smoke coming from the chimney.  Up on the roof everything looked fine. until we looked at the crack between the cricket and the chimney.  It was glowing red down below.  Down we go to the living room.  Removed the drywall where the chimney was in the wall and ceiling and found several studs in the process of burning or were totally gone.  That wall was on fire.  Thank goodness for them we thoroughly checked everything out.

The moral of the story is that the chimney liner has to be in the best of shape without any cracks in order for the above process to work without danger.  I definitely wouldn't recommend it.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2014, 12:45:44 PM »
South Florida homes have chimneys too.  When I asked a realtor why, she replied "one can't sell a house to Northerners without a fireplace; they just won't buy them without" 

Mine has never been used in the 10 years I've lived in it
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2014, 10:05:47 PM »
But I bet the A/C gets a work- out at least 10 months a year.... :-)

Brian

South Florida homes have chimneys too.  When I asked a realtor why, she replied "one can't sell a house to Northerners without a fireplace; they just won't buy them without" 

Offline Conrad

« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2014, 04:46:53 AM »

How else can Santa deliver toys to the kiddies?

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2014, 09:28:27 PM »
More teasing- forecasting 5" to 8" next Wed., followed by 1" to 3" on Thurs. but I am not falling for it this time. Nope, not gonna' snow. Just a big tease....

Brian

Offline Conrad

« Reply #117 on: March 19, 2014, 04:33:38 AM »
It was 50f here yesterday and nearly all the snow has melted! Rain last night so the salt has been washed off of the roads. I'm ready to ride!

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #118 on: March 19, 2014, 09:49:17 AM »
Buckeye spring "barometer"... (i.e. how close to "real" spring are we....?)

Monday morn I saw a dead Opossum on the side of the road...
Tuesday morn, I saw the same one, and another one about a mile further down the road....

today, I saw parts of the first one, the second one, and another on the farside of the road about a quarter mile before....

that right there is the clear sign spring is within 10 days,
and if by chance you see a combo like that, AND a dead raccoon it's a sure sign of less than a week.....heheheheheh

as soon as the coon appears, I'll be buying my license plate sticker... :rotflmao: :thumbs: :thumbs:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #119 on: March 19, 2014, 09:53:51 AM »
That 'coon ain't comin' down yet.

... AND a dead raccoon it's a sure sign of less than a week.....heheheheheh
as soon as the coon appears,
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:47:45 PM by Pilgrim »